Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Default Re: Lopez vs. Howard

Quote Originally Posted by gigantes
    1- think of it as an alternative to banging my head against a brick wall.
    2- yes- i'm related to all other human beings.

take your pick of any of these:

- lingering case of mono.
    - playing under a sanity-challenged coach.
    - right arm filling up with calcium, making it painful to use in a basketball game.

or let me put it another way- do any of those things sound like reasons why lopez should be playing better this season?
    "Lingering mono" isn't a reason to be playing subpar basketball. If you have mono, you can't walk straight, much less play an entire season of basketball.

Alright, are you closely related to those players? The reason I ask is because you're talking like you're a parent defending their young son/daughter, reaching and pulling every excuse card within your grasp.

Kobe plays with a broken finger. Deron plays with a strained tendon in his wrist and still, albeit his shooting is off, takes dives on the floor until his coach forces him to stop.

There are many players who play through pain, and still produce numbers and provide the effort. This isn't the peewee basketball league, man. It's the NBA.

I find it funny how you methodically defend Brook and pull out every excuse for him, yet you're that quick to throw Avery under the bus. I'm not a big fan of Avery, but please enlighten me, it's Avery's fault that Brook doesn't feel like rebounding or playing hard on defense?

Again, are you closely related to Brook?
    Last edited by RecSpecs110; 04-07-2011 at 08:07 PM.

   

Quote Originally Posted by RecSpecs110
    "Lingering mono" isn't a reason to be playing subpar basketball. If you have mono, you can't walk straight, much less play an entire season of basketball."
    is that right, doctor? and where did you go to medical school, exactly?

NBA rookie of the year It's A VC3!!!'s Avatar

i realize we are all nets brothers up in here, but the battering; is it worth it? whatever happens involing lopez will make us better, king would not trade lopez for garbage. that is, if he gets traded of course.

Quote Originally Posted by gigantes
    is that right, doctor? and where did you go to medical school, exactly?
    And who said you need to be a doctor to do simple research about an illness? I have two friends who had mono, they were both bedridden for about a month. It's serious stuff.

Brook had mono a year ago. He's played in every game this season. That wouldn't be possible if he still had it.

Anyhow, I'm done with this. Brook is a good player and, surrounded by enough NBA talent, would be a decent piece. But he is not a leader or a foundation. Mentally, he's a wimp. As are Outlaw and the rest of the scrubs on this team. Difference is that Brook was the one who was put on a pedestal and called untouchable, which I accepted at the start of the season but not anymore.
    Last edited by RecSpecs110; 04-09-2011 at 03:12 AM.

   

Quote Originally Posted by RecSpecs110
    And who said you need to be a doctor to do simple research about an illness? I have two friends who had mono, they were both bedridden for about a month. It's serious stuff...
    exactly; it's serious stuff. which is why one shouldn't underestimate its impact, even past the 'official' heal date. was that so hard to understand?

every athlete has disappointing and puzzling years from time to time, and my theory is that situations like this are sometimes the cause. i.e., you're not talking about an office worker who got over a serious illness and was able to struggle back to work in order to spend 90% of their time using a mouse and keyboard. no, we're talking about guys who need to be in peak athletic form to perform at their baseline, lest the fans and the fantasy league owners get pissed.

but meanwhile, while these guys were sick and resting, some of the physical attributes that helped make them peak athletes sunk down to mortal levels. and it can take a surprisingly long time to get back to peak levels again. i've seen it across a range of sports with a variety of guys.

the fact is that small differences can make wide differences in athletic performance. small differences like resting / active heart rate, lactic acid build rate, lactic acid tolerance, oxygen saturation potential in red blood cells, etc. not to mention body fat ratio, lean muscle mass, etc etc.

for me it's just the scientific method at work- if there are unknowns in play, err on the side of caution. work to increase your sample size and work to reduce your unknowns.

...Anyhow, I'm done with this...
    really? you mean you're going to stop repeating the same things over and over again? do you figure that's healthy?

Can't you guys can debate and not get all sarcastic on each other?

I think the word untouchable is used to much. Honestly I believe only a few players in this league are really untradable like LeBron and Dwight. I'm sure there a few more but not that much.
    There are players like Brook that are young, talented and have a long way to go but I'm positive that if the opportunity came and there was a trade for a better player, that we'd take it. But those trades are very rare. I think that D-Will trade this year was as rare of a trade as they come. It was a miracle and they dont happen often. Thats what Gigs is trying to get at I think.

So obviously all of us would take a Dwight-Brook trade but, in the mean time we need to think about devoloping Brook because if all we do is expect Dwight to come, I feel like were in for a MAJOR disappointment. Hoping and praying for good players is what Knick fans do.

yes, and if the owners had the time to wait to scientifically eliminate every possibility of what's going on with their players, they would.

unfortunately thats not how it works, especially in the circumstance the nets are in. they have a certain player they need to keep happy before he runs off and leaves the org a trail of dust. and unless they present a core of players significantly better by next year, consider that possibility an actuality.

I'll admit Brooks been disappointing this year, mono or not. But I'm still not giving up on him. If he continues to play like he did this season next year, then I'll be right there with you. I think its only fair to give him at least a full season with Deron to see if he really doesnt have that toughness.

Quote Originally Posted by MTing
    I'll admit Brooks been disappointing this year, mono or not. But I'm still not giving up on him. If he continues to play like he did this season next year, then I'll be right there with you. I think its only fair to give him at least a full season with Deron to see if he really doesnt have that toughness.
    i feel the same way.