Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Default Re: Piston draft prospects

I'm in the boat that DOES want a PG. The problem is, I don't want these PGs. All of these guys (to me) seem like guys who will play the one, just because they're too short to play the two. I'd want a true PG.

It's hard to find quality bigs. While we're picking in the lottery, I'd like to take as many 4's and 5's as possible. As bad as we've been the last two years, we're really not too far away from being at least a low playoff seed. At that point, it's easier to acquire serviceable guards than it is big guys.

Decent college freshman

agreed Kombo. I want to stock up on big man talent. However, I would take a PG if there was a good true PG available. I don't see it though. It'd probably have to be a trade for someone like Rubio. Paul is probably a pipedream as we lack ammo.

NBA lottery pick

I don't see the Pistons being able to get Rubio. If he doesn't want to go to Minnesota why would he go to Detroit? Initially he wanted to get traded to a big market like NY, LA, etc. Now he's said he wants to play in Minnesota. I think that means Flynn will get traded but at this point there's no indication Rubio would be traded. Also there's nothing that says he's going to be great. Didn't he just have a mediocre season this year?

I think we really need to see where we're going to be drafting. I'm having a hard time putting my finger on exactly who we should go for without knowing that. We may be in a spot where we can't go after a decent big man. It might be something where we just have to go after the best player available regardless of position.

Good college starter

NBA lottery pick

Yup, Knights name seems to be one that keeps coming up with the Pistons and the draft. I just don't think he'll be available at #7 necessarily. I've seen mock drafts where he's still there but it's slim.

Decent college freshman

Knight woudl be interesting but its not what I'd really prefer at this point. There are a lot of PFs in this draft that would fit next to Monroe and at least one of them should be there at 7. Especially if Knight and/or Kemba goes top 6. I want one of Biyombo,Vessely,Kanter or Thompson I think. I would have considered Terrence Jones probably too, though he's a huge risk type. Probably a little too high for Markieff Morris or Faried.

NBA lottery pick

I'd take Kanter of Vessely if they dropped to us. I think they might go earlier too.... Biyombo is a huge risk. There's potential there because he is 18 but he's really only had that one good game that got people excited. I need to see more. Hopefully there will be some predraft workout stuff with him. I feel like there's at least a guy or two in every draft like Thompson. I wouldn't be too excited if we picked him up. I think Joe D is thinking Jerebko is the starter next year at PF. If Kanter or Vessely drops I'm sure he'd take them but other than that I think he's looking at Knight right now. I think he might be a very very good player in this league. Like I said before I wanted to go a different route than this too. Now that we've officially seen so many guys pull out of the draft this might be what we have to do. It makes it really hard for the bottom teams to get better this year.

French Toast Mafia Sterlingsucks's Avatar

If you stay put at 7 I would go after Brandon Knight the PG from Kentucky if he is not available I would reach for Klay Thompson SG Washington St. or Jordan Hamilton, Move Austin Daye to the 3 because he will NEVER be a 4 or a 2 and pray that Rodney Stuckey can finally put the sh*t together !! I would go BUT I don't know if he lasts unless you get one of the Lottery Top 3 picks. If you get Top 3 the obvious choices are PG Kyrie Irving, SF/PF Derrick Williams and PF/C Enes Kanter. PF/C Bismack Biyombo is about as big of a boom or bust prospect there is some say he can become a Serge Ibaka type player or he might just be nothing more than a hustle player
    Last edited by Sterlingsucks; 05-11-2011 at 06:05 AM.

Decent college freshman

DD I think you are being a little hard on Thompson first of all. Seems like he has the makings of a top flight starting PF for me.

Jerebko may start at the 4(though start is a term I'd use loosely if that is in fact the case), but ideally he competes with Daye at the 3(and maybe TMac or something) and basically split time at the F spots, providing energy and a matchup edge where its needed.

We need a legit 4 to start next to Monroe. A Monroe/JJ frontcourt isn't going to take you to contention. We need an athletic defender who can not only block shots, but cover ground against the pick and roll and the like. If not a great athlete, he needs to be a strong post presense offensively and defensively.

A guy like Biyombo is a HUGE gamble. No argument here. However, his ceiling, is exactly the player we need. He might not be 100% ideal, but you don't get a chance at a player like him at 7 if he is fully developed, so there is your catch 22.

This is what our board is going to look like to some degree. In some manner, at 7(to 9), we're going to get a solid player. It will depend on not only our preference, but the preference of those in front of us.

Kyrie Irving
    Derrick Williams
    Enes Kanter
    Jan Vessely
    Biyombo
    Thompson
    Knight/Walker
    Montejunias/Valanciunas

I believe at least one if not 2 of the last 4 will go in front of us. Burks and/or Thompson also has a shot to jump our pick if someone needs a SG. Burks shows a lot of potential at this level. Someone could even fall in love with Jimmer, as Ben Gordon, the most similar comparison, went top 5 I believe.

NBA lottery pick

Here's also what I'm thinking (in regards to a big man). This year this is who's available (and worth taking a look at potentially):

Glen Davis
    Tyson Chandler
    Nene Hilario
    Yao Ming
    Deandre Jordan
    David West
    Samuel Dalembert
    Hopefully nobody mentions Fesenko! I still think that's a bad idea. In a season where Utah needed a C like crazy the guy still couldn't crack the lineup. He doesn't have the heart and is never in shape.

2012:
    Javale McGee
    Kevin Love
    Anthony Randolph
    Andrew Bynum
    Roy Hibbert
    Kevin Garnett

To get a player like Knight and then go after another big man could be worth it too. Or whomever might become available through a trade too. There's a lot of people who think the Kings or Jazz are going to take Knight & Walker. The Jazz don't make sense to me because they have Devin Harris who is a very good PG. The Kings could potentially but there's a few holes they could try to plug too.

As far as my list of guy to go after it's similiar but not the same:
    Kyrie Irving
    Derrick Williams
    Enes Kanter
    Jan Vessely
    Brandon Knight
    Jonas Valanciunas
    Kemba Walker
    Alec Burks
    Bismack Biyombo
    Jordan Hamilton
    Jimmer Fredette
    Kenneth Faried
    Tristan Thompson

Here's my thing with Thompson.... some list him at 6'8" and other list him at 6'9". Either way it's a touch short for a PF. 6'9" PF's are available in every draft and every one of those guys has "potential". I do like that he rebounds and plays defense well because those are things that do translate to the NBA. He's just a really bad shooter and doesn't have any offensive game outside the block. What makes it worse is he's such a bad free throw shooter than I don't expect him to ever really have a good midrange game. Right now the Pistons desperately lack a 2nd scoring option behind Stuckey. Stuckey is the only guy who can create his own shot. We'll see more from Monroe as time goes on but he doesn't create at this point. I want a guy with more scoring potential. The only reason he could possibly crack the top 10 is because so many people pulled out of the draft. I think he really could end up being a bust.

The other thing is I really am hoping a guy like Jujuan Johnson or Jeremy Tyler falls to us in the 2nd round. I would rather gamble on the potential there. I really think we need to just try to grab the best player available with this pick since things are so slim this year.

Also, Jerebko really is more of a PF and from everything Joe D has been saying is it sounds like he's going to try to match whatever offer he gets and bring him back to play that specific position. He's 2 inches taller and weighs about 10 pounds more than Thompson. I think Daye will ultimately be the SF, though if we resign T-Mac there's the possibility he could be there too. Of course this is all based on us thinking Tay is going to leave. If Tay stays we know one of the younger pieces will probably be moved with Rip.

I think Burks is a guy who should be top 7 too. He's a guy that can score and it seems like it will translate to the NBA. I would think a team like Utah would really want him in their back court with Harris. If he dropped to us at 7 and the other bigs were taken I wouldn't mind picking him. At that point they could have a fire sale on BG and put him and Stuckey in the back court. At least we'd be set back there. We have to remember, not only do we need another big man..... we also need another guard. Stuckey is the only guard we have on the roster worthy of starting (besides T-Mac but that's not a long term solution and he can only play so many minutes). There's a reason Detroit has been experimenting with Daye at SG.... it's because we really need help in the back court too and his game is the one that's versatile enough to play that many positions.

I've got Biyombo up there on my list. He's the guy I could handle taking a gamble on. If we really needed to that is. Most of those project type guys just don't make it in the league.

I do have a high standard for a top 7 pick. Not all of them are all-stars and I realize this. But looking back on about the last 4 drafts teams have been so much smarter with their scouting. There isn't a top 7 pick who could really be considered a total bust. They're all solid players in the NBA. I think the exception could be 2006 with Adam Morrison but I don't really consider him a bust. He was a solid scorer in the league who ended up with a really bad injury. I think some might argue Evan Turner last year but I think he's still going to end up being a solid player. 2008 everybody was solid. Even 2007 with Greg Oden I don't see him ending up as a bust. Injuries have got the best of him so far but when he was healthy and playing he was pretty good. I think we'll actually see him back healthy next year.

In all I guess there's a lot of questions to be answered, lol. I guess the first one will be answered shortly, May 17th. Once we know where we're picking (and everyone else) it will help clear up some of this.

NBA lottery pick

[QUOTE]Bad news for the Detroit Pistons: Big men Jan Vesely, Jonas Valanciunas and Bismack Biyombo and Donatas Motiejunas are not scheduled to take part in the 2011 NBA draft combine in Chicago next week.

The good news? Everyone else the Detroit Pistons would likely consider taking with their first-round pick is scheduled to be there.

The NBA released a list of participants for the camp Wednesday, and Vesely, Valanciunas, Biyombo and Motiejunas were the most notable players missing from the list.

Enes Kanter, a 6-foot-10 center from Turkey who sat out his entire freshman season at Kentucky after being ruled ineligible, is scheduled to take part in the combine.

Keith Benson of Oakland University and Darius Morris of the University of Michigan also will take part.

The annual pre-draft camp will take place May 18-22 in Chicago. The Pistons, who finished with the seventh-worst record in the NBA last season, will find out which pick they will have in the draft Tuesday when the NBA holds its annual draft lottery.

The Pistons are most likely to pick either seventh or eighth but could pick in the top three spots if they get lucky in the lottery. There is also an outside chance they could pick as low as 10th if things don't go their way.

The Pistons selected Greg Monroe seventh overall last season after they stayed put in the seventh spot in the lottery.

The Pistons have held no individual workouts for potential draft picks at the practice facility at the Palace thus far. Last season, they held a handful of group workouts for potential second-round picks prior to the pre-draft camp in Chicago, but they have no plans to host any player workouts prior to the combine this season.

The Pistons will hold individual workouts for potential first- and second-round picks between the time the pre-draft camp ends and the draft, which is scheduled for June 23.

The Pistons did not have a representative at a recent pre-draft camp in New Jersey after several players pulled out in the days prior to the workout. Many of those players took part in the Portsmouth Invitational Tournament in early April in Portsmouth, Virginia. The Pistons were represented there.

Pistons President of Basketball Operations Joe Dumars also was in Slovenia shortly after the season ended to scout international prospects.

Key dates

Decent college freshman

I'd love Fesenko myself, as long as he is nothing mroe than Monroe's backup. His plus/minus was huge for Utah this year. His size and defense down low make it hard to get easy buckets and he's a thug you can use on the top Centers. He doesn't compare to someone like Nene though. However, he reminds me some of Perkins before he got good. I could see him similarly breaking out.

On Jerebko, you are probably right. However, my issue is that I don't see him as a full time starting PF. Depends who the rest of the big rotation is.

I agree on Burks. Best SG in the class and a legit scorer and starer in this league.
    You may be right on Thompson, but I am thinking defense,athleticism,shotblocking when I think about our PF. Scoring would be nice too, but its secondary for me.

I don't think Daye is ready to start at SF, at the least he needs to share the spot with a vet. Mcgrady,Prince,Battier, whoever. OTOH, it could be a sort of 3 way split between Daye,Rip and Jerebko I guess. I'd like to have one true SF on the roster though. Summers doesn't cut it.

I'm going to put this next part as gently as possible. ADAM MORRISON WAS TURRIBLE!
    Last edited by Nastradamus; 05-13-2011 at 01:03 PM.

Decent college freshman

Something I want to address here is the PG class. It was touted as this terrible PG class, but now it appears at least 3 will go in the top 10(Irving,Knight,Walker) and maybe 4 in the lottery(Shelby soaring). If you count Jimmer its even better. Not only that, there are some interesting late 1st options as well.

Morris - Obviously we've discussed him, but he seems to be blowing away scouts. One site had an article about how he got some writers together and wanted to show off his dunking to them. They said he threw down some of the hardest dunks of anyone in the draft and generally impressed with his athleticism. The biggest draw with him is his playmaking ability and pass first mentality. Good size and defensive ability with a nice shooting stroke(compared to Andre Miller and everyone seems to agree that Morris is a better shooter than he was coming out, for some perspective).

Reggie Jackson - This kid is really drawing my attention. 6'3, solid athlete and most impressively a 7' wingspan. A HUGE key in today's game is being able to defend these athletic, penetrating PGs and he has that ability. Did a good job improving his A/TO last year, has good court vision and can shoot. Needs to improve his build and decision making while continuing to work on his shooting as well.

Malcolm Lee - A big guard, which Joe likes. Didn't look like a PG or a very good one at least, at UCLA. However, either did guys like Holliday and Westbrook. He has been very impressive in workouts and could be a lot better in a less restrictive system. Maybe a combo guard though, in the Stuckey mold really.

Nolan Smith - Showed the ability to transition to the PG spot. Can defend,shoot and slash at a high level. Average athleticism and quickness, not a pure PG at this point. Outstanding leader, a guy you want on your team.

Some may like guys like Josh Selby or Shelvin Mack as well.

NBA lottery pick

I think there will be a few good PG's in this draft. That's why I wasn't opposed to taking one, like Knight if he drops to us. The more I think about it, the more I think we need help in the back court and not the front court. Sure we were over loaded with guards last year but we just didn't have enough of them that played well. Couple that with how Rip got benched and we really didn't help ourselves. I know Detroit is all about defense but right now we have nobody besides Stuckey who can put the ball in the bucket. If someone like Tyler or Johnson isn't available for our 2nd round pick but a guy like Mack is I would definitely draft him. After all, he did lead a team to the championship game this year and was a big part of getting them there last year. Selby is a SG and only 6'1". I don't know if people are saying he's changing positions now but I don't see him making it in the NBA. He'd really have to learn some new skills. I also think Jimmer isn't getting enough hype. I don't know if he'll be an all-star but the guy can score. The way he created space for himself and used his size as a PG is something that will translate to any level. He's going to be a solid player for someone in this league. I'm not saying we should draft him at #7 but anywhere past about 9 or 10 will be a good deal for some team.

NBA lottery pick

By the way I just played the lottery at espn.com and the Pistons got the first pick and took Derrick Williams Personally I would have took Kyrie Irving but just the thought that I pressed the button once for poops and laughs and we got the first pick makes me believe it's not completely impossible