Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Dropping Out of College?

time is not running out for you, and youre still young. if u feel like college aint doin it for u and u want to pursue other goals, then do what u feel.

u need some punani. but i hope u trying to enter the biz is a way for u to snatch up some b!tches. do it for the love, not about losing your virginity

NBA sixth man of the year

Quote Originally Posted by Heilige
    I am thinking about dropping out of college to pursue my goal of getting into the entertainment industry. (acting/singing)
    You and 20 million other people.

Do you think I should go for it or would it be a bad move to make? I am 27 years old and live with my mom and am unemployed and have lived a pretty sheltered life. I would be finished with college in about 2 years and am getting a degree in Business Management. I would be 29-30 years old before graduating from college if I continued and stayed in college. At the same time, I feel time might be running out for me. Do most people make it in Hollywood/music at 30+ years old? I have no training/experience at all in either acting/music but I at least want to try. If I don't I feel I will always regret it. At the same time if I try and don't make it and don't end up succeeding at it, I feel I will be angry about it and never let go of the pain of not being a success in it.
    Bro, I'm gonna be brutally honest with you: You're a ****ing loser.

That's harsh, and I don't like being so rude about it, but wake the hell up. Are you going to remain unemployed living with mom until 30? You don't get paid to audition or sing open mic at bars. Lessons and classes are expensive, and having zero training you are more than likely going to be TERRIBLE for quite some time and continuous classes will run you into the thousands. Who's going to pay for that? Maybe you have some coin saved up, but it sure doesn't sound like it from your OP.

A sheltered, unemployed, 27 year old who lives at home doesn't sound like someone who can waltz into an audition (which are terrifying by the way, even for the experienced) and nail it in front of five condescending producers. Come on man. Do you have any idea how competitive and cut-throat the entertainment industry is? For every success, there are MILLIONS who spend their entire lives waiting for that break; many of them much more talented than you probably are. You come off as very lazy and unmotivated in the OP, and dropping out of school is somehow going to motivate you to practice and audition EVERY SINGLE DAY despite constant rejections? Don't see it. At least not yet. Work on yourself first, man.

What should I do?
    That is for you to decide, no one else. If you were my friend and asking my advice, I would say everything that I wrote up there, then tell you to get the hell out of mommy's house! At the least, get a part-time job and start some lessons. You've never acted before, you may not even like it.

You have no idea what to do with your life, I get it. I'm 27 too and know what it feels like facing a very, very unknown and often scary future. There is not a whole lot out there for our generation right now, but there is certainly more opportunity with a degree than without. Find a way to bring some balance and passion into your life: Stay in school, read self-development material, get a job, take classes, lift weights, and move out if possible. It'll be good for mind, body, and soul. Plus, the ladies like a well rounded and interesting man, and currently, you don't seem to be that.

Sorry for being a dick.

Thread abuser

Heilige are you still as fat as you used to be?

An Icon Forever

Quote Originally Posted by LilKateMoss
    Heilige are you still as fat as you used to be?

I am 245 lbs at the moment. I used to weigh 275 lbs.

Randy, no offense taken man. I appreciate your points, it seemed very genuine what you said. I do feel like a loser most of the time considering my life up to this point.

Deity ★ Persona Hoodlum Science's Avatar

I am thinking about dropping out of college to pursue my goal of getting into the entertainment industry. (acting/singing)

Do you think I should go for it or would it be a bad move to make? I am 27 years old and live with my mom and am unemployed and have lived a pretty sheltered life. I would be finished with college in about 2 years and am getting a degree in Business Management. I would be 29-30 years old before graduating from college if I continued and stayed in college. At the same time, I feel time might be running out for me. Do most people make it in Hollywood/music at 30+ years old? I have no training/experience at all in either acting/music but I at least want to try. If I don't I feel I will always regret it. At the same time if I try and don't make it and don't end up succeeding at it, I feel I will be angry about it and never let go of the pain of not being a success in it.

What should I do?

Anybody here working/trying to get in the entertainment industry and have any advice?
    You're one of the greatest trolls in message board history (and if that's you, mega fist pounds in your direction because you perfectly pull off legitimacy and sincerity in your posts - all the PMs you've sent me, as well as countless others, etc).

If forever ago and since the beginning it's all been 100% you and honestly looking for honest help with your threads/PMs such as this one going back many years, then I honestly do apologize and would like to share perhaps some RL worthwhile advice. (LOL, but I'm not buying it; I'm with RBA on this one - he was the one who originally called you out several years ago)

It's going to be difficult to make it in the entertainment industry, but certainly not impossible. Playing it by the numbers, you'd be much better off finishing your education. Finish your education, then take a couple of years off, and during those years, strongly pursue your Hollywood dream. See what happens, and if things don't work out for you, all good, you have your higher education to fall back on.

The last thing you want to do is pull some LD shit sucking endless weiner in hopes of being the "next big thing" ... when the only "next big thing" is being DP'd (booty + mouf in LD's case) by such mammoth ... instruments. What I'm saying is, you'd be much better off living in the REAL WORLD *COUGH COUGH* and not LIVING THE DREAM *COUGH COUGH* where you're nothing more than one of the millions of others chasing such bullshit. If said individual had actual talent, star-power, magic-eye or whatever the hell you're supposed to have to "make it" in that field of work, then OK, but no offense dude, I don't see you having anything that would surpass LD, and that should set off alarms in your mental that Hollywood bound is a NO NO NO! Let the failure of others fuel the success beast within you.

Finish university (I'm assuming that's where you are, since you're already in college and said two more years to finish?), and do something practical plus productive with your life. LOL, but for real dude, I think you're just one of the best gimmicks in message board history, much less ISH. If that's you man, mad respect.

Last edited by Hoodlum Science; 07-13-2013 at 01:09 AM.

NBA sixth man of the year

I am 245 lbs at the moment. I used to weigh 275 lbs.
    My man. Keep doing it! The small victories build momentum for larger ones.

Randy, no offense taken man. I appreciate your points, it seemed very genuine what you said. I do feel like a loser most of the time considering my life up to this point.
    Make a vow to yourself, right now, that this negative self talk you're involved in ends. RIGHT NOW. Start seeing yourself in a more positive light. I know my post didn't help that at all, but use it as a wake up call!

Sit down with a pen and paper and have a real conversation with yourself. What are you good at? Where do you want to go? What kinds of people do you want to be around? Etc, etc, etc. Know where you want to go, and start making small daily strides towards becoming that person. To be honest, acting probably is not your calling, but perhaps I'm wrong. Only YOU know that, so you better sit down and figure out what the hell you're going to do with your life. You're 27, there is no more "when I grow up", you are grown up and it's time to take charge. You're not gonna know all the answers and your self-doubt habit is going to immediately kick in, but KEEP GOING.

You better not fu[COLOR="black"]c[/COLOR]king let me down
    Last edited by Randy; 07-13-2013 at 01:02 AM.

An Icon Forever

Quote Originally Posted by Randy
    My man. Keep doing it! The small victories build momentum for larger ones.

Make a vow to yourself, right now, that this negative self talk you're involved in ends. RIGHT NOW. Start seeing yourself in a more positive light. I know my post didn't help that at all, but use it as a wake up call!

Sit down with a pen and paper and have a real conversation with yourself. What are you good at? Where do you want to go? What kinds of people do you want to be around? Etc, etc, etc. Know where you want to go, and start making small daily strides towards becoming that person. To be honest, acting probably is not your calling, but perhaps I'm wrong. Only YOU know that, so you better sit down and figure out what the hell you're going to do with your life. You're 27, there is "when I grow up", you are grown up and it's time to take charge. You're not gonna know all the answers and your self-doubt habit is going to immediately kick in, but KEEP GOING.

You better not fu[COLOR="black"]c[/COLOR]king let me down

Thanks man, I appreciate it. How often are you on these boards? I can PM you in the future if you like to update how I am progressing.

Use the internet to get famous if you're doing music. That's the easiest way to go about things. Spam your shit enough places and eventually someone important will see it. Network with other artists, and you'll be on in no time.

That's what I've done. I've developed a following, but I don't have the means to record anything high quality at the moment so I don't want to put anything new out. When I do, it'll be epic tho
    Last edited by ace23; 07-13-2013 at 01:13 AM.

Deity ★ Persona Hoodlum Science's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ace23
    Use the internet to get famous if you're doing music. That's the easiest way to go about things. Spam your shit enough places and eventually someone important will see it. Network with other artists, and you'll be on in no time.
    Tru dat, tru dat. Tell us, how's that high school drop out turned rapper route working out?

I'm just kiddin' man. Honestly, I haven't heard enough of your flow to really give an opinion ... but the beats I've heard that you've made from scratch on your own, I was noddin' my head to that shit. Especially that one that sounded like some old school Super Nintendo role playing game Final Fantasy or Zelda type shit. Maybe not fire, but dope. Dope nonetheless.

do you write your own tunes, either lyrics/notes are both?
    Can you play an instrument(s)?
    Can you produce a music track?

Quote Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
    You can't do any of this tho
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoodlum Science
    Tru dat, tru dat. Tell us, how's that high school drop out turned rapper route working out?

I'm just kiddin' man. Honestly, I haven't heard enough of your flow to really give an opinion ... but the beats I've heard that you've made from scratch on your own, I was noddin' my head to that shit. Especially that one that sounded like some old school Super Nintendo role playing game Final Fantasy or Zelda type shit. Maybe not fire, but dope. Dope nonetheless.
    love, LOJ

An Icon Forever

Quote Originally Posted by Hoodlum Science
    You're one of the greatest trolls in message board history (and if that's you, mega fist pounds in your direction because you perfectly pull off legitimacy and sincerity in your posts - all the PMs you've sent me, as well as countless others, etc).

If forever ago and since the beginning it's all been 100% you and honestly looking for honest help with your threads/PMs such as this one going back many years, then I honestly do apologize and would like to share perhaps some RL worthwhile advice. (LOL, but I'm not buying it; I'm with RBA on this one - he was the one who originally called you out several years ago)

I am not a troll man. You either believe me or you don't. I am looking for advice that is why I made this thread. If you think I am a troll, please don't post in my thread since you don't believe me anyway.

It's going to be difficult to make it in the entertainment industry, but certainly not impossible. Playing it by the numbers, you'd be much better off finishing your education. Finish your education, then take a couple of years off, and during those years, strongly pursue your Hollywood dream. See what happens, and if things don't work out for you, all good, you have your higher education to fall back on.

Yeah, I am going to finish college up. Who knows what will happen two years from now. I still need to work on myself first and foremost. If two years later I am still interested in the entertainment industry, I will pursue it. If I fail, at least I will have something to fall back on.

The last thing you want to do is pull some LD shit sucking endless weiner in hopes of being the "next big thing" ... when the only "next big thing" is being DP'd (booty + mouf in LD's case) by such mammoth ... instruments. What I'm saying is, you'd be much better off living in the REAL WORLD *COUGH COUGH* and not LIVING THE DREAM *COUGH COUGH* where you're nothing more than one of the millions of others chasing such bullshit. If said individual had actual talent, star-power, magic-eye or whatever the hell you're supposed to have to "make it" in that field of work, then OK, but no offense dude, I don't see you having anything that would surpass LD, and that should set off alarms in your mental that Hollywood bound is a NO NO NO! Let the failure of others fuel the success beast within you.

Who is LD?

Finish university (I'm assuming that's where you are, since you're already in college and said two more years to finish?), and do something practical plus productive with your life. LOL, but for real dude, I think you're just one of the best gimmicks in message board history, much less ISH. If that's you man, mad respect.

Like I said earlier, I am not a troll.

Quote Originally Posted by ace23
    You can't do any of this tho

Can you show us something you've done? Singing, acting, whatever

An Icon Forever

No to all of the above.

After going through this thread, I am starting to realize how delusional I might have been regarding this. At 27, starting from absolute scratch.