Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011
    3-time NBA All-Star

Default Re: Which Players Have Gotten the Most Overrated Since Retirement

Quote Originally Posted by julizaver
    I don't understand why some people said that Magic was the most overrated. Obviously they did not see him play. He was such an unique player. The most overrated player should be Bill Walton. And it is only because of injuries. He had great college career, had all the talent, but in his NBA career he was injured half his career and had only 2 or 3 good seasons (and they were also cut by injuries). I like him and his unselfish style of play anyway.
    because lebron fanboys cant accept the fact that a lesser player to bird has more rings than a player who plays like lebron. In fact I consider bird to be one of the most overrated coz he only won once in his prime where he had better stats. The first 2 rings was when he wasnt posting superstar numbers yet. They just really dont want lebron to be exposed just like oscar so they defend players who plays like him.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Dawn
    Jalen Rose
    Who overrates him? He was a good scorer on crappy teams, that's about it.

Quote Originally Posted by secund2nun
    Reggie Miller.

Jordan (We have people predicting he would average 40 ppg today and that he is the best player ever in every single category of basketball).

Penny Hardaway is the most overrated by miles since he retired though.
    Actually, Phil Jackson said something to that effect, along with a few other former NBA players and coaches...

The hand check rule has favored the perimeter game
    http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles...-place/page/15
    Last edited by TheMan; 03-25-2013 at 05:51 AM.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by TheMan
    Actually, Phil Jackson said something to that effect, along with a few other former NBA players and coaches...

The hand check rule has favored the perimeter game
    http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles...-place/page/15
    MJ could score 40 ppg, but depending on the team he played - I mean that he as a player could but it is not clear how it will reflect to his team. If he is in a team with consistent second scorer his numbers will be similar to the ones he had when playing.

National High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by knicksman
    Quote Originally Posted by La Frescobaldi
    The Big O won a championship.
    not as the man
    Big O Caps Sweep

[I]BALTIMORE (AP)

Quote Originally Posted by julizaver
    I don't understand why some people said that Magic was the most overrated. Obviously they did not see him play. He was such an unique player. The most overrated player should be Bill Walton. And it is only because of injuries. He had great college career, had all the talent, but in his NBA career he was injured half his career and had only 2 or 3 good seasons (and they were also cut by injuries). I like him and his unselfish style of play anyway.
    Overrated doesn't mean bad.

College star

Quote Originally Posted by knicksman
    not as the man
    neither did Kobe.

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by tpols
    It's fine to have him at the top spot.. He actually has the best case of anyone. But people literally scoff at you if you say someone else is better. If you put..

Larry Bird on the Knicks(instead of starks)
    Magic on Portland(instead of porter)
    Wilt on the Warriors(instead of webber)
    Kareem on the Jazz(instead of malone)

In the 90s with equal teams Is MJ going to lead the Bulls past all of them every year? There's probably a different champion every year.
    Arguably all of those, definitely the first two, aren't equal teams. And even then, I'd give the bulls a decent shot to still win 6.

College superstar

The Magic over Bird sentiments began to take root before Magic retired. It is indeed true that Bird was considered better over the first half of their respective careers, but the '87 Finals combined with Bird's injuries and Magic's continued success caused people's opinions to shift. So this is not a case of getting overrated "since" retirement.

National High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by jlip
    The Magic over Bird sentiments began to take root before Magic retired. It is indeed true that Bird was considered better over the first half of their respective careers, but the '87 Finals combined with Bird's injuries and Magic's continued success caused people's opinions to shift. So this is not a case of getting overrated "since" retirement.
    There was GOAT talk for Magic while he was playing, which I've posted on here before. So either they weren't following basketball at the time, weren't following what was going on past their favorite player/team, or they don't remember it.