Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast
    Berkshire is the Woods hipballinjigga's Avatar

Default Royce White: Releases Statement - Wants Private Bus At Times

First he released a statement on illness

Earlier Wednesday, White released a statement that detailed his refusal to join the team until a plan to address his "long-term health" was in place.

"There are often negative consequences to mental illness when not given the proper support," said White, according to a statement released through his publicist, California-based China Myers. "Often, those consequences are more severe for the surrounding people than the sufferer him/herself. I am not willing to allow those consequences to befall on myself or others close to me.

"It causes me anxiety to know that serious consequences could happen if I do not express what I deal with, or if I am not truthful enough to ask for what I need to be healthy. For me, hiding is no longer a healthy option in treating my anxiety or OCD, so I have asked for some help from the organization to ensure long-term health for myself.

"It has been determined that without a specific plan in place, the current workplace is not healthy for me. I feel that it is essential to formulate the right plan for a better chance of execution, despite other timelines or agendas. The most important agenda to me is a plan that is healthy. Therefore, a plan has been requested that will support a healthy work environment. In addition to this, it has been requested that the standard requirements for players in regards to this plan be voided because it is not a standard situation.

"It is regrettable that I cannot be currently present, but long-term health obviously should be the most important thing. I will continue to champion the cause for mental illness being met with understanding; if not, the ramifications are dangerous.

"Mental illness is a very individual-based disorder -- very unique for each person. So for those who come forward and ask for help, a very unique support plan should be the solution, given the nature of mental illness.
    Then an ESPN story with more:

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/84...-mental-health

Highlight from that article:

Before he's willing to start training camp, Houston Rockets rookie Royce White wants the team's permission to travel to some games by private bus, the former Iowa State star told ESPN.com on Wednesday night.

White's fear of flying, he said, magnifies his anxiety disorder. So he's asked the Rockets to let him use a bus for some of the team's extensive road trips. White said he's willing to purchase the bus and assume liability.

Default Re: Royce White: Releases Statement - Wants Private Bus At Times

Quote Originally Posted by hipballinjigga
    First he released a statement on illness

Then an ESPN story with more:

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/84...-mental-health

Highlight from that article:
    I say do whatever it takes to let the man play esp since he's willing to front the money for some of his needs. His openness about his disorder could help raise mental health disorder awareness for NBA players and fans alike

Former Bulls Fan.

He needs to smoke some weed before every flight. I bet it would solve his problem.

Petition for the NBA to legalize weed for him plz.

Smart move by White to try and secure his long term mental health before just jumping in there and playing and hope all goes well.

NBA sixth man of the year

Guy's a disaster.

Former Bulls Fan.

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy11
    Guy's a disaster.
    Actually its the opposite. Its better for him to come out and say it and to actually look for help instead of having a guy play through with it and then suddenly exploding.

Maybe basketball isn't the ideal career for him....must be tough but still he's going to struggle if this is the case.

Banned

the guy didnt report to rockets training camp on time because he is afraid of flying

how did this guy even get drafted? he doesnt belong in the nba

Local High School Star KB2009Champ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by All Net
    Maybe basketball isn't the ideal career for him....must be tough but still he's going to struggle if this is the case.
    Not trying to be mean but to be an NBA player you have to be able to fly. Or just play home games.

If the Rockets drafted him that high they need to man up and support him.

Everyone knew that this was going to be an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy11
    Guy's a disaster.
    I agree. I have no problem with him needing help and telling you. But it feels like his problems were understated, and i have more problem (this will sound strange) with him asking for the private bus as opposed to him needing to miss time until he gets his mind working right. That to me feels like he wants special treatment, which is negative.

Wasn't a huge risk where you drafted him but the signs seem bad.

This will sound a little silly, but if Royce wants to help his mental health....he should ask for a trade to an Eastern Conference team, preferably Atlantic Division team...Knicks/Nets/Sixers/Celtics.....

Why? Because flight times are much shorter or he can bus it easily to those places. If he was on the Nets, for example, no traveling to Knicks, only 2 hour drive 76ers, 4 hours to DC, 4 hours to Boston....plus short flights to MidWest teams......with only one West Coast road trip to make........

Hey, if his mental health is that important, make it easier on himself.........

Quote Originally Posted by kennethgriffin
    the guy didnt report to rockets training camp on time because he is afraid of flying

If you watch his ability to play you'd know he does belong in the NBA. But his life off the court requires some special needs. If the NBA is able to work with him (and I really hope they are) than he should be able to play. I'm pulling for the guy, mental health disorders are a challenge and people who have them could use potential role models and success stories like this guy could potentially provide. He is open about his problems, he knows what his needs are - as long as they are addressed he should be able to play.

NBA sixth man of the year

Quote Originally Posted by LosBulls
    Actually its the opposite. Its better for him to come out and say it and to actually look for help instead of having a guy play through with it and then suddenly exploding.
    Why isn't he in training camp right now?

Answer: Because he's a disaster.

Look, I hate it for the guy, but the fact remains that he is not off to a good start as an NBA player. It's only going to worse for him. I don't think he will make it. I hope he does because he's a HUGE part of the Rockets' future, but this is not encouraging.

National High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by kennethgriffin

Have you even watched him play? He is incredibly talented. he went 16th in the draft after a big slip due to the disorder. He was easily a top 5 talent in the draft.

Banned

Just give him some liquor hours before taking the plane... problem solved.