Originally Posted by JohnnySic
Try as they might, LeBron has no charisma. He has gotten possibly the largest marketing push of any athlete ever; despite that, even casual fans are getting board with him. His public personality has been choreographed; mostly everything he says and does sounds like it came off a public relations desk. Hence, the fuss when he "broke character" and "snubbed" the Magic by walking off the court. If it was, say, Mo Williams who did that, would anyone have even noticed? No way.
'Bron needs to be careful because he is dangerously close to becoming the ARod of basketball; a bloodless cadboard cut-out with no personality and who is operated like an industrial machine; a cash cow for the league, Nike, and himself.
The Harris Poll was a nationwide survey of 2,177 U.S. adults conducted online June 8-15, 2009 by Harris Interactive.
The Top Ten Male Athletes (2008 ranking):
1. Tiger Woods, golf (1)
2. Michael Jordan, basketball (2)
3. LeBron James, Cleveland Cavaliers (not among top 10)
4. Kobe Bryant, Los Angeles Lakers (4)
5. Derek Jeter, New York Yankees (7)
6. Jeff Gordon, Nascar (5)
7. Peyton Manning, Indianapolis Colts (6t)
8. Dale Earnhardt Jr., Nascar (6t)
9. Brett Favre, NFL (3)
10. Albert Pujols, St. Louis Cardinals (not among top 10).