View Single Post
Old 05-18-2009, 07:34 AM   #257
Take Your Lumps
Banned

Default Re: Atheists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasterL
I consider myself an agnostic thiest.

I think it is incorrect and arrogant for us to be atheists, especially on a scientific basis. some of the greatest scientists in history have believed in god or have been agnostic-thiestical types. einstein, stephen hawking, francis collins, etc etc.

I think the word you're looking for is Deist.

It's unfair to throw that bit out there about some of the greatest scientists in history choosing to be deists...when it comes down to it, the question of whether there was a creator present during the singularity isn't about who's smarter and who's not. It's a judgment call arrived to usually from your life experiences. I can sit here and tell you some of the dumbest people in the world have been religious but that doesn't hold any weight.

With theists, it always comes back to one question: "then, who/what created God"? If you stick with the creation event as a religious person, you can't choose to ignore it when it comes to your own God.

At some point whether you're a non-believer or a believer, you need to conclude that at the very beginning something created itself...as far as we understand.

For example...what seems more likely to you? That some bottom-of-the-sea-dwelling one-celled organism spontaneously generated or that a dolphin did the same?

To me, the question about the origins of the cosmos is the classic chicken or the egg dilemma. But if I had a gun to my head, I would have to say "egg" every time.
Take Your Lumps is offline   Reply With Quote