Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Default Re: #55 NBA Player Of All-Time According to InsideHoops

Quote Originally Posted by StateOfMind12
    I do kind of wonder who actually deserves to be ranked higher between Ray and Tmac. I don't think either are in the top 50, both outside of it, but it's still a tough decision.

I've been hard on Tmac ever since he became a Rocket because I hated the way he played there. However, I did love the way Tmac played in Orlando, he was a completely different player really.

I think the same way as HardwoodLegend said in the past, Tmac's spirit/passion for the game was pretty much crushed after the 2003 playoffs and during the 2004 season. The Magic never gave him the help he desperately needed and he was always the one-man show and had to play like superman night in and night out just to get his team into the playoffs.

All that really does to someone is destroy one's spirit/passion. I can relate because recently I feel like I've been in Orlando Tmac's shoes and my spirit is going to be destroyed soon.

I use to criticize Tmac because Kobe, KG, Pierce, Lebron, etc. could continue performing well and motivated despite playing in garbage teams for all those years. I thought that if those guys could do it then McGrady should as well and that McGrady is just mentally weak because he can't. However, I have come to the conclusion that it is not that Tmac is necessarily mentally weak but rather those guys I just listed are mentally strong and they were better than Tmac so it shouldn't be that big of a deal.

I think Tmac should be above Wilkins for the record. Nique shouldn't be in the top 50.

Quote Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
    The only thing about Neil is he was one of the players pre-shot clock who didn't translate well when the blacks started to come into the league.
    1-2 black players were allowed per team in the 50s. Neil played his entire career in the 50s.

Banned

Votes

Sam Jones - 5
    Kevin Durant - 4
    Robert Parish - 2
    Pau Gasol - 1
    Tracy McGrady - 1
    Artis Gilmore - 1
    Reggie Miller - 1
    Vince Carter - 1
    Nate 'Tiny' Archibald - 1

Not sure if pauk voted, he just said Reggie > Ray, not necessarily a vote though.

High School Varsity 6th Man

Reggie Miller

Hal "Great teammate, great guard, outstanding longevity" Greer

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Blaze, your hate for Reggie Miller is the same as Glove's love for Payton/Kevin Johnson.
    Except not even doing so much as voting...ever...not latching onto any particular player likely to win and propping them up for the purpose of beating out Reggie.....and me being honest about how good he is and not acting like a guy who wasnt elite was better than MVPs who led multiple title teams. I was hoping Reggie would win 2 votes ago just so id stop reading annoying comments. I want Reggie ranked according to what he was considered when he played. He wants payton ranked where he is in his head...and for what he was considered to be disregarded.

Those things aside...similar.

No one is debating Miller to be a better player than Ray Allen, McGrady, or whoever else is being discussed.
    You either cant read.....are not reading...or assume some people are kidding.

What Miller did was will those teams to victory.
    Losing 19 years in a row is not victory. Victory is victory.

They are different things.

No, it wasn't Rik Smits, the Davis Boys, Vern Flemming, Travis Best or your boy Derrick McKey.
    It was nobody. It didnt happen.

Pacers made 4 Eastern Conference Finals that decade, one less then the Knicks.
    So they fell 2 series wins short of being winners more than all but one of the other teams that didnt actually win....

Again...just the standards being lowered.

Players who are special get laughed at for losing in the conference finals. Hell they get clowned for losing in the finals with teams that shouldnt be there. Perhaps they shouldnt be...but they are.

Reggie is a special case. Not actually being great lowers the standards enough that what he did do.....is made out to be more impressive.

If hes good enough hes a career loser(Malone...Barkley...Ewing)...since he isnt that good....hes a winner because hes on a different scale.

Who knew there was an upside to being worse in all time great rankings?

That silver lining around never being elite or anything even close to approaching it. You get the same credit for success without being called a loser when you lose 19 years in a row.

Good deal.

Alonzo Mourning, Chris Paul, Jerry Lucas, Ed Macauley, Chris Webber, etc... also deserve some mention in the upcoming polls.

Quote Originally Posted by Deuce Bigalow
    1-2 black players were allowed per team in the 50s. Neil played his entire career in the 50s.
    I should say elite black players. When he came in guyt like Earl Lloyd, Nat clifton and Ray felix were in the league. When he was leavin Elgin Baylor, Maurice Stoke and Bill Russell were around. I read a story of him not being able to get his go-to hook shot off against Bill Russell.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Fudge's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by StateOfMind12
    I do kind of wonder who actually deserves to be ranked higher between Ray and Tmac. I don't think either are in the top 50, both outside of it, but it's still a tough decision.

I've been hard on Tmac ever since he became a Rocket because I hated the way he played there. However, I did love the way Tmac played in Orlando, he was a completely different player really.

I think the same way as HardwoodLegend said in the past, Tmac's spirit/passion for the game was pretty much crushed after the 2003 playoffs and during the 2004 season. The Magic never gave him the help he desperately needed and he was always the one-man show and had to play like superman night in and night out just to get his team into the playoffs.

All that really does to someone is destroy one's spirit/passion. I can relate because recently I feel like I've been in Orlando Tmac's shoes and my spirit is going to be destroyed soon.

I use to criticize Tmac because Kobe, KG, Pierce, Lebron, etc. could continue performing well and motivated despite playing in garbage teams for all those years. I thought that if those guys could do it then McGrady should as well and that McGrady is just mentally weak because he can't. However, I have come to the conclusion that it is not that Tmac is necessarily mentally weak but rather those guys I just listed are mentally strong and they were better than Tmac so it shouldn't be that big of a deal.

I think Tmac should be above Wilkins for the record. Nique shouldn't be in the top 50.
    Let it out son, let it all out...

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    Except not even doing so much as voting...ever...not latching onto any particular player likely to win and propping them up for the purpose of beating out Reggie.....and me being honest about how good he is and not acting like a guy who wasnt elite was better than MVPs who led multiple title teams. I was hoping Reggie would win 2 votes ago just so id stop reading annoying comments. I want Reggie ranked according to what he was considered when he played. He wants payton ranked where he is in his head...and for what he was considered to be disregarded.

Those things aside...similar.

You either cant read.....are not reading...or assume some people are kidding.

Losing 19 years in a row is not victory. Victory is victory.

They are different things.

It was nobody. It didnt happen.

So they fell 2 series wins short of being winners more than all but one of the other teams that didnt actually win....

Again...just the standards being lowered.

Players who are special get laughed at for losing in the conference finals. Hell they get clowned for losing in the finals with teams that shouldnt be there. Perhaps they shouldnt be...but they are.

Reggie is a special case. Not actually being great lowers the standards enough that what he did do.....is made out to be more impressive.

If hes good enough hes a career loser(Malone...Barkley...Ewing)...since he isnt that good....hes a winner because hes on a different scale.

Who knew there was an upside to being worse in all time great rankings?

That silver lining around never being elite or anything even close to approaching it. You get the same credit for success without being called a loser when you lose 19 years in a row.

Good deal.
    It's not like I'm ranking Reggie close to a Malone or even a Ewing. I don't even have him in my top 60, he's right outside the 60 for me.

And he should get extra cool points for being the best player on a team that includes the Davis Boys and Rik Smits and bringing them to Conference Finals (and one NBA Finals.)

College star

Reggie Miller