Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default "We were the most devastating, in the most devastating era."

Who said this? And if you know the answer, do you agree with the statement?

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

Default Re: "We were the most devastating, in the most devastating era."

I'm guessing it was one of the Bad Boy Pistons players, and although I somewhat agree, you have to admit their '89 championship run was one of the easiest ever, they played teams that were without their best player.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

I don't agree, MJ was the most devastating with Curry as a close second.

Quote Originally Posted by warriorfan
    I don't agree, MJ was the most devastating with Curry as a close second.
    gave up finals mvp to a roleplayer. fluke MVP

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by 1987_Lakers
    I'm guessing it was one of the Bad Boy Pistons players, and although I somewhat agree, you have to admit their '89 championship run was one of the easiest ever, they played teams that were without their best player.
    How ironic coming from 1987 Lakers.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 3ball's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ClipperRevival

Who said this? And if you know the answer, do you agree with the statement?
    Mark Aguirre said this during the Pistons documentary - he said the Pistons were the most devastating team in the most devastating era (the 80's)

I agree with him.

While MJ was the most devastating individually, the Pistons were the most devastating team, just based on who they beat - they beat a prime Magic, prime Bird, and prime Jordan.. No other team in history has beaten such a high level of talent, or FACED such high level of competition consistently - every year from 1987-1991, there was an epic battle between Pistons and either MJ/Larry/Magic, or all 3.

In today's game, that would be like beating Kobe, Durant, and Lebron - Dallas did this in 2011, but they weren't facing these guys in epic battles every year, nor did they employ a physically-intimidating, [COLOR="Navy"]era-defining[/COLOR] style of the Pistons.. That was an advantage of a 20-team league - the best players faced each other more often, which resulted in more legendary battles that stand the test of time.

The Pistons' era-defining, physical style is another reason they were the most devastating - they used a physically bruising style of play and tactics like the "Jordan Rules", which were every-possession double teams and hard fouling.. This gave them an aura of toughness that is STILL unmatched in the history of the game.. Accordingly, a big reason why the Pistons were the most devastating is that they devastated opponents mentally more than any team in the history of the game.

There is no better example of the Pistons mental intimidation then what they did to Scottie Pippen - in the 1989 ECF, they scared him into 10/7 on 40%... In 1990 ECF, they held him to 17/6/3 on 42%, including one of the biggest chokes ever in Game 7.. Bill Laimbeer described it perfectly: "We didn't even think about Scottie Pippen... It was MJ and the Jordannaires, and you can't win with just 1 player like that"... The Piston's ownage of Pippen is a great example of how devastating they could be.
    Last edited by 3ball; 10-04-2015 at 04:48 PM.

Thought Rodman said this, guess not.

Serious playground baller

is the answer Jason Terry

Serious playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by 3ball
    Mark Aguirre said this during the Pistons documentary - he said the Pistons were the most devastating team in the most devastating era (the 80's)

I agree with him.

While MJ was the most devastating individually, the Pistons were the most devastating team, just based on who they beat - they beat a prime Magic, prime Bird, and prime Jordan.. No other team in history has beaten such a high level of talent, or FACED such high level of competition consistently - every year from 1987-1991, there was an epic battle between Pistons and either MJ/Larry/Magic, or all 3.

In today's game, that would be like beating Kobe, Durant, and Lebron - Dallas did this in 2011, but they weren't facing these guys in epic battles every year, nor did they employ a physically-intimidating, [COLOR="Navy"]era-defining[/COLOR] style of the Pistons.. That was an advantage of a 20-team league - the best players faced each other more often, which resulted in more legendary battles that stand the test of time.

The Pistons' era-defining, physical style is another reason they were the most devastating - they used a physically bruising style of play and tactics like the "Jordan Rules", which were every-possession double teams and hard fouling.. This gave them an aura of toughness that is STILL unmatched in the history of the game.. Accordingly, a big reason why the Pistons were the most devastating is that they devastated opponents mentally more than any team in the history of the game.

There is no better example of the Pistons mental intimidation then what they did to Scottie Pippen - in the 1989 ECF, they scared him into 10/7 on 40%... In 1990 ECF, they held him to 17/6/3 on 42%, including one of the biggest chokes ever in Game 7.. Bill Laimbeer described it perfectly: "We didn't even think about Scottie Pippen... It was MJ and the Jordannaires, and you can't win with just 1 player like that"... The Piston's ownage of Pippen is a great example of how devastating they could be.

Nice read, loved watching the Pistons destroy teams.

I agree with him.

Mental intimidation?????? Sure if you call them literally karate chopping him in the head, elbows, and hits that would make Ronnie Lot cringe.

I don't see how a guy playing with pain should be considered a.choke.

I also find it funny that you constantly blame Pippen for the Bulls losing then say how worthless he was during their title runs. Which is it.

That quote is irrelevant to the overall career of Pip. Im positive that the Pistons players would say something totally different today.

Quote Originally Posted by 97 bulls
    Mental intimidation?????? Sure if you call them literally karate chopping him in the head, elbows, and hits that would make Ronnie Lot cringe.

I don't see how a guy playing with pain should be considered a.choke.

I also find it funny that you constantly blame Pippen for the Bulls losing then say how worthless he was during their title runs. Which is it.

That quote is irrelevant to the overall career of Pip. Im positive that the Pistons players would say something totally different today.
    Your Pippen fandom continues to shine through. Did you watch the 30 for 30 Bad Boys documentary? If you didn't, you need to watch it because even Pippen himself admitted he choked.

His game 7 in the 1990 ECF is the single worst choke job ever in a game 7 for a "second fiddle" star. 1-10 from the field for 2 points. He checked out mentally and Pip even admitted it. Why can't YOU accept this fact if the guy himself admitted it?

I agree with him.

Correct. Personally, the Bad Boys documentary is my fav basketball documentary of all time. And I also agree with Aguirre's comments. They were the most devastating in the most devastating era.

Quote Originally Posted by ClipperRevival
    Your Pippen fandom continues to shine through. Did you watch the 30 for 30 Bad Boys documentary? If you didn't, you need to watch it because even Pippen himself admitted he choked.

His game 7 in the 1990 ECF is the single worst choke job ever in a game 7 for a "second fiddle" star. 1-10 from the field for 2 points. He checked out mentally and Pip even admitted it. Why can't YOU accept this fact if the guy himself admitted it?
    And you're worse than he is. At least he readily admits hes Jordans side bitch.

I watched that video and I don't remember Pippen saying that. Either way calling what the Pistons did as getting into someones head is an understatement to the highest degree. They were thugs plain and simple.

Banned

I agree with him.

Goddamn, a legitimately good, non-obnoxious 3ball post.

Quote Originally Posted by 97 bulls
    And you're worse than he is. At least he readily admits hes Jordans side bitch.

I watched that video and I don't remember Pippen saying that. Either way calling what the Pistons did as getting into someones head is an understatement to the highest degree. They were thugs plain and simple.
    You watched the documentary and didn't see the parts I was talking about? You are a worse Pip fan than I thought.