Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 567891011 ... LastLast
    Made that high school varsity squad Solidape's Avatar

Default Re: The hypocrisy of hockey

Quote Originally Posted by Go Getter
    Yeah but the pile ups in football are frequent and it is very easy to do all sorts of cheap stuff without getting caught.
    Every sport has their cheap shot opportunities, only difference is that some hockey fans try to justify the use of those in their sport because hockey is magically a different sport and must have fighting or the game cannot work.

Start blacklisting players that fight from NHL and in a few years no one will fight, at least the smart ones wont.

Nuggets/Avs/Broncos. NuggetsFan's Avatar

Yeah but the pile ups in football are frequent and it is very easy to do all sorts of cheap stuff without getting caught.
    True. I feel with football the craziest hits are the legal ones tho and players don't care because that's football, just like fights are hockey. Really tho that's subjective, I feel I see more dirty plays in hockey. I could be wrong.

Made that high school varsity squad Solidape's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NuggetsFan
    They could and he will get suspended, and a player like Erat won't even have to drop the gloves usually. Like I said the game has changed.

Your issue seems to be with how stupid fighting in hockey is. Which I understand completely. Tons of people are like wait a minute why do they fight? That's alright, even hockey fans who believe that.

It's the comparing to the likes of NFL/NBA that's funny. It's like a non basketball fan being like hey they kick the ball in soccer, why can't they in basketball?

Take your issue with the creators/innovators/pioneers of the sports because are who formed the game. People with hockey just so happened to include fighting right or wrong how it is and why it's different from the NBA and NFL both of which I like just as much if not more
    Those dudes are long dead man.

Quote Originally Posted by Solidape

Start blacklisting players that fight from NHL and in a few years no one will fight, at least the smart ones wont.
    This is actually kinda getting funny now

Quote Originally Posted by NuggetsFan
    True. I feel with football the craziest hits are the legal ones tho and players don't care because that's football, just like fights are hockey. Really tho that's subjective, I feel I see more dirty plays in hockey. I could be wrong.

I know it seems like I want to tear down hockey but I don't. I'm challenging people's perception of hockey players compared to the perception of other athletes.

Those dudes are long dead man.
    Yup. Ask the people in charge now how hard it is to change the past. There's players/coaches/GM's even who probably want fighting gone. I'm sure someday it will too, but not anytime soon because as it stands now it's just such apart of hockey.

All tho they've added new rules. Ugly goalie fight this year with one player who didn't wanna drop them that resulted in a new rule, Emery I believe was the idiot. He got called out for it by the media, fans tho. Not sure how Go Getter didn't see it.

Every sport has their cheap shot opportunities, only difference is that some hockey fans try to justify the use of those in their sport because hockey is magically a different sport and must have fighting or the game cannot work.

I kind of get this feeling as well.

I know it seems like I want to tear down hockey but I'm not. I'm challenging people's perception of hockey players compared to the perception of other athletes.
    Which is easily answered. One sport it's allowed. Why it's allowed or should it be allowed? Say what you will. It is tho. Other sports it's not allowed. That's why people perceive them different. With that being said people/media do give NHL players shit for certain stuff surrounding fights, guess you miss it.

I'm sure other factors come into play, not that naive. NHL players make waaaaay less money, aren't in the media as much in America, come from different backgrounds, don't have as much off the court issues such as the Kobe incident, obviously racist people out there and it's mostly white guys. Compare Crosby, Duchene, Doughty to LeBron, J.R Smith etc. or whatever and yeah people are douchebags about it.

That's subjective tho, not concrete. Whats concrete is the rule book allows for players to fight in hockey and than get sent to the penalty box, NBA/NFL don't allow that.

Seriously, I've never seen a thread go in this many circles
    I guess what it boils down to is this (not directed at you Go getter)
    Humans are ignorant when it comes to things they are unfamiliar with. That's really the explanation to why hockey fights are not accepted outside the hockey culture.

Let's look at it another way.

What if someone up in Flin Flon, Manitoba, Canada who has never seen a lick of basketball in his life catches an NBA game. He notices that when a shot goes up from deep nobody goes up and challenges it before it goes in the net. We explain it's called goal tending, it's not a new rule, it's been around forever, it gives the other team a shot at scoring from far. The guys says, well in every other sport you can contest a ball/puck from the goal line in any spot on the field/court/ice, why is it different in basketball? Is it hypocrisy?

Is there something wrong with his perception? That's the way he sees it in other sports? What makes basketball any different? It all boils down to accepting different cultures

Bear Chested Da Brawn STATUTORY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hateraid
    Seriously, I've never seen a thread go in this many circles
    I guess what it boils down to is this (not directed at you Go getter)
    Humans are ignorant when it comes to things they are unfamiliar with. That's really the explanation to why hockey fights are not accepted outside the hockey culture.

Let's look at it another way.

What if someone up in Flin Flon, Manitoba, Canada who has never seen a lick of basketball in his life catches an NBA game. He notices that when a shot goes up from deep nobody goes up and challenges it before it goes in the net. We explain it's called goal tending, it's not a new rule, it's been around forever, it gives the other team a shot at scoring from far. The guys says, well in every other sport you can contest a ball/puck from the goal line in any spot on the field/court/ice, why is it different in basketball? Is it hypocrisy?

Is there something wrong with his perception? That's the way he sees it in other sports? What makes basketball any different? It all boils down to accepting different cultures
    what kind of analogy is that. Fighting is not enabled by the rules of the sport, it's prohibited in Hockey just as it is in basketball. what we are discussing is why society and audience tacitly acknowledge and accept fighting between players in hockey while abhor it in basketball. it's decidedly not an issue of rules but perception

Quote Originally Posted by STATUTORY
    what kind of analogy is that. Fighting is not enabled by the rules of the sport, it's prohibited in Hockey just as it is in basketball. what we are discussing is why society and audience tacitly acknowledge and accept fighting between players in hockey while abhor it in basketball. it's decidedly not an issue of rules but perception
    You've just agreed with me and didn't realize it

College superstar

Baseball has dugout clearing brawls every year, that result in only cupcake penalties, lets add them into the discussion.

NBA rookie of the year Styles p's Avatar

ahhh can't wait to watch this flyers and islanders game in an hour, hopefully wayne simmonds(he's black since this is really what this thread is about) beats the shit out of an islander.

Quote Originally Posted by Styles p
    ahhh can't wait to watch this flyers and islanders game in an hour, hopefully wayne simmonds(he's black since this is really what this thread is about) beats the shit out of an islander.

Man sit yo simple ass down.

Quote Originally Posted by Norcaliblunt
    Baseball has dugout clearing brawls every year, that result in only cupcake penalties, lets add them into the discussion.

Cupcake penalties? People get suspended for games that results in the loss of thousands of dollars.

Hockey players are the only athletes that get a slap on the wrist for fighting.