Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Default Re: Kid tells teacher like it is

For certain teachers with tenure it can get up to $80,000..but no public school teacher makes that much.. Administrators? they might get that much... maybe a superintendent of a large district will get that... but teachers dont really get that much in salary.. definitely not public school

Vast majority of teachers are making in the range of 30 to 50 thousand a year. 80 thou is pretty rare... but I see it often quoted by people who want to undermine and misrepresent teachers. like anti blue collar types who scream "union thugs" at anyone who takes about collective bargaining.

its basically a misrepresentation of what teachers make...

Celtics/Red Sox/Eagles UConnCeltics's Avatar

80k for a superintendent? My town has 4 schools and the guy was pulling in 120k, he just retired.

Quote Originally Posted by UConnCeltics
    80k for a superintendent? My town has 4 schools and the guy was pulling in 120k, he just retired.

I meant simply administration.. my bad for the confusion.. supes make over 100, and admin in big districts will see 80 thousand.

like I said there are some teachers who will see 80 thousand, but that is the vast minority of teachers..

I looked it up and there are 6 in the philadelphia school district (which surprises me)

6 Top-Earning Teachers
    1. Amish Shah, $145,733.55
    2. Barbara Jo Bess Pashak, $132,685.75
    3. Michael Hawkins, $130,821.40
    4. Patricia Harrell, $121,684.91
    5. Carol E. Walton, $121,133.85
    6. Karen Kelly Nickens, $119,394.41

but generally you wont see those numbers in a school district unless you are in administration..

My mother is a 2nd grade public school teacher teacher in Port Jervis, NY and her salary is currently at $81,000, and it will max out at $90,000. She is 48 years old, has a master's and has been teaching for 18 years.

Where are you guys getting your numbers?

A friend of mine who graduated in 2009 landed a high school earth science teaching job in Westchester, NY with a starting pay of $51,000. Granted this is a very wealthy area.

Most schools will start you off at $30-$40,000, but you get a raise every year or couple of years. It doesn't take long to get in the $50,000+ range.

Quote Originally Posted by enayes
    My mother is a 2nd grade public school teacher teacher in Port Jervis, NY and her salary is currently at $81,000, and it will max out at $90,000. She is 48 years old, has a master's and has been teaching for 18 years.

A friend of mine who graduated in 2009 landed a high school earth science teaching job in Westchester, NY with a starting pay of $51,000. Granted this is a very wealthy area.

Most schools will start you off at $30-$40,000, but you get a raise every year or couple of years. It doesn't take long to get in the $50,000+ range.

48 years old with a masters and teaching for 18 years in NY probably is why she is pulling 81 g's

you are right about the starting salary being in the 30 to 40 range... But I know in this state we have a republican governor who is cutting education every chance he gets in order to give tax breaks to his fracking friends, so there isnt going to be many raises in the near future for teachers. In fact, alot of positions are being cut. Not many teachers will last long enough to have enough tenure to make that kind of money

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by enayes

Whew, starting at $51,000 is pretty impressive. I never see that. In Michigan and its surrounding states it seems pretty much standard that a starting teacher's salary will be between $29,000 and $34,000.

And your mom's salary is more than believable, particularly if she's put in almost 20 years and has a Masters.

The real crazy salaries to me belong to superintendents. Ann Arbor's super is currently making $245,000 per year (http://www.annarbor.com/news/educati...-in-michigan/). The district reasoned they had to find a way to draw a good super to the city. Significant outcry seemed to lead to A2's decision to cap the next super salary at $220,000. It seemed folks weren't pumped about schools taking cuts at every turn while boosting the superintendent's salary along the way.

National High School Star

Liberal teachers are destroying the youth.

Thumbs up Re: Kid tells teacher like it is

Metal as f***

Quote Originally Posted by ItsMillerTime
    No public high school teacher makes $80K a year. You're flat out lying.
    Shut up, kid.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/01/fa...ionb.html?_r=0

An uglier Lamar Doom boozehound's Avatar

She started teaching in 1978 for $11,250 a year

So, you took a 35 year tenured teacher in the area with the highest cost of living in the country as your representative example. Really?

http://www.teacherportal.com/teacher-salaries-by-state/

You will notice there are only about 5 states where the average teacher salary (including ladies like the one in your article) makes over 60k. Your POV is way out of line with reality.

NBA lottery pick

That kid is embarrassing.

Bear Chested Da Brawn STATUTORY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Macho Man
    My mom worked at a saudi private school in one of the richest counties in America and only made 60k a year.

I'm also friends with a teacher and if she's gonna be making 100k a year soon I need to marry her asap.
    even private school teachers in US make less than their public school counterparts after controlling for neighborhoods.

Public school teachers at some wealthy counties pull in 100k+ plus easy.

Quote Originally Posted by ace23
    As someone else said...this is not a representative sample. For instance, my mother who retired in her 30th year of teaching, was pulling just over 60k...and that was with a Master's. This is going to be a much more accurate number for most of the nation.

I'm not trying to get some representative sample. Read what this fool wrote:

No public high school teacher makes $80K a year. You're flat out lying.
    Yes, I'm the one lying.
    Last edited by ace23; 05-10-2013 at 08:12 PM.

NBA sixth man of the year knickballer's Avatar

LOL, some of my HS gym teachers were getting paid over 100k. Talk about a waste of tax payer money...