Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    How Do U Like Me Mfer?

Default Re: Should Cavs Pick Derrick Williams over Kyrie Irving?

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
    The pick is going to be Irving. I'm not sure why this is difficult to understand.
    If they're serious about to get another PG still dumb move but if they do serious about it then they could pick Kemba Walker or Alec Burk at their # 4 pick and get Derrick Williams at the first pick and could trade Baron Davis to get some solid player.

But look at this line-up

Baron Davis/Ramon Sessions
    Anthony Parker/Daniel Gibson
    Derrick Williams/
    J.J. Hickson/Antawn Jamison
    Anderson Varejao/Enes Kanter or Jonas Valanciunas

or

Baron Davis/Kyrie Irving
    Anthony Parker/Daniel Gibson
    Antawn Jamison
    J.J. Hickson
    Anderson Varejao/Enes Kanter or Jonas Valanciunas

So tell me which one is better...I am going with Derrick Williams.

Seriously, the cavs thing is very interesting for nba draft.
    Last edited by Gundress; 05-18-2011 at 06:28 PM.

How Do U Like Me Mfer?

Quote Originally Posted by Meticode
    I say pick Derrick Williams, have him play the three. He's the most NBA-ready out of everyone in the draft. And pick either Knight, Walker, Kanter or Burks with the fourth pick. You want people in the seats and excited? Get Williams and Walker. Team probably wouldn't be very good, but it'd be exciting to watch to say the least.

I'm personally just not sold on Iriving. Too much of a small sample and plus the foot injury bothers the hell out of me. Williams has a much larger sample and he dominated the touranament with pretty much almost 20/9 on 60% shooting.

Co-sign and I like what you said about the seats and excited....good point.

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

We didn't trade for Baron Davis because he was the long-term answer at the point and, I like some of Ramon Sessions' potential, but more as a spark off of the bench, not a franchise point guard. I mean, the Cavs went to Davis when the trade happened to see if he wanted his contract bought out.

He showed a lot of character by deciding to stay in Cleveland for the remainder of the season last year and he actually played well, but still... That trade was all about the draft pick, not Baron Davis.

The pick will be Irving. If the Cavs really value Willaims and think that he can be an impact player in this league, they may look to deal with Minnesota to switch spots with them, since Williams doesn't really make a lot of sense for the T-Wolves.

I have absolutely no doubt about the No. 1 pick, though. The only thing that can possibly throw a wrench into things is if his foot doesn't check out. Outside of that, there really is no debate, here.

Byron Scott has a history of getting his long-term, franchise PG in his second season as coach. He did it with Jason Kidd.... Then, he did it with Chris Paul. Now, he is going to pull the trigger on Kyrie Irving.
    Last edited by RedBlackAttack; 05-18-2011 at 06:34 PM.

Irving is overrated. Williams is a stud tho

I'm pissed right now. 6th overall pick

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by KingBeasley08
    Irving is overrated. Williams is a stud tho

I'm pissed right now. 6th overall pick
    Who do you think the Wiz gone take?

What do yall need?

We didn't trade for Baron Davis because he was the long-term answer at the point and, I like some of Ramon Sessions' potential, but more as a spark off of the bench, not a franchise point guard. I mean, the Cavs went to Davis when the trade happened to see if he wanted his contract bought out.

He showed a lot of character by deciding to stay in Cleveland for the remainder of the season last year and he actually played well, but still... That trade was all about the draft pick, not Baron Davis.

The pick will be Irving. If the Cavs really value Willaims and think that he can be an impact player in this league, they may look to deal with Minnesota to switch spots with them, since Williams doesn't really make a lot of sense for the T-Wolves.

I have absolutely no doubt about the No. 1 pick, though. The only thing that can possibly throw a wrench into things is if his foot doesn't check out. Outside of that, there really is no debate, here.

Byron Scott has a history of getting his long-term, franchise PG in his second season as coach. He did it with Jason Kidd.... Then, he did it with Chris Paul. Now, he is going to pull the trigger on Kyrie Irving.
    Once again, not foot. It is his big toe. You can amputate that thing and he can still play basketball fine.

Made that high school varsity squad DwadeOverLebron's Avatar

irving is over rated, he's not off the charts athletic just athletic enough and he's not a great shooter but good enough, doesn't make the spectacular play but he is unselfish and passes to the open man, defensively doesn't stick out but not a bad defender... to me he'll be mike conley jr at best

on the other hand i think derrick williams is going to beast from the get go! he has an excellent shot already, he's a freak of a athlete and his improvement from his freshman to soph year is eye popping which means he has a great work ethic, i don't understand why people don't see him as a can't miss prospect! he's going to be a legitimate superstar, stoudemire light im predicting.

if i were the cavs they are in a great position, y not draft derrick williams #1 then kemba walker #2, i think walker can become a similar player to jason terry but with defense, i also like brandon knights potential over kyrie irvings.

don't understand what all the hoopla is about kyrie, and no he is not going to be the next cp3 no way!

How Do U Like Me Mfer?

I see what you're saying but like I said if they serious about to get a PG then they should pick Derrick Williams first and on the 4th Pick...Get a PG....
    Kemba Walker or Alec Burks...those two guys could be better than Kyrie Irving.....What if Kyrie Irving turns out he ain't sh!t and those 3 guys I mention doing great job.....it's better than sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by kaiiu
    Who do you think the Wiz gone take?

What do yall need?
    Probably Bismack or some Euro Big. We needa ship out Blatche and can use the best player in any position except for PG or SG

Banned

I'd pick the next Darko---Kanter.

What is it going to be?

The pick is going to be Irving. I'm not sure why this is difficult to understand.
    I don't either.

There are reasons why Derrick Williams isn't the consensus #1 overall pick and Kyrie Irving is.

1. Some people seem to believe Williams is an NBA SF and only a SF. He's not. In fact, the one thing that may hurt his NBA the beginning of his NBA is that he's a tweener, that it may take a few years for Williams to develop the necessary skills to legitimately define his NBA position. He's got some NBA SF skills but I'm not sure he's a good enough or fluid enough with his ball-handling to create his own shot off the bounce against other NBA SF's.

2. I do not think Kyrie Irving is the second coming of Chris Paul or even a future top 5 NBA point guard. However, there are not many weaknesses to his game. Irving is a legit 6'1" or 6'2" which is good size for an NBA PG, he can score from all three levels on the floor, and he's a good playmaker. Some Cleveland and NBA fans seem to believe that Baron Davis and Ramon Sessions are their future at the PG position. Davis is already 32 years old and you've already seen what Ramon Sessions is going to be as far as his ceiling as an NBA PG. In terms of overall status and impact, Irving may top out at what a prime Baron Davis was 5-7 years ago. And, who knows, Irving may peak as a multiple all-star top 3-5 PG for a few years.

3. Back to Derrick Williams. I do think Williams has the highest ceiling in this draft class but that's not necessarily saying a whole lot. Like I've already said, Williams is an elite level athlete with a good perimeter jumper. He's very explosive to the rim. Some of the dunks I saw him pull-off at Arizona were reminiscent of what you see Amare Stoudemire and Blake Griffin pull-off in the NBA. I'm not saying he'll be as good as either one of those players but the tools are there. He's smaller than both and, just going by the eye test, he doesn't appear to have great length to make up for his 6'7" or 6'8" frame if he is indeed an NBA PF.

In the end, though, I wouldn't call it a terrible or even a bad pick if Cleveland went with Derrick Williams. I just think Kyrie Irving is a better fit for Cleveland and they very well could get an Enes Kanter at #4. Kanter doesn't have necessarily have the ceiling of Derrick Williams but I think he does have the potential to develop into a very good 3rd option on a playoff caliber team.
    Last edited by KG215; 03-08-2012 at 09:02 AM.

French Toast Mafia Sterlingsucks's Avatar

Could they trade the #4 pick and the 14 million dollar trade exception to Minny and get both Kyrie and Williams?

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gundress
    I see what you're saying but like I said if they serious about to get a PG then they should pick Derrick Williams first and on the 4th Pick...Get a PG....
    Kemba Walker or Alec Burks...those two guys could be better than Kyrie Irving.....What if Kyrie Irving turns out he ain't sh!t and those 3 guys I mention doing great job.....it's better than sorry.
    Burks is not a point guard.... He is a shooting guard. Kemba Walker, I project as an undersized combo guard, not a natural point.

The second best PG in this draft, to me, is Brandon Knight...

Give me Irving.

Kemba Walker or [B]Alec Burks
    Alec Burks isn't a point guard, the other two PG's of the draft that could be sitting there at #4 and wouldn't be an awful pick at that spot are Brandon Knight and Kemba Walker.

...those two guys could be better than Kyrie Irving.....What if Kyrie Irving turns out he ain't sh!t and those 3 guys I mention doing great job.....it's better than sorry.
    This argument is so empty because you're doing nothing but using speculation to make your point seem stronger.

"Those two guys could be better than Kyrie Irving"

"What if Kyrie Irving turns out he ain't sh!t and thsoe 3 guys I mention doing a great job"

Yeah, well, what if Kyrie Irving ends up being really good and every single guy you mentioned turns out to be "sh!t"?

See how easy it is to make such a stupid argument?