Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rank The Eras

Former Bulls Fan.

Default Rank The Eras

Rank the best eras in terms of skill level and talent.

1. 80s-90s
    2. 2000-Present
    3. 90s-2000
    4. Stone Age
    5. Ice Age
    6. Medieval Times
    7. 40s-70s

College star

Default Re: Rank The Eras

Quote Originally Posted by LosBulls

1. 80s-90s
    2. 40s-70s
    3. 90s-2000
    4. Stone Age
    5. Ice Age
    6. Medieval Times
    7. 2000-Present

FTFY brah.

Quote Originally Posted by LosBulls

1. 80s-90s
    2. 2000-Present
    3. 90s-2000
    4. Stone Age
    5. Ice Age
    6. Medieval Times
    7. 40s-70s

1.80's/90's
    2.40's/70's
    3.90's/2000's
    4.2000-Present [COLOR="White"]u mad brah?[/COLOR]

I rank the 50's, 60's and 70's 2nd for guys like Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, Nate Thurmond,Wilt Chamberlain, Kareem, Elvin Hayes, Wes Unseld, Walt Bellamy, Dr.J, Bill Walton, John Havlicek, Bob McAdoo, Walt Frazier, Lanier, Willis Reed, Elgin Baylor, Bob Pettit, Jerry Lucas, Elmore Smith, Cowens, Nate Archibald,Artis Gilmore, Sam Jones, Bailey Howell , Gus Johnson, Bobby Jones, Connie Hawkins, Earl Monroe, Rick Barry ETC

I also respect the fact that the guys in the 60's faced there piers more often than any other decade...For example, Wilt VS Bill 142 total games...Wilt vs Kareem in just 4 years 28 games... those 2 players alone =170 games. 16% of wilts games he played just 2 players GOAT players. And thats not counting other HOF centers...and all the other matchups of all positions facing eachother often..just used that as a sample....Not knocking shaq here but if Im remembering correcting, he didnt go up against his top 8 competition 170 times...

I respect this era big time dont get me wrong, and its HARD for me to rank them...Big men back then >>!! today thats for sure...Just my opinion I could just be bat shit crazy dont hate

Also to add just thought of this, a lot of the guys magic, Jordan, Bird faced in the very late 70's/80s were OLD 60s/70s players...they didn't dominate the league like it was filled with a bunch of D league players...Look at Era transition players Like Wilt, havlicek, Kareem, Gilmore ETC ETC and youll see that they could in fact ball in the later eras.

I'd say more and fine tune what I said to be more on point but I'm to lazy to write a bible

80's clearly above then it's pretty hard for me to rank the other ones.

Quote Originally Posted by SHAQisGOAT
    80's clearly above then it's pretty hard for me to rank the other ones.
    What makes the 80s better than the other decades?

00s - present - best/toughest era
    90s - best era for rookie (96 draft)
    80s - no defense era

gap

70s - waterdown era

gap

60s below - weak era

Quote Originally Posted by 97 bulls
    What makes the 80s better than the other decades?

Everything, general consensus among people that know basketball will say that the best decade is the 80's, why you're acting so suprised lol.

The 80's had amazingly deep teams filled with amazing players, yes there were bad teams but not as much as in every other era (on average), and almost no really terrible team.
    Had like 4 of the GOAT teams in NBA history ('83 Sixers, '86 C's, '87 Lakers, '89 Pistons).
    Then you had other really good teams throughout the decade, at some point, like the Bucks (especially), the Rockets, the Hawks, the Mavs, the Nuggets, the Knicks...
    The league wasn't watered down.
    Filled of excitment with a lot of amazing players like, Magic, Bird, Kareem, Jordan, Erving, Isiah, Wilkins, Moses, Worthy, McHale, Ewing, Hakeem, Barkley, English, Moncrief, Gervin, King, Dantley, Karl, Stock, Nance, Drexler, Aguirre..........
    Rules wasn't for p**sies.
    Historic and competitive contests and all star games.
    You had it all.

1. 80s
    2. 00s
    3. Pre-80s
    4. 90s

Quote Originally Posted by Pushxx
    1. 80s
    2. 00s
    3. Pre-80s
    4. 90s
    Not saying you're wrong but do you mind explaining why you ranks the 00's over the 90's?

Quote Originally Posted by jongib369
    Not saying you're wrong but do you mind explaining why you ranks the 00's over the 90's?

Mainly expansion teams. The gap between top level 90s talent and bottom level 90s talent is the biggest gap in NBA history.

1. 80s
    2. 90s
    3. 60s
    4. 00s
    GAP
    5. 70s (especially from 75 to 80)
    6. pre-Bill Russell

Banned

I'd chop up the time frame a bit differently
    1-88-97
    2-08-present
    3-60-72 (could cut it off around 69 too I guess)
    4-78-87
    5-98-07
    6-73-77
    Reasoning- 88-97 (especially the middle part of it around 90-95) had what was probably the largest number of true super stars in the league, and the distribution of talent was very even
    08-present
    similar to 88-97, but fewer true superstars, and the bottom 10-20% of the league is very very weak. However 80% of the league is probably more competitive then it has ever been. I don't remember teams like Phoenix or GS before they tanked ever being so far from the playoff race with a reasonable record.
    60-72
    Excluding the Celtics, the talent was pretty evenly distributed, and had plenty of top tier players.
    78-87
    Reasonably amounts of talent, but for the most part it was very unevenly distributed. Celtics, Lakers, 6ers and Pistons were the only teams with championship caliber for pretty much all the 80s.
    98-07
    No clue why, but there is a pretty clear drop in talent here.
    73-77
    ABA took away about half the NBA's all star caliber players, so it's clear why this era sucks.
    Last edited by magnax1; 10-08-2012 at 12:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pushxx
    Mainly expansion teams. The gap between top level 90s talent and bottom level 90s talent is the biggest gap in NBA history.
    You are viewing things in an odd vacuum.

Say for instance, there was a university that only admitted 100 top qualified candidates a year. Then the next year they decide to admit 120 students. The fact that additional students were added to the ranks, doesn't suddenly mean the requirements for getting into the university are less stringent. And it doesn't mean those 20 student didn't exist. Or that another 200 behind them aren't waiting to get into the school too. It just means a larger number of deserving people were allowed into the school.

Likewise, in the NBA, the talent was always there at the college and alternative professional level, but the league was more exclusive. So fewer deserving players were getting into it.

For instance, say the NBA contracted. Does that all of sudden mean there will be less people trying to get into the league? That all of a sudden, that the thousands upon thousands of ballers trying to get into the league will suddenly give up. No it just means fewer will get in and will be distributed outside the NBA.

There are always guys knocking at the door, fighting tooth and nail to get into the league, deserving, talented players that just don't get in.

Look at the Raptors in their first year of existence. .256 W/L record (1995-96). Look at them in their 17th year of existence: .268 W/L (2010-11). They've come full circle over the course of their existence. Not every team in the league can have a winning percentage.

In 1995 there were 29 teams. The year before that, 27, i believe.

Today there are 30.

Based on what you think, the league today should technically be more watered down than it's ever been.

But that isn't the case either. 99% of the elite players, all-star players, great players and good players will get into the league regardless of how many teams there are.

The league now is about as competitive as it was then.

1995--13 sub .500 teams.
    1996--13 sub .500 teams.

2010--14 sub .500 teams.
    2009--13 sub .500 teams.
    Last edited by Poetry; 10-08-2012 at 02:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jongib369
    1.80's/90's
    2.40's/70's
    3.90's/2000's
    4.2000-Present [COLOR="White"]u mad brah?[/COLOR]

I rank the 50's, 60's and 70's 2nd for guys like Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, Nate Thurmond,Wilt Chamberlain, Kareem, Elvin Hayes, Wes Unseld, Walt Bellamy, Dr.J, Bill Walton, John Havlicek, Bob McAdoo, Walt Frazier, Lanier, Willis Reed, Elgin Baylor, Bob Pettit, Jerry Lucas, Elmore Smith, Cowens, Nate Archibald,Artis Gilmore, Sam Jones, Bailey Howell , Gus Johnson, Bobby Jones, Connie Hawkins, Earl Monroe, Rick Barry ETC

I also respect the fact that the guys in the 60's faced there piers more often than any other decade...For example, Wilt VS Bill 142 total games...Wilt vs Kareem in just 4 years 28 games... those 2 players alone =170 games. 16% of wilts games he played just 2 players GOAT players. And thats not counting other HOF centers...and all the other matchups of all positions facing eachother often..just used that as a sample....Not knocking shaq here but if Im remembering correcting, he didnt go up against his top 8 competition 170 times...

I respect this era big time dont get me wrong, and its HARD for me to rank them...Big men back then >>!! today thats for sure...Just my opinion I could just be bat shit crazy dont hate

Also to add just thought of this, a lot of the guys magic, Jordan, Bird faced in the very late 70's/80s were OLD 60s/70s players...they didn't dominate the league like it was filled with a bunch of D league players...Look at Era transition players Like Wilt, havlicek, Kareem, Gilmore ETC ETC and youll see that they could in fact ball in the later eras.

I'd say more and fine tune what I said to be more on point but I'm to lazy to write a bible
    Thanks for the laugh

Local High School Star DirtySanchez's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom Kid7
    1. 80s
    2. 90s
    3. 60s
    4. 00s
    GAP
    5. 70s (especially from 75 to 80)
    6. pre-Bill Russell

THIS end thread