Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Very good NBA starter

Default Re: dwight hitting jumpers

LOL at people saying he shouldn't practice shooting. This will open up his game. Go watch some prime tim Duncan guys and who says he isn't working on his Post moves??? This is just one vid.

good for dwight, its never a bad idea to diversify your game.. especially when you are so limited offensively.

i'm sure hes working on all types of other things, from ball handling to hours upon hours of work in the paint. that one dribble pull up off the pick and roll is something he should be working on anyway, if not with the jumper, at least with a little hook. regardless, hes the clearly the most dominant center in the league for a long time.

Local High School Star TryToBeUnbias's Avatar

hasn't he been working out with bynum on his jump shooting? I know bynum was working on his defense with howard as well

National High School Star MrUnstopable's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ElPigto
    If he needs to improve on his free throws then the Magic should hire a free throw shooting coach who will improve his mechanics. He doesn't need to be the next Patrick Ewing but rather the next Shaq.
    Shaq is a 300 pound phenomena.. Howard is a different kind of player.. he is an in between guy.. a jumper is exactly what he needs..

Quote Originally Posted by juju151111
    LOL at people saying he shouldn't practice shooting. This will open up his game. Go watch some prime tim Duncan guys and who says he isn't working on his Post moves??? This is just one vid.
    Tim Duncan didn't he have the type of power that Dwight has. Dwight is very close to young Shaq.

He gets fouled constantly since now one can handle his power in this post. Shaq never needed a jumper and I doubt Dwight will need one.

Quote Originally Posted by MrUnstopable
    Shaq is a 300 pound phenomena.. Howard is a different kind of player.. he is an in between guy.. a jumper is exactly what he needs..
    An in between guy? What the F does that even mean?

Quote Originally Posted by juju151111
    Exactly.. dodo birds at work..

Good High School Starter

Howard's always had a decent jump shot, he just doesn't have confidence in it in a game situation for whatever reason. His form isn't the prettiest in the world, but Shawn Marion, among others, have proven you can get away with a poor form if you keep practicing.

@ these clowns discouraging Howard from developing a jumper.

Maybe they never got to watch a prime David Robinson play. Robinson didn't have the best of foot work, but was (in my opinion) the most athletic center I was able to watch, and had a solid mid-range game.

Yeah, the guys are right. This 5 minute workout of shooting jumpshots will completely ruin his career. He has now officially fallen in love with the jumpshot.

Learning to shoot layups HOLLYWOOD's Avatar

I don't understand this. Dwight has the strength and size to dominate the low post. Why is he practicing jumpers when it is his post game needs work? He may develop an ok jumper, but if he had a good post game and was a semi decent free throw shooter he would be dominant.

Quote Originally Posted by ElPigto
    An in between guy? What the F does that even mean?
    That although Howard is extremely strong he is not 300 pounds... think about it...

Some of you all are such fools can't even have a descent discussion with yall.

Robinson also happened to have good footwork and could pass out of the post. Dwight has yet to develop these part of his game and he is going on his 6th season and only this season has his game resembled some sort of consistency from the post. Even then all his sh!t look robotic as if he didn't feel comfortable. If he were on my team I rather he work on his footwork. There is no reason he should be shooting jumpers when there is no one in this league that can contain him. He can get his way 10 ft in, why the hell should he work on a jumper. He should work on his horrendous footwork.

Quote Originally Posted by MrUnstopable
    That although Howard is extremely strong he is not 300 pounds... think about it...
    He doesn't really have any great defensive centers that can stop him. He is a dam strong dude. He was drawing so many fouls this season. He was the league leader in free throws attempted. If he needs to work on his foul shot then hire a free throw shooting coach to work on his mechanics (which I would do if I were the Magic).

Dwight does not need a jump shot.

I don't see the point of him practicing jump shots. It will 'open up his game' but by how much? Even Yao Ming, who can easily shoot better than Dwight, only takes 1 or 2 of middle ranger jumpers per game. In fact early on in last season Adelman tried to use him like Brad Miller he failed miserably. Seriously, he can practice all he wants but it's not going to help him that much in-game.