Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Andrea Bargnani plays preseason game in Toronto

Andrea Bargnani didn

Default Re: Andrea Bargnani plays preseason game in Toronto

Pretty uneventful. Here's a link to the highlights.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/n...gnanis-return/

Beastnani is gonna BEAST in NY. You heard it here first. 18/4/1.5 on .485%, 80% FT, and one thing for sure he's gonna be playoff bound!

Quote Originally Posted by lilbeastnani
    Beastnani is gonna BEAST in NY. You heard it here first. 18/4/1.5 on .485%, 80% FT, and one thing for sure he's gonna be playoff bound!
    I admire your blind loyalty.

You better pick him soon in fantasy then!

I can see the 4 rebounds (his usual well below average rebounding numbers) but averaging 18 points on a team alongisde Melo and Amar'e, I can't see that happening. I see something more like 14ppg/3.5rpg/1apg/.7bpg on .448% fg and that might be generous. I'm just glad he's New York's headache now. Never been so glad for a player to be out of Toronto.

Local High School Star

I am not really sure where he will get the minutes to average those kind of numbers ?

I mean I am not disrespecting his offense here... but New York was very successful with Melo playing the 4. I dont see Barges playing oversize 3.

He is definetely getting bench minutes and baring an injuries to all the big men starters I think I see the Knicks deploying him as an inside out stretch the d roleplayer with lots of 3 pointer attempts from the corner and lots of spread the floor.

I know Barges can drill it in the hole when he gets a rythem going ; I wish him well for his sake.... but honestly and fairly its 12 - 16 points a night no rebounds.

Willing to be proven wrong but...the rebounds generally come from inside and he will not be deployed that way i.e. as he was in Toronto.

They will also use Barges on rotate weak side D not man to man. So I would suspect he will play the non elite 3 opposition on D and rotate to the scrub 4 leaving the challenge zone extention to others.

Anyway best to him. I am not disrespecting the talent here its just he will finally maybe be deployed in a system that suits his game.
    Last edited by Jballer; 10-18-2013 at 05:05 PM.

They already said they want to start Bargs alongside Melo, so that whole bench minutes thing is false. If you're saying it's not gonna work, that's yet to be seen. But they do plan to have Melo/Bargs/Chandler playing at the same time, they've already given that statement. And they're gonna take glassman Amar'e off the bench as they have already started doing. So he'll get the minutes, he'll get the open looks, he's gonna surprise you guys, just watch.

Local High School Star

Well then if he does get starter minutes with Chandler/Melo one assumes he will get the points and touches. Your notes would be all that much better for a linky or two. I had not read anything on the net (i.e.NYpost) where the Knicks had confirmed line ups.

Amare is still quasi hurt now but will return and it is difficult for me to see that they will give Amare "bench minutes" in favor of Barges when they are paying him about 150% of what they are paying Barges. Just on pure "NBA social stigma" the higher priced guy often gets the starter minutes; albiet the coaches actually call the totals game by game.

I dont think my analysis is still off albiet I may be light on points per night if he is playing 32 min + with Chandler/Melo.

In Offense
    1) Melo will take most the shots - undestood
    2) Barges therefore plays an inside step outside scoring threat spread the D
    3) Chandler will be counted on to do all the rebounding

I mean we absorbed their stretch shooter in the trade. So what are the Knicks gonna do ? Ignore the perimeter shot ?

In D
    1) Barges will be shifted to weakside to play off the weaker of the opposition 4 or 3.
    2) Melo will rotate to play the stronger
    3) Chanler will anchor the middle.

All of which leads me to conclude that 1.2 rebounds per game is still in the cards or even less if he gets bench minutes.

I mean in fairness to Barges at least he wont be anchoring the 5 position and "expected" to suck up 10 + rebounds. His job will be to shoot 50% + from 18 feet and 35% + from the 3 point line when the ball is dished out to him from Melo.

Interested to see how Beastnani does in his second game against Toronto!

You obviously haven't done your homework, nor have you been keeping up with the pre-season rosters.
    http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/kni...rt-with-knicks

Andrea Bargnani failed to live up to expectations in Toronto, after being drafted No. 1 overall. But Knicks coach Mike Woodson thinks things will be different in New York.

[+] EnlargeAndrea Bargnani
    AP Photo/Bill Kostroun
    Andrea Bargnani hoists a shot at his first Knicks practice Tuesday.
    "I just think Bargnani, he's one of those gifted players that I think I can reach," Woodson said after the Knicks' first workout Tuesday. "And in reaching him, hopefully he can return it and help our team win basketball games and perhaps a title. Because I think he's good enough to help us."

Woodson plans to use Bargnani and Carmelo Anthony on the floor together at times this season. In that scenario, Anthony envisions that he'll guard the opponent's wing and Bargnani will defend the power forward. On offense, Anthony would likely continue to get opportunities to operate in the post.

Anthony said he's intrigued by playing alongside Bargnani because it will allow him to share the floor with a seven-footer who can stretch the defense. "It's just another weapon that we have," he said.

Playing in New York should also take some pressure off Bargnani. He was the face of the franchise the last few years in Toronto. But he won't be the No. 1 option with the Knicks.

"Ain’t no pressure on him," Anthony said. "You come here and do what you do, play ball. All the pressure’s on me."
    As for showing you an article to say that Amar'e is coming off the bench, just google it, you'll find hundreds of them.

Local High School Star

Good post...

I admit to not purposefully following the Knicks much ... I have always hated the Knicks but didnt see that post at Inside hoops or another site that shall not be named. Pretty much says he is going to play inside step out all season to defer to Melo.

As for supplanting Amare when he is fully recovered... well see. I remain a skeptic on that one despite Barges talents.

Well he played fine yesterday. 13 points 4 RBs 0 blocks. It is still preseason.

As I say to give Barges credit in some senses he will have a more positive impact in that rotation. (1) he plays off the ball to Melo and should have open looks (2) he is not anchoring the 5 spot and would not be counted on/ criticed for less than typical rebounds (3 instead of 8 +). It will come down to his minutes on the first line compared to Amare and Il Mago's streaky shooting. If he has a rythem and hot hand he may rack up some 25 point nights ; but I want to see what the minutes are in Jan when "in theory" Amare is up to full speed.

That's about what I have him pegged at. He'll score anywhere from 13-15ppg with the occasional outburst when he's on fire. He'll probably stay around 3-4 boards a game. He'll never been known for his outstanding defense, rebounding, or shotblocking so they pretty added him to be a 7 foot Steve Novak.

It's interesting that you consider those BEAST numbers in the first place, on a side note.

In 09-10 he put up 17/6.2/1.2/1.4
    In 10-11 he put up 21.4/5.2/1.8/0.7
    In 11-12 he put up 19.5/5.5/1.8/0.7

Still nothing to phone home about but better than the numbers you are proposing that he's gonna put up in NY. He's going into his 8th season now, he's a VET. So what you see is pretty much what you get. Not only that, he just went from a team where (at least pre-Rudy Gay) he was either the 1st or 2nd option every night to a team where on that first unit all he's gonna be expected to do is hit the occasional open basket and will probably be benched quick in favor of Amar'e or Kenyon Martin if his jumper isn't falling. I really see the points and not much else unless they smarten up and stick him with the 2nd unit where he'd really have an advantage.

So far this month, dude is averaging 17.3ppg on 52%/5.4rpg/1.3bpg/85% FT even better numbers than I predicted.

[FONT="Georgia"]BEAST[/FONT]