Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2910111213 LastLast
    soundcloud->solarcism

Default Re: Would you accept being locked in an empty room...

hell no i wouldn't do it. a link to ponder on:

[QUOTE]Early attempts at submission and rehabilitation where far from perfect. The use of solitary confinement was originally designed to allow prisoners to rediscover their own conscience and better voice through spiritual conversion. Unfortunately, it was later discovered that no form of torture could have been worse than solitary confinement because it ended up causing within many prisoners adverse psychological effects such as:

* delusions,

* dissatisfaction with life,

* claustrophobia,

* depression,

* feelings of panic,

* And on many instances madness.

All of which are symptoms of chronophobia

Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

This would be different though. There is a VERY bright light at the end of the tunnel in the form of the $10 million. You are not in the hole because you did something wrong and probably have years or prison in your future.

I assume this also involves things that will keep you clean and healthy like food, clean water, toothpaste/toothbrush, etc. while just cutting you off from anything "fun". I wouldn't do it if it was going to seriously endanger my physical health. I would risk my mental health for that kind of money.

Quote Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
    This would be different though. There is a VERY bright light at the end of the tunnel in the form of the $10 million. You are not in the hole because you did something wrong and probably have years or prison in your future.

I assume this also involves things that will keep you clean and healthy like food, clean water, toothpaste/toothbrush, etc. while just cutting you off from anything "fun". I wouldn't do it if it was going to seriously endanger my physical health. I would risk my mental health for that kind of money.
    365 days 24hrs a day. Its one thing to risk your mental health and try this. Heck I would. But do you honestly believe you could not only do it but walk out of that room the same person you did entering it? Thats the unknown.

Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

I'm not saying that I would be able to do it but I'm pretty sure I'd try it. There would have to be some mental exercises you can do to prepare for this. That's assuming you know ahead of time about this. Something like breaking down each part of each day into smaller chunks to get through. Thinking of games to keep yourself occupied. It would be VERY tough but for that kind of money, I'd try.

I am Chris Wilcox

I'd try, I mean, there's 10mil up for grabs, I'm sure as hell not, not going to try. I doubt I'd be able to do it though. I consider myself a bit of a recluse, I absolutely hate people and try to keep my contact with people to a bare minimum, but I think even I would crack within a couple of weeks.

I can deal with no internet. I can deal with no TV. I can deal with having nothing, but the bare essentials. But I can't deal with myself and my own company. I'm already a bit unstable, putting myself into this scenario is just a recipe for disaster.

I think my mind would lose it, create a split personality and then use the other me to kick my arse.

Saw a basketball once

For all those saying no one could do it, that's just wrong. It is very difficult, but with the right mind-set, some could pull it off. I already talked about certain mindsets you could have going in that could make it more possible.

I think I could do it with the right-mindset. After all, 10 million sets you for life. No more working yet making around a million per year. Many of your dreams would come true.

The only challenging question, that even I think I would not be able to pull off, is if you were tied to a chair for a whole year. You would still get food in a plate served right in front of you, and maybe a minute to stretch to prevent any other health issues, and maybe can walk to the bathroom close-by, but other than that, sitting in a chair, 24/7. Now that would be very difficult.

I rule the local playground Rojogaqu11's Avatar

What if you could get money based on the time like this:

1 day: 50 dollars
    1 week: 700 dollars
    2 weeks: 2,000 dollars
    3 weeks: 5,000 dollars
    1 month: 10,000 dollars.
    3 months: 75,000 dollars
    6 months: 250,000 dollars
    9 months: 800,000 dollars
    10 months: 2,000,000 dollars
    11 months: 4,000,000 dollars
    12 months: 10,000,000 dollars

Would you last longer this way or not?

To answer the thread title, since the question is "would you accept...", my answer is yes.
    But I don't think I would manage to resist.
    I'd probably ask for a compromise at the 3rd month or so.

Somebody put up the 10 mil because I want to try this.

If people can make it decades in solitary confinement in a tiny cell, then I think I could make a year in this scenario or go batshit insane trying.

Blu Ray

If the money was presented to you from day one on a table in crisp one hundred dollar bills, untaxed, then I bet a lot of people who say they can't or might not be able to do it, could pull it off much easier.

Totally. After a year, I will have 10 million dollars to spend.

I remember reading story for english that had a similar premise. 2 business men had a bet that one of them couldn't stay in solitary confinement for 10 years. All he got for entertainment was books. The winner would get like 1 million bucks (this was supposed to take place in the 1800's so it would be a shitload more then that now).

In the end the guy stays the 10 years, but sneaks out of the place before he can receive his reward.

Personally I would try to do it, but I have my doubts that I could actually pull it off. Eventually it would get to the point where I couldn't stand it anymore and would leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Rizko
    I remember reading story for english that had a similar premise. 2 business men had a bet that one of them couldn't stay in solitary confinement for 10 years. All he got for entertainment was books. The winner would get like 1 million bucks (this was supposed to take place in the 1800's so it would be a shitload more then that now).

In the end the guy stays the 10 years, but sneaks out of the place before he can receive his reward.

Personally I would try to do it, but I have my doubts that I could actually pull it off. Eventually it would get to the point where I couldn't stand it anymore and would leave.
    Hey, I remember that story too, or something very similar.
    Can't remember where I read it though, off the top of my head I'd say it was a book of short stories from some Russian classic author, but I'm not sure...

Quote Originally Posted by Jasi
    Hey, I remember that story too, or something very similar.
    Can't remember where I read it though, off the top of my head I'd say it was a book of short stories from some Russian classic author, but I'm not sure...
    Yea it's the same story. I just looked it up on wiki, it's called The Bet, by Anton Chekhov:

The Bet is an 1889 short story by Anton Chekhov about a banker and a young man who make a bet with each other based on capital punishment and whether the death penalty is better or worse than life in prison. An ironic twist responds to this exploration of the value of a human life with an unexpected result. The terms of the wager state that if the lawyer can live in solitary confinement for 15 years, he will be given 2 million.

The lawyer spends his time in confinement reading books. In the meantime, the banker's fortune declines and he realizes that he will be unable to pay off the bet. The day before the bet is up, the banker resolves to kill the lawyer so as to not owe him the money. However, the banker finds a note written by the young man. The note declares that in his time in confinement the lawyer has learned to despise material goods for the fleeting things they are. Therefore, to demonstrate his contempt, he intends to leave confinement five minutes prior to when the bet would be up, thus losing the bet and unwittingly saving his own life.

^ That! Excellent!
    Yeah, I remember it now. The final twist was awesome. Russian feel.