Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    NBA sixth man of the year

Default Re: Victor Oladipo or Ben McLemore?

I'm not too concerned with McLemore bombing workouts and interviews. I'm not concerned with him being out-of-shape. Don't get me wrong, you want a guy to be on top of things, but some of these guys don't get it at first. We all saw McLemore in college. He's a freak. He'll be in shape for the season. He obviously does not have a good inner circle and thought he'd just get drafted based on what he did in college. Might cost him a few million dollars, but he's a stud. I think he's the 2nd or 3rd best player in the draft along with Bennett and Noel. Might throw Porter in there, too.

I'd take McLemore over Oladipo.

Local High School Star The JKidd Kid's Avatar

I would take Oladipo 10 times out of 10. The guy is a better athlete than McLemore in literally every category. Also Oladipos wingspan is much more important than McLemore's height. I care more about how long your arms are than how long your neck is. Oladipo has also showed a great work ethic and hustle. He also showed that he has the ability and patience to develop a subpar part of his game, which he showed this year with his shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by The JKidd Kid
    I would take Oladipo 10 times out of 10. The guy is a better athlete than McLemore in literally every category. Also Oladipos wingspan is much more important than McLemore's height. I care more about how long your arms are than how long your neck is. Oladipo has also showed a great work ethic and hustle. He also showed that he has the ability and patience to develop a subpar part of his game, which he showed this year with his shooting.
    Ben McLemore
    Height (in shoes): 6'5 (6'4 3/4 rounded)
    Wingspan: 6'8 (6'7 3/4 rounded)
    Standing Reach: 8'4 1/2
    No Step Vert: 32.5''
    Max Vert: 42''
    Lane Agility: 11.87
    3/4 Court Spirit: 3.27

Victor Oladipo
    Height (in shoes): 6'4 (6'4 1/4 rounded)
    Wingspan: 6'9 (6'9 1/4 rounded)
    Standing Reach: 8'4 1/2
    No Step Vert: 33''
    Max Vert: 42''
    Lane Agility: 10.69
    3/4 Court Spirit: 3.25

Eh. I don't think there's a great difference athletically, especially when you consider McLemore has been getting railed for not being prepared for this draft. You could argue he wasn't prepared for that combine.

Quote Originally Posted by CanYouDigIt
    Victor's defense, physical abilities, and improving offense are great traits for a young guard. Orlando better draft him #2. Ben needs a better work ethic to impress me.
    Can I get a link that shows Bens bad work ethic or those who question it ?

Quote Originally Posted by FreezingTsmoove
    Can I get a link that shows Bens bad work ethic or those who question it ?
    Nothing to show he has a bad one, but nothing to she has a good one like Victor. I personally think him coming to workouts out of shape is more because of his camp and inner circle than him having a bad work ethic.

If we drafted people based on how articulate they look in an interview setting, Derrick Rose would have been a second round pick...

Quote Originally Posted by Inferno
    Nothing to show he has a bad one, but nothing to she has a good one like Victor. I personally think him coming to workouts out of shape is more because of his camp and inner circle than him having a bad work ethic.
    Just because Victor constantly speaks about his work ethic doesnt mean Mac doesnt work just as hard. Fact Mac was number 40 in the espn 100 in hs. How often do we see a player like that go from 40 in the 100 to a lock top 3 pick in the draft. That alone should speak volumes of how hard this guy works to be a great ball player.

Just because Victor constantly speaks about his work ethic doesnt mean Mac doesnt work just as hard. Fact Mac was number 40 in the espn 100 in hs. How often do we see a player like that go from 40 in the 100 to a lock top 3 pick in the draft. That alone should speak volumes of how hard this guy works to be a great ball player.
    He looked phenomenal this season. This is just his people not having him ready and him not understanding what's expected of him. He'll learn. He's shown what he can do at the highest level of college basketball and he looked great. He didn't take the bull by the horns like Self wanted him to, but his talent was evident. People are making too much of McLemore not speaking well or articulating.

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SilkkTheShocker
    McClemore is soooooo overrated its not even funny. He doesn't get to the line because he can't dribble for shit, he doesn't show up in big games, and he is a little undersized. the Ray Allen comparisons this guy gets at times are an absolute joke. This guy is the next Jason Richardson at best. You take Oladipo 12 times out of 10. If Cleveland didn't already have Waiters, they would probably take him as he is a great compliment to Irving.
    That is really what concerns me most about McLemore, to be perfectly honest. It's not his horrible interviewing skills or being out of shape or being outplayed by marginal prospects in workouts.

In today's NBA, guards need to be versatile. Think of all the best 2s in the NBA over the last decade... Be it Wade, Kobe, Harden, whoever...

Those guys are all capable of initiating the offense if they have to and even splitting time at the 1 if need be. McLemore's suspect handles and lack of playmaking skills make him very limited in how he can attack a defense. If he's going to be Rip Hamilton, fine. He's going to need to absolutely perfect playing off the ball to do so, though, and that is a tough thing to count on. Hamilton had that down to a science. If he's going to be the next Ray Allen, fine... But, he's going to have to become arguably the greatest shooter of all-time. He can shoot, but can he shoot like that?

It's a stretch. McLemore looks like a young Jason Richardson to me.

I'd be much more comfortable with Oladipo, who probably would be capable of running an offense if he had to. Some have even speculated he is a good enough defender to play the 3. I'm not sure about that at his size, but it does show that he's a versatile player. That's a very important trait in today's league.

alternick = loser :D veilside23's Avatar

ben mclemore is not jason richardson part 2 .. even if he is so does that mean that oladipo ceiling is higher than jrich ? if that is the case cavs should take him. Draft work outs is moot specially if you know that this kid can do better...

Beasley had a monster draft work outs shooting and dunking over people ...
    T rob had impressive work outs and a hell of a work ethic where is he now?

There is a reason that mclemore was touted as the best coming out of this draft by alot of scouts... if they thought oladipo was better then his name would have appeapred but i guess not .

I'm not denying Ben's work ethic. All I said is Victor's seems to be larger just from their interviews, and I can be completely wrong for all we know.

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by veilside23
    ben mclemore is not jason richardson part 2 .. even if he is so does that mean that oladipo ceiling is higher than jrich ? if that is the case cavs should take him. Draft work outs is moot specially if you know that this kid can do better...

Beasley had a monster draft work outs shooting and dunking over people ...
    T rob had impressive work outs and a hell of a work ethic where is he now?

There is a reason that mclemore was touted as the best coming out of this draft by alot of scouts... if they thought oladipo was better then his name would have appeapred but i guess not .
    God knows scouts are never wrong. You gave a perfect example in Thomas Robinson. Same with Beasley. Those guys weren't considered elite prospects just because of workouts. Both guys were consdiered elite prospects all season long, just like McLemore.

I really don't see your point. Are you saying the guy who rises up draft boards the further we get along into this process are never as good as the guys considered the best prospects during the season?

Damon Lillard and Dion Waiters were both guys who skyrocketed up draft boards after the season last year. One guy won the ROY and the other was First Team All-Rookie. They were the two highest scoring rookies in the league, too.

The same thing happened with Russell Westbrook and countless others. I guess OKC should have just taken Jerryd Bayless because he was ranked higher during the season, right?

This process is in place for a reason.
    Last edited by RedBlackAttack; 06-25-2013 at 07:54 PM.

alternick = loser :D veilside23's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
    God knows scouts are never wrong. You gave a perfect example in Thomas Robinson. Same with Beasley. Those guys weren't considered elite prospects just because of workouts. Both guys were consdiered elite prospects all season long, just like McLemore.

I really don't see your point. Are you saying the guy who rises up draft boards the further we get along into this process are never as good as the guys considered the best prospects during the season?

Damon Lillard and Dion Waiters were both guys who skyrocketed up draft boards after the season last year. One guy won the ROY and the other was First Team All-Rookie. They were the two highest scoring rookies in the league, too.

The same thing happened with Russell Westbrook and countless others. I guess OKC should have just taken Jerryd Bayless because he was ranked higher during the season, right?

This process is in place for a reason.

robinson is like oladipo that has stayed in college for longer than mclemore. so definitely their game is more polished thats my point i dont know if oladipo's game will have a better impact that mclemore at the pro's. defensively yes. but what is the guy's ceiling ?

mclemore on the other hand is compared to a ray allen or jrich.
    not saying he will reach it but the guy has a smooth stroke already.

Clutchbrook Activated WWRWestbrookDo?'s Avatar

Oladipo will be the better pro.

I wouldn't pick either though. Just take Anthony Bennett

Bump. Draft day. Who goes first, and to who?