Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    An uglier Lamar Doom boozehound's Avatar

Default Re: Gilbert Arenas charged with felony gun possession

Quote Originally Posted by Clifton
    Not registering a gun you have no intention of using to threaten is by no imaginable standard an immoral act. Gil kept an unloaded gun in the place where NBA players store their things. As long as that's all he did, this is an outrage.
    morals have nothing to do with it. Its illegal and he should have known that. If he wants to own a gun, do it properly according to your state (or district) laws.

I dont see you getting outraged about joeschmoe who gets jailtime for carrying an unregistered handgun in his car (for his own protection).

If you have an issue with it, work to change the laws. Dont suggest that he should not have to deal with the same legal consequences as your or I for violating a very clear and straightforward law.

shhhhhhh

Quote Originally Posted by SayTownRy
    you better be pretty handy with your knife to have a chance in that scenario.

seems to me like UK law is stacked against the property owner and in favor of the intruder. again, weakening the populace...
    last time the british let the populace have weapons they lost north america...lol

Dunking on everybody in the park

Specious logic-chopping. First, Gilbert doesn't do any work in the locker room. The locker room is where players keep their stuff while they're working. It's where they go after they're done working, and before. But can I say this again? It's a place where you store stuff. A construction site is where you construct things. The equivalent for a construction worker doing this would be to leave the gun in the car he carpools there in. Or in the tool shed. Which is only immoral if he uses it in any threatening way with others. And which should be a felony only if it poses some danger to somebody, like if there are bullets in or near it or if it's out in the open.

It's not just for Gil to go jail for a very long period of time for this, and I hate to say this, but it's also not just for him to lose his contract over this. I think players should lose their contracts for poor quality of play, but that's not how it works. Teams promise their players money. For the Wiz to look at this harmless, very much not-immoral incident as an opportunity to undo a contract they'd like to take back is unjust. If this contract gets undid, there are dozens of others that should get undid also. Artest's contract didn't get undid after he hit a fan: did Gilbert hit anyone? Did Gil cause anyone harm? No. Gil hugs fans, and tosses them his jersey. He also made the Wizards a lot of money by getting them into the playoffs for the first time in decades, something Michael Jordan himself couldn't do, for several years consecutively. Now he's starting to lose his touch, the Wizards think they can do better.... tough beanos jack. You already signed him to a bad contract. This is a mistake every team has made at some point or other. Why should you get out of it because of a technicality.

NO. It's people who kill or threaten people with their guns who make gun owners look bad. If people weren't killing and threatening people with guns, Gil wouldn't have to register his guns in the first place. Not registering a gun you have no intention of using to threaten is by no imaginable standard an immoral act. Gil kept an unloaded gun in the place where NBA players store their things. As long as that's all he did, this is an outrage.

Now if he's busting it out and loading it and pointing it at teammates, again, my view on that is that he should get pounded. I'm very specific in what I'm addressing. We don't totally know the story, or at least I don't. I'm assuming all he did was keep a couple unloaded, unregistered guns in his locker and now the sports media (no doubt fueled by Wizards management who have a hundred million bucks and lots of cap room to gain) is on a witch hunt.

Doesn't matter that it was in the locker room or the court. The fact of the matter remains, he took them inside the building on the property where its forbidden. No mattter how many of you dumbasses try to justify his foolishness,

hes wrong.

You're over here trying to split hairs on literal meanings of places.

I'll tell you what, why don't you go find Gilberts lawyers and pass them on the supreme knowledge you've dropped here.

Surely you'll be rewarded with a partnership at their law firm.

So by some people's definitions, his place of "work" is ONLY ON COURT?

Sorry buddies...but the entire building IS the place of work. The man makes millions upon millions. He cant find a better place to store guns?

shhhhhhh

Quote Originally Posted by oh the horror

Sorry buddies...but the entire building IS the place of work. The man makes millions upon millions. He cant find a better place to store guns?
    his place of work is wherever the team gathers, the airport, the hotel the bus to the arena and at the arena.. even if he travels alone and the transportation is supplied by the team he is on the clock

one thing i am vague on is were the guns not registered at all or did he not have a permit, or both.. two seperate things..

Local High School Star Alhazred's Avatar

Specious logic-chopping. First, Gilbert doesn't do any work in the locker room. The locker room is where players keep their stuff while they're working. It's where they go after they're done working, and before. But can I say this again? It's a place where you store stuff. A construction site is where you construct things. The equivalent for a construction worker doing this would be to leave the gun in the car he carpools there in. Or in the tool shed. Which is only immoral if he uses it in any threatening way with others. And which should be a felony only if it poses some danger to somebody, like if there are bullets in or near it or if it's out in the open.
    Fair enough, but he admitted that he took them out to play a joke.

On Monday, December 21st, I took the unloaded guns out in a misguided effort to play a joke on a teammate.
    His words.

http://www.mikejonessports.com/2010/...statement.html

Dunking on everybody in the park

Quote Originally Posted by oh the horror

Funny isn't it.

I'm going to go to work, and not take my guns to where I'm actually working, but to the breakroom and just set up four guns,

because, well,

its not where the work is actually taking place so everything should be fine and dandy with everyone, especially because, "they're not even loaded".

Saw a basketball once

this is one ugly dude..

Quote Originally Posted by gts
    last time the british let the populace have weapons they lost north america...lol

Looks like his NBA contract is safe. They are saying voiding it will be difficult and most likely a loser if it went to arbitration. Per Sportscenter.

So his $78mil+ is safe.

shhhhhhh

Quote Originally Posted by GOBB
    Looks like his NBA contract is safe. They are saying voiding it will be difficult and most likely a loser if it went to arbitration. Per Sportscenter.

So his $78mil+ is safe.
    he's suspended without pay now.. i wonder how long the suspension lasts? did they mention that aspect of it?

Quote Originally Posted by gts
    he's suspended without pay now.. i wonder how long the suspension lasts? did they mention that aspect of it?
    Nah they didnt. I remember when it first happened. The talk on sportscenter from guys was Stern suspended him indefinately until after the court situations is finally resolved and something is determined. Then Stern would make an official suspension. And his court date is awhiles away.

rank sentamentalist

*sigh*

Da Mavs

Quote Originally Posted by boozehound
    morals have nothing to do with it. Its illegal and he should have known that. If he wants to own a gun, do it properly according to your state (or district) laws.

I dont see you getting outraged about joeschmoe who gets jailtime for carrying an unregistered handgun in his car (for his own protection).

If you have an issue with it, work to change the laws. Dont suggest that he should not have to deal with the same legal consequences as your or I for violating a very clear and straightforward law.

Amen!