Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast

Default Re: NBA has suspended Gilbert Arenas indefinitely until investigation ends

Quote Originally Posted by Poodle
    actually its perfect irony and the best thing that could've happened to the Wizards. They were going nowhere with the Wiz being all about Gilbert getting back to his old chucking self. Wiz were good when Gilbert was hurt where they played more team oriented ball. Now they might be able to void Gilberts contract. Its definitely better than having to be on the leash for a $100mill to someone who makes your team worse.
    That's exactly what I mean. They were probably looking for way out of it and ol' Gil handed them one.

Default Re: NBA has suspended Gilbert Arenas indefinitely until investigation ends

Quote Originally Posted by GOBB
    There is no but. No wealthy human being is ok with losing that kind of money.
    No doubt. $10M is a lot to lose....to anybody. But, when have we ever heard about a contract being voided? Not Stephen Jacksons,Tinsleys, not Monta Ellis...no one. What is the Wizards argument anyway?

I'm saying it right now. His contract won't get voided. If I'm wrong I'll use a ****ing Laker avatar for the rest of the season

Blu Ray

Good. Gil always struck me as a guy who cared more about his image than winning. He tried to force himself in the public as to make it seem he was above the league, and It's blown up in his face.

Good riddance. He's probably going to be suspended for the rest of the season, at the very least.

shhhhhhh

Quote Originally Posted by thejumpa
    No doubt. $10M is a lot to lose....to anybody. But, when have we ever heard about a contract being voided? Not Stephen Jacksons,Tinsleys, not Monta Ellis...no one. What is the Wizards argument anyway?
    I'm saying it right now. His contract won't get voided. If I'm wrong I'll use a ****ing Laker avatar for the rest of the season
    for historic purposes...lol

Banned

you're probably right. the team of lawyers you can buy with that much money at stake probably isn't even worth the litigation costs in fighting to void it. who knows tho

Quote Originally Posted by Poodle
    actually its perfect irony and the best thing that could've happened to the Wizards. They were going nowhere with the Wiz being all about Gilbert getting back to his old chucking self. Wiz were good when Gilbert was hurt where they played more team oriented ball. Now they might be able to void Gilberts contract. Its definitely better than having to be on the leash for a $100mill to someone who makes your team worse.
    Very well put, this should be the Wizards front office right now

I REALLY hope that they can get his contract voided. It would set a great precedent.

My guess is that the players union will fight like crazy to avoid this, and once it becomes apparent that there is a good chance the Wiz can prove breach of contract, the PU will broker some kind of buyout to avoid the precedent of a voided contract.

Serious playground baller

I can't decide whether commisioner Stern is a genius or a moron......On the one hand suspending him now makes him look like he is going after Arenas just because he criticized him. Not suspending Arenas is bad for the image of the league.

I really have no idea on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by pete's montreux
    Good. Gil always struck me as a guy who cared more about his image than winning. He tried to force himself in the public as to make it seem he was above the league, and It's blown up in his face.

Good riddance. He's probably going to be suspended for the rest of the season, at the very least.

Quoting Adrian Woj.: "Stern feels like he's been taunted by (Arenas)," NBA source says. "He's done for the year....at the very least."

Wow i wonder if the wizards knew this yesterday thats why they were so out of it in the 1st half.

Man....

Big Agent Zero fan...but WTF? Oh well.........

Local High School Star

Jackson and Tinsley were never really talked about as far as having their contracts voided. Ellis and Radmonavich actually probably could have had their contracts voided, especially Radman, but their teams didn't try to do it. Arenas is in a whole other situation.

With Ellis they wanted to wait and see if he could come back and play at a high level - he has and all is forgiven. Arenas has come back and hasn't been good, the team is horrible and he had the most (maybe 2nd most after Brand) untradeable contract in the NBA. What's the worst that can happen if they try to void his contract and don't succeed? It's not like the Wizards can get much worse or he'll lower his trade value.

The verbage is in his contract, so they have a good shot at voiding the contract if he's convicted of anything. The difference between Gil and the other situations you mentioned is simply that the Wiz have no reason to NOT attempt voiding his contract.

"There is, of course, plenty of risk. If the Wizards do void Arenas' contract and lose a court fight with the union, they would be stuck with a player they don't want (and who knows he isn't wanted) and forced to either buy out his deal (highly unlikely considering how much money is involved) or trade him for anything they can get.

Still, this is a chance for Washington to start from scratch. The Arenas-Jamison-Butler core is not going to win a championship, and it may not even get the Wizards into the playoffs. Arenas' latest run-in is Washington's chance to change all that, to get the franchise back on track. That is, if the Wizards welcome the opportunity."

Quote Originally Posted by Knoe Itawl
    Just saw on MSNBC. I can only imagine his pre-game antics didn't help matters.

Here is the statement from the NBA: http://www.insidehoops.com/blog/?p=5234
    They did the right thing. They weren't too hasty, but they didn't let this drag on. Ironically, we're still only at the beginning of all of this. We still don't really know what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by RaininThrees
    Quoting Adrian Woj.: "Stern feels like he's been taunted by (Arenas)," NBA source says. "He's done for the year....at the very least."
    Wow. I believe Adrian, he has legit sources. At least with the Rockets, he has not been wrong yet.