Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Mountain Lion vs. Windows 8.1

Fora. Few years I've heard most of the people I know just blindly say that Mac was a better operating system. I'm in the store a few minutes ago trying to decide between a Mac and a Windows 8 machine and i started to wonder....is this still true?

The one thing I like about Mac is th way they handle DPI scaling compared to windos and the fact that I can bootcamp.

Can someone give a quick pros and cons of each operating system?

Default Re: Mountain Lion vs. Windows 8.1

If you're a gamer don't even think about going the Mac route. Too many hoops to jump through.

Quote Originally Posted by Jameerthefear
    If you're a gamer don't even think about going the Mac route. Too many hoops to jump through.
    This pretty much it. Mac is just better at everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Jameerthefear
    Not a pc gamer. If anything I might play a couple of games. Nothing I'd base my decision on tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Bandito
    This pretty much it. Mac is just better at everything.
    Windows 8.1 seems better at multitasking. Snap seems to be implemented really well.

Apple's biggest selling point to me was actually AppleCare.

Banned

Apples machines are more standardised and so the OS can run nicely on whatever apple system you get whereas windows may be shit depending on your hardware.

Apple's prices are just retarded though and the restrictions their software puts on you are crazy which is why I avoid their products.

They just announced new lowered prices here, their base macbook pro is selling for a couple hundred bucks more than I paid for a higher speced dell laptop 2 years ago. The only update is it's a newer intel series of chips but it's a slower and lower speced chip

Also the latest Mac OS just came out, it's called Mavericks.

Windows 8 was designed for a touch interface, that's probably a pretty big deal if you are getting a touchscreen. For a lot of Windows users they went too far in that direction and 8.1 is bringing back a lot of the old ways.

If you get Windows 8 take the 10 or 15 minutes to learn how it does things, if you don't you're going to be annoyed. Windows 8 is pretty speedy.
    Last edited by KevinNYC; 10-27-2013 at 08:13 PM.

NBA lottery pick

Windows 8 = garbage.

Mavericks isn't all that different from Mountain Lion. Better battery and better efficiency on the macbooks.

Anytime someone is contemplating windows vs Mac, the only thing their contemplating is should I fork over all this dough for a Mac?

And the answer is, if you have it, yes. Mac is better.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Yearning
    Windows 8 = garbage.

Mavericks isn't all that different from Mountain Lion. Better battery and better efficiency on the macbooks.

Anytime someone is contemplating windows vs Mac, the only thing their contemplating is should I fork over all this dough for a Mac?

And the answer is, if you have it, yes. Mac is better.
    The windows laptop I would get is more expensive than the mac. I'm looking at the Samsung Ativ Book 9 plus vs the 13 inch MacBook Pro retina. I just don't get why people are saying Windows 8.1 is so bad?

IMO the samsung is a sleeker machine and windows seems to handle multitasking better. The cons are it doesn't have AppleCare, bad dpi scaling and for me...it's just all new.

Idk...just trying to get to why everyone thinks windows 8.1 is so bad...

What about Windows 7

Quote Originally Posted by fiddy
    What about Windows 7
    Don't want that. I actually like the direction that Windows is going with Metro. I don't get the resistance to the change.

Quote Originally Posted by IGOTGAME
    The windows laptop I would get is more expensive than the mac. I'm looking at the Samsung Ativ Book 9 plus vs the 13 inch MacBook Pro retina. I just don't get why people are saying Windows 8.1 is so bad?

IMO the samsung is a sleeker machine and windows seems to handle multitasking better. The cons are it doesn't have AppleCare, bad dpi scaling and for me...it's just all new.

i am posting this on an ativbook 9 plus right now. it's a great machine, i do recommend it. coming from a MBA that i couldnt stand. i am considering returning this however for the zenbook infinity if it comes out soon

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by IGOTGAME

First off, you didn't mention in your OP what your intentions/uses are with the laptop. Matter of fact with the two you listed it doesn't even matter... go Mac or you'll regret.

The only thing I hate about Mac are all the viruses and malware, said no one, ever.

Any thoughts on the OS X Mavericks?