Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    NBA rookie of the year

Default Re: Best way to gain weight

Quote Originally Posted by baseketball4life
    i was a small guy too moron

i use to weigh 135 for 6'0 in height, then i started consuming a **** load of calories and the weight started pooring on... i normally took in like 2500-3000 cal, then i upped that # to 5000 range, and u wont throw anything up, just pace yourself... if you throw up after pacing your way to 5000 cal a day you probably have anorexia or bulimia which is why you cant add on weight

for example, i would eat a different fast food place almost everyday and eat a meal that was 1000 cal plus in itself, sure it may be unhealthy but if you're telling me that if you eat tons of fast food/junk food/candy/and consume a TON of calories and you wont gain weight then you're retarded...
    I eat fast food but if I eat too much of it I get awful heartburn or I get sick. It doesn't work for everyone. Some people can gain weight and some can't really. What is your body fat % because I'd prefer to gain more muscle because gaining a ton of fat wouldn't make me much healthier..just heavier.

I also can't always "pace myself" to 5,000-6,000 calories. Sometimes I work from 7:00 to 3:00 with no time for breakfast and no lunchbreaks and other times I don't just sit at home eating all day.

Quote Originally Posted by gencbiba
    All you have to generally do is eat a lot of chicken, beef, vegetables, fruits, and take protein shakes.
    Yeah well I eat protein bars, oatmeal, red meat, fruit, protein drinks and I am losing weight not gaining it.

Quote Originally Posted by VCMVP1551
    I eat fast food but if I eat too much of it I get awful heartburn or I get sick. It doesn't work for everyone. Some people can gain weight and some can't really. What is your body fat % because I'd prefer to gain more muscle because gaining a ton of fat wouldn't make me much healthier..just heavier.

I also can't always "pace myself" to 5,000-6,000 calories. Sometimes I work from 7:00 to 3:00 with no time for breakfast and no lunchbreaks and other times I don't just sit at home eating all day.
    well agreed, its different for different people, at the time i was a senior in HS with no job so i had a lot of free time... i can see how its different but its worked for a lot of people i know

i havent checked my % body fat in a while but im 6'0 160, last time i checked it was 7 or 8%

using one of those online body fat calculators that ask for weight and waist size i got 8% just now but i dont know how accurate that is

i got skinny because of growth, wasn't skinny as a kid and now is hard for me to gain weight...

Quote Originally Posted by baseketball4life
    no such thing

if you consume 6000 calories there is no way you wont gain weight, and if you dont then consume more

That's impossible unless you weigh about 300 pounds. If I ate that much, I'd explode.

Quote Originally Posted by White Chocolate
    That's impossible unless you weigh about 300 pounds. If I ate that much, I'd explode.
    thats weird, when i was 135 im 6'0, 5000 cal was pretty hard, but i didnt feel sick or nothing, got up to my desired weight 160, and stopped that 5000 stuff and went back down to a normal diet... guess as VC says it depends on the person

5-time NBA All-Star

Hateraid summed it up to a tee.

Try taking napz, after your post-workout meal. Sumo wrestlerz require this within their training (but then again they wake up at the crack of dawn), and it retainz weight; as food is absorbed quickly, and due to the lack of movement; the weight is as well.

Peanut butter, milk, whole grainz, starchy vegetables, a good steak once in a while, liberal portionz of chicken, fish, soup, pasta, alongside the NECESSARY WATER, fruits, veggies will get you to your goal.

Also, down not one, not two, but THREE eggs for breakfast if you're not suffering from bad cholesterol. Oatmeal alongside that is awesome.

Phuck the supplements, IMO.

Go for four strong, well-balanced meals; try not to twitch too much, and despite what ForceofNature (textbook pseudo-intellectual howardnutgobbling idiot) said; DO CARDIO. Yes it will slow the gaining process slightly, but it's far better to be in shape and maintain that cardiovascular endurance; running coordination; then just get "Big." Matter of fact, if you're skipping cardio; you'll be in a MUCH WORSE state than your natural skinny form.

Lift hard, and remember P.A.T.I.E.N.C.E. The grass is greener on the other side; and even an albino-chocolate skinny b!tch like yourself envokez envy among many fatties around. Best of luck!

Saw a basketball once

I would guess that a great way to gain weight is to eat a PB&J prior to going to bed so that the weight will help to add body weight and would turn to muscle once you lift.

NBA rookie of the year

A Double Whopper w/cheese meal has 1800 calories with is just about the same amount of calories you need for an entire day. Just make three trips to BK for a few weeks and you'll see some results easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarik One
    A Double Whopper w/cheese meal has 1800 calories with is just about the same amount of calories you need for an entire day. Just make three trips to BK for a few weeks and you'll see some results easily.

I don't eat that sh!t. I like my normal cholestorol.

In It to Win It

Quote Originally Posted by White Chocolate
    I've been struggling to gain weight(muscle). I gained some weight recently, but that's because I've been eating anything and everything. I'm 6'2" 160. I started working out last week and am hoping to get to about 175-180. I don't have large bones, so it will be difficult. Any advice would be appreciated.
    Take protein shakes. Work out, then mix a scoop of this with milk:

Basically, it's 100% whey protein.

Banned

Im not really interesting in gaining weight but whats the best way to add more muscle (if that makes sense) I mean getting a bit more toned. I heard doing a lot of cardio helps.. but is there anything else?

Quote Originally Posted by dynasty23
    Im not really interesting in gaining weight but whats the best way to add more muscle (if that makes sense) I mean getting a bit more toned. I heard doing a lot of cardio helps.. but is there anything else?
    Lighter weight, and more reps in general will make you more ripped when lifting. And cardio to cut the excess fat to let the muscles be seen

Franco Hamilton
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Quote Originally Posted by ihatetimthomas
    Lighter weight, and more reps in general will make you more ripped when lifting. And cardio to cut the excess fat to let the muscles be seen
    Correct! And if you would like to add sheer muscle mass, then it's moderate-high weight/moderate reps, medium periods of rest (90 seconds or so).

Don't know the specifics, but you do want the testosterone and ATP energy raging inside your body, and don't ever go longer than 40 minutes. Limit cardio as well. Diet is big, and honestly thinness is a blessing, just like being left-handed, possessing a superior IQ, having clear skin etc.. Growing up, I had weight problems because fresh fruits/vegetables were nowhere to be found? You should be grateful!

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease ekzistenz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JEFFERSON MONEY
    Hateraid summed it up to a tee.

Try taking napz, after your post-workout meal. Sumo wrestlerz require this within their training (but then again they wake up at the crack of dawn), and it retainz weight; as food is absorbed quickly, and due to the lack of movement; the weight is as well.
    That napping thing sounds pretty interesting, I'll have to check it out.

Peanut butter, milk, whole grainz, starchy vegetables, a good steak once in a while, liberal portionz of chicken, fish, soup, pasta, alongside the NECESSARY WATER, fruits, veggies will get you to your goal.

Also, down not one, not two, but THREE eggs for breakfast if you're not suffering from bad cholesterol. Oatmeal alongside that is awesome.
    Yep, definitely. When I was gaining weight I was eating loads of eggs, milk, cottage cheese and muesli. Also in addition to that nuts of all types are great for protein too. I was eating a lot of pecans, peanuts and almonds.

Phuck the supplements, IMO.

Go for four strong, well-balanced meals; try not to twitch too much, and despite what ForceofNature (textbook pseudo-intellectual howardnutgobbling idiot) said; DO CARDIO. Yes it will slow the gaining process slightly, but it's far better to be in shape and maintain that cardiovascular endurance; running coordination; then just get "Big." Matter of fact, if you're skipping cardio; you'll be in a MUCH WORSE state than your natural skinny form.
    I wouldn't forgo supplements. I'd definitely say that protein shakes, either pre or post workout helped me to gain weight. I generally have a shake with bananas, protein powder, milk, pecans, yoghurt and not only does it taste good but it has heaps of protein in it.

I've also heard that eating 6 smaller meals is better than eating 4 bigger meals, although I'm not too sure whether it's true or not. Either way, eating as much as possible all the time is the only sure way for gaining weight. If you think you eat a lot and you aren't gaining weight, you are most likely wrong. Take time to create a diary of your meals and try to create a meal plan and follow it. There are plenty of sites out there that will help you with this.

With regards to cardio, I wouldn't be avoiding it, but I wouldn't be going out of my way for it either. Lifting by itself should be enough to keep from gaining most of the excess fat especially if you're playing basketball as well. I wouldn't be doing any cardio on top of this as the thread starter has mentioned that he has a very had time gaining weight.

For the record I'm 5'9 and went from 143 to 165 pounds (65 to 75 kg) I'd say I gained about 15-17 pounds (7-8 kg) of muscle.

o()xxx[{::::::::::::> SourPatchKids's Avatar

[FONT="Arial Black"]Naps, eh?[/FONT]