Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast

Default Re: Feinstein to introduce assault weapons ban bill

Quote Originally Posted by BMOGEFan
    Switzerland all people own a gun...lowest homicide rate in the world. Please explain the causation/correlation
    The Swiss army has long been a militia trained and structured to rapidly respond against foreign aggression. Swiss males grow up expecting to undergo basic military training, usually at age 20, after which Swiss men remain part of the "militia" in reserve capacity until age 30 (or age 34 for officers). Each such individual is required to keep his army-issued personal weapon Sig 550 rifle for enlisted personnel and/or the 9mm SIG-Sauer P220 semi-automatic pistol for officers, medical and postal personnel) at home.

When their period of service has ended, militiamen have the choice of keeping their personal weapon and other selected items of their equipment. In cases of retention, the rifle is sent to the weapons factory where the fully automatic function is removed; the rifle is then returned to the discharged owner as a semi-automatic or self-loading rifle.

To carry firearms in public or outdoors (and for an individual who is a member of the militia carrying a firearm other than his Army-issue personal weapons off-duty), a person must have a permit, which in most cases is issued only to private citizens working in occupations such as security.
    When the U.S. has also implemented these policies, then we can talk.

Quote Originally Posted by shlver
    Alcohol poisoning is a direct cause of death by alcohol.
    Yes, I have mentioned it in my previous post. Alcohol poisoning is indeed a direct cause of death by alcohol. But do you really want to compare the death rates of alcohol poisoning and death by gunshot? I thought it really wasn't worth even being talked about.

코비=GOAT

Quote Originally Posted by ripthekik
    Yes, I have mentioned it in my previous post. Alcohol poisoning is indeed a direct cause of death by alcohol. But do you really want to compare the death rates of alcohol poisoning and death by gunshot? I thought it really wasn't worth even being talked about.
    ? You posted something wrong then bring up something completely irrelevant to what you said.

Quote Originally Posted by Droid101
    Another bad example, until they start regulating guns as much as they regulate cars.

Great point. I heard over the radio yesterday.

There was a caller that identified himself as a hotdog vendor. After a day of work, he was robbed. So he decided to get a gun. It took seven days for him to get a license to carry a firearm. Then it dawned on him, it took three months to get a license to sale hotdogs.

? You posted something wrong then bring up something completely irrelevant .
    What??? What are you talking about?
    So do you want to compare death rate caused by alcohol poisoning now? I'm saying the chances of that happening is so miniscule.. it's pretty much possible to consider that alcohol does not cause death.

It's like saying scissors cause death because 5 kids per year are killed by it. It's so little, the chances of it happening are so slim, you have a higher chances of seeing an unicorn wearing a leather jacket than it happening.

코비=GOAT

What??? What are you talking about?
    So do you want to compare death rate caused by alcohol poisoning now? I'm saying the chances of that happening is so miniscule.. it's pretty much possible to consider that alcohol does not cause death.

It's like saying scissors cause death because 5 kids per year are killed by it. It's so little, the chances of it happening are so slim, you have a higher chances of seeing an unicorn wearing a leather jacket than it happening.
    What are you talking about? YOU said that alcohol doesn't directly cause death. I said you were wrong, then you brought up something irrelevant to your initial statement. You go off in random tangents and make assumptions. You did it with my earlier post as well. Stay on topic of what I write, not what you want to write to save face.

National High School Star

What are you talking about? YOU said that alcohol doesn't directly cause death. I said you were wrong, then you brought up something irrelevant to your initial statement. You go off in random tangents and make assumptions. You did it with my earlier post as well. Stay on topic of what I write, not what you want to write to save face.
    I gave up on this guy...no one knows what he is talking about.

I stopped when he said alcohol doesn't cause deaths.

Ok, I'll play your game.
    So alcohol causes death directly through alcohol poisoning. Should we ban alcohol because of alcohol poisoning?

What are the death per year caused by alcohol poisoning divided by consumption of alcohol (in a session)?

Compare that with death per year caused by guns divided by usage of a gun (in a session)?

You want me to eat my words and make this comparison? How does this help anything or your point? My point was made: alcohol is no where comparable to guns. You just wanted to argue with semantics.

Stop discussing things that go no where. Alcohol is not comparable to guns. If you want to dispute that point, go ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by BMOGEFan
    I gave up on this guy...no one knows what he is talking about.

I stopped when he said alcohol doesn't cause deaths.
    What happened after I shut up your argument with bringing up Switzerland?

Alcohol causes death? OK, fine. I did the math formula above. You think it has any, ANY chance at all at being higher than guns?

So many retards here, seriously.

코비=GOAT

Ok, I'll play your game.
    So alcohol causes death directly through alcohol poisoning. Should we ban alcohol because of alcohol poisoning?

What are the death per year caused by alcohol poisoning divided by consumption of alcohol (in a session)?

Compare that with death per year caused by guns divided by usage of a gun (in a session)?

You want me to eat my words and make this comparison? How does this help anything or your point? My point was made: alcohol is no where comparable to guns. You just wanted to argue with semantics.

Stop discussing things that go no where. Alcohol is not comparable to guns. If you want to dispute that point, go ahead.
    Once again, YOU made the claim that supposedly made it a void comparison. Your claim was wrong. Proportionality is a completely different comparison. Why do you insist on changing the discussion we were having?

Once again, YOU made the claim that supposedly made it a void comparison. Your claim was wrong. Proportionality is a completely different comparison. Why do you insist on changing the discussion we were having?
    Sure, my claim in saying it doesn't cause direct death was wrong, I fixed it, now I set it up above for comparison. Since you challenged me on that, now why don't you take on the comparison and tell me which is likely to cause more death?

This bill is gonna fail, too many assault weapons in circulation for a ban to be effective. And NRA/Republicans will still resist it.

National High School Star

Just ignore him. He still doesn't believe mental illness is the biggest contributor to murders. He still believes guns are the biggest factor.

Quote Originally Posted by daily
    And they're banned in Mexico which has a death rate so high it doesn't fit on the chart.

Already posted in another thread.
    Mexico's cartels are more powerful than their government. They can't enforce anything, let alone any kind of weapons ban.

Da Mavs

Quote Originally Posted by Graviton
    This bill is gonna fail, too many assault weapons in circulation for a ban to be effective. And NRA/Republicans will still resist it.
    The bill will NOT be retroactive...as in it will not effect the assault weapons that people already have...it will ban further purchases.

I think it's a decent start. Look, obviously most gun deaths aren't from these types of weapons. These weapons are still the ones most capable of mass killing and overall convey and uphold a culture of gun obsession and gun nurturing. I would be fine with having a specific license with an extensive process to allow people like hunters to have these weapons...but they don't belong in anyone's house or in the streets of our neighborhoods.