Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

Default Re: Wilt Chamberlain free throw dunks:

Yes or no?

NBA rookie of the year

No, not possible.
    Many players with much greater leaping ability and much better verts couldn't do it. Wilt's physic is crazy overrrated, so is his goofy looking skillset.

So they made a rule based on a rumor started by an opposing coach, and a rumor that would reap no actual benefit?

Or maybe, Serge Ibaka isn't Wilt Chamberlain. Just a thought.

National High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by millwad
    No, not possible.
    Many players with much greater leaping ability and much better verts couldn't do it. Wilt's physic is crazy overrrated, so is his goofy looking skillset.
    I'll take Tex Winter's eyewitness account over the convoluted theories of an angry Wilt Truther.

Did Wilt bang your Mother or Grandmother back in the day or something?

Quote Originally Posted by millwad
    No, not possible.

You just dug your grave and buried yourself!

Nobody with a brain is going to counter such a bombardment of perfectly laid out evidence. The 3-step High Jump footage is the icing on the cake! Your opinion is F_CKED bro!

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/Vid...lain-high-jump
    Last edited by CavaliersFTW; 02-26-2012 at 07:59 AM.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by 32jazz
    I'll take Tex Winter's eyewitness account over the convoluted theories of an angry Wilt Truther.

Did Wilt bang your Mother or Grandmother back in the day or something?
    Haha, so awkward dude... And bang? Hahaha, go down on Wilt sone more...
    A mormon acting bad ass...

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW

You just dug your grave and buried yourself!

Nobody with a brain is going to counter such a bombardment of perfectly laid out evidence. The 3-step High Jump footage is the icing on the cake! Your opinion is F_CKED bro!

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/Vid...lain-high-jump
    "Evidence" the Wilt way...

Quote Originally Posted by mrpibb
    The amount of Wilt hate on this board is hilarious. I'm sure Deuce Bigalow will come in with some skewed statistics within the next ten hours. Because that's all Deuce does -- attack players.
    It's not hating on Wilt, most fans here consider him at least top 5 all time with some who puts him in the GOAT status. Me personally I dislike how his stans would believe everything they read or hear about him and preach it as gospel.

Also regarding Tex Winter's interview, he said Wilt wasn't on top of the circle but was 3 steps behind it. So at minimum, if Wilt could dunk his free throw he would need at least 4-5 steps to get to the line since he was 3 steps behind the circle. It might be possible but highly unlikely.

Also in that Wilt statement, he said he was inside the circle in dunking his free throw. Being inside the circle and taking 3 small steps to dunk the free throw is entirely different from being 3 steps behind the circle as Tex described. So which is which?

Local High School Star

Interesting.. and the post above has a nice point.

wasn't wilt a long jumper in hs with his size and wing span it's not unbeliveable

I rule the local playground

If Wilt lived today, there's no doubt that he'd be able to outrun Usain Bolt.

There's also no doubt that he would've dominated Lance Armstrong on a bike.

Here's my proof:

Phil Jackson once visited France during the offseason, and when he rode his Harley up the mountain to L'Alpe d'Huez, he was overtaken by Wilt who was riding uphill backwards on a broken unicycle while simultaneously shagging several women. And Wilt was already 57 when that happened.

Since that day, there's no doubt in Phil's mind that Wilt easily would've dominated Lance Armstrong had he put his mind to it.

Who cares if he could dunk it from his own court when he could not make a god damn free throw to save the day. Dude was a loser, if he was the GOAT he would be able to work on his free throws and would not go 1-11 when it mattered.
    At the end of the day if you are too retarded to master a basic Basketball skill you are not a basketball player.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

I do kinda wonder what guys with a crazy standing reach could do in such a situaiton. Wilt had a 9'6'' standing reach, long jumped 20+ feet as a matter of track event record, and had a nice broad jump. He only needed to be 6 inches off the ground to touch the rim. Ive seen a picture of him palming a ball and just reaching up and touching it to the rim. I cant find it now but here he is in high school...before he stopped growing:

And here as a globetrotter

I cant say that second rim is regulation but as I said...ive seen him just touch a ball to the rim from the ground so I wouldnt doubt it.

And Tex didnt say wilt was inside the top of the key. He said "He wasnt at the top of the circle but he was about 3 steps behind it" and then he ran up and dunked it.

Considering the wide range of guys we have seen do Ft line dunks without so much as struggling to get there...guys not even considered especially athletic? The big guys like Toni Kukoc and Jeff foster? Keith Van Horn could do it in the 90s. Athletes no doubt but not guys who spring to mind as the best athletes. They arent exactly Larry nances or Tom Chambers or Shawn Kemps.

I suspect the huge standing reach of bigmen really knocks a lot of the difficulty off doing long distance dunks. They only need to just barely be off the ground by the time they make it.

A 7'1''+ guy with a 9'6'' or more standing reach who can palm the ball and just bang it on the rim on his toes?

Its pretty much asking if I believe Wilt could take a few steps and still be....8-9 inches off the ground after 15 feet.

I dont know that id dispute it.

When I see a guy like young Kareem dunk I bet he could take off from 12 feet and dunk and it wouldnt even look nice. Hes too close flat footed.

Look how Ralph Sampson does it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uz8FZ-AYWY0

Im not sure he couldnt do that from about the 3 point line. Hes barely off the ground and he made it look effortless.

Tall guys make this hard to call....

National High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by dunksby
    Who cares if he could dunk it from his own court when he could not make a god damn free throw to save the day. Dude was a loser, if he was the GOAT he would be able to work on his free throws and would not go 1-11 when it mattered.
    At the end of the day if you are too retarded to master a basic Basketball skill you are not a basketball player.
    "loser"? That from some internet guy criticizing a man with 2 finals MVP''s & he thinks Wilt's the 'loser'

If Wilt's a 'loser' then players like Jerry 'Mr. Choke' West, Nash, Barkley, Big O, KG, Dr J, etc....... . The list is waaaay too damn long to even mention the 'losers' who haven't accomplished a fraction of what Wilt did.

Wilt wash't too retarded to become one of the wealthiest players of his era through savvy investing. Only an anonymous clown on the net can dismiss someone as great & intelligent as Wilt.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

And Wilts Ft issue wasnt skill based. By most reports he shot them fine in practice. Just like Shaq. We have all see Shaq wet FTs over and over working out. His issue like Wilt...was mental. They had Wilt seeing psychiatrists and shit.

Like Nick Anderson after the finals disaster. He would shy away from taking Fts. miss them at unusual rates even though he could shoot his ass off. Guy shot like 40% from the Ft line one year but he was wetting 25 footers with defenses trying to stop it all day.

Fts are funny. Its rare a guy just lacks the skill to make them if they put in any work. And Wilt worked. shaq worked. Nick kept trying to get his shot right.

But you cant practice enough to just beat that mental block. And all the practice and tips and doctors and hate grows and guys get even worse at te line.

Its rarely about skill on high levels.