Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shaq vs. Bird

Banned

Default Shaq vs. Bird

Shaquille O'Neal vs. Larry Bird

1. Who do you guys have ranked higher on your all-time list, i.e. better career?
    2. Who would you rather build around?

They are different questions by the way because just because you would rather build around a player over the other doesn't mean he is always going to be ranked higher on your all-time list.

What do you guys think?

Default Re: Shaq vs. Bird

With modern medicine, I would take Larry Bird over any player not named Michael Jordan.

He's top 5 GOAT with life-crippling back problems. Imagine with the proper training, care, and procedures.

Bird's higher all time, but I'd rather build around Shaq. There's only one other person I would choose to build around over Shaq and that is Hakeem.

Bird is ranked 5-6th on All-time list for majority of fans, Shaq - 7-8th.

I personally would build around Bird: (nearly) GOAT offense, super clutch, excellent rebounding for his position, very loyal, have an argument for GOAT BBIQ.

Shaq has one advantage over Bird - very efficient volume scoring, but the only reason I would even consider him over Bird if I already had an elite SF/PF.

Still I couldnt rely on Shaq in the end of the game, or not to feud with teammates. Three years or so of dominant center is definitely great (till he bolts or is traded), but with Bird I get dominant player for much longer (at least, till injury).

AK47DR91
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

1. Bird has more skills but Shaq has more impact. I have Bird at #6 and Shaq at #7, but they're not that far from each other in terms of all-time ranking. I won't argue against somebody who has Shaq over Bird.

2. Shaq is probably #1 when it comes to who's the all-time best to build around.

1. Bird
    2. Bird

But;
    Peak wise 1984-86 Bird and 2000-02 Shaq almost equal imo.
    Prime wise, Shaq's prime lasted longer compared to Bird coz of Bird's injury.

Raz

Bird is more talented, while Shaq is more naturally gifted and has a larger effect on the game. I'd have to go for Bird, due to Shaq flaking on his teams and not trying his hardest. Guy didn't seem to care too much, and drifted in and out of games.

Bird made his teammates better.

Quote Originally Posted by Harison
    Shaq has one advantage over Bird - very efficient volume scoring
    And shot blocking, defense, and playoff performer/Finals performer in his prime/peak. He also 3peated to titles with less help than Bird got.

NBA sixth man of the year KyrieTheFuture's Avatar

Bird squared.

[ [ Sickplicity ] ]

I'd probably rate Bird higher all-time, and would build around him over Shaq as well despite O'Neal's iilustrious peak. I'd really only take Hakeem Olajuwon and possibly Jordan over Larry Bird to build a team around.

What? Peak Bird's defense was better than peak Shaq's...

AK47DR91

Quote Originally Posted by Legends66NBA7
    And shot blocking, defense, and playoff performer/Finals performer in his prime/peak. He also 3peated to titles with less help than Bird got.
    Yeah, I was to say Shaq basically won a three-peat with one guy(Kobe) and a bunch of fillers.

Raz

He also 3peated to titles with less help than Bird got.
    Kobe is a top 10 ranked player by 99% of posters. Bird played with no other top 10, top 20, or top 30 guys.

The big man, little man, nice role player method is excellent. Those Laker teams had some talent. Robert Horry was a vey good player, he just ended up being a spot up shooter.

The most stacked team Shaq played on, was the 97-98 Lakers including: Eddie Jones, Nick Van Exel, Kobe Bryant, Elden Campbell, Robert Horry, Derek Fisher, Rick Fox, Jon Barry. How did that team turnout?

Talent isn't everything.

Against weaker competition.

Quote Originally Posted by IGotACoolStory
    What? Peak Bird's defense was better than peak Shaq's...
    Shaq was runner up in Defensive Player of the Year voting in 2000. Ranked tied for 8th in 2001 and got consideration in 2003, 2004 (though, he wasn't a threat to win it). Ranked 8th in 2005.

Bird never had a single vote for Defensive Player of the Year. How was Bird's peak defense considered better ?

Besides, a Center anchoring the paint and providing help defense > a perimeter defender on the wings/paint and providing help defense. Shaq's a better man to man defender than Bird was.