Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Default Re: What makes Americans so free?

Quote Originally Posted by 9erempiree
    Why America is so free?

First off we have the Bill of Rights that is documented in our Constitution. As human beings we have rights that no country or government should exercise against. These are rights that we are born with. These Bill of Rights allows us to stand up against tyranny.

We have the right to choose who our public officials are and have the ability to get one kicked off. Although, the system is really kind of screwed today but the premise and the idea of it is great.

Going back to the Bill of Rights, it also allows us freedom of speech. We are not suppressed of our thoughts or ideas. We are not held back when we are allowed to speak up. This is the best freedom in the world.

Finally, we are a capitalistic society. Yes, it may suck that the rich gets richer but any immigrant from any country in the world can prosper in our country without government intervention unless you are monopolizing, then the government interferes.

We da Bess.
    Fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by oarabbus
    Thanks for the contribution, Stalin.
    Enjoy your freedom which is not freedom anyway and watch the society collaps under itself while you are at it

Banned

I am a real American. That is why people probably think I am a troll because I speak my mind and strongly believe in what I say. You guys just find it overwhelming, which I never took seriously.

That is why I don't take into offense if Euros or others don't understand my facts.

Banned

I am a real American. That is why people probably think I am a troll because I speak my mind and strongly believe in what I say. You guys just find it overwhelming, which I never took seriously.

That is why I don't take into offense if Euros or others don't understand my facts.
    You are a true american, you claim your arguments are supported by facts but you just list a bunch of random things you've vaguely read somewhere else and don't understand what you are actually talking about. But by god will you argue your point as far as you possibly can!

Dunking on everybody in the park

Quote Originally Posted by outbreak
    You are a true american, you claim your arguments are supported by facts but you just list a bunch of random things you've vaguely read somewhere else and don't understand what you are actually talking about. But by god will you argue your point as far as you possibly can!
    Being jelly will not make you more free. Just bitter.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by outbreak
    How is it not supported by facts? All I talked about was the Bill of Rights that all Americans have. That is fact.

...because of this Bill of Rights, it allows us to be more free beyond just being able to drink, drive, smoke or doing anything that doesn't break the law.

We are allowed freedoms far more greater than what the law prohibits. Heck, some countries persecute those that speak their minds. Speaking up and having these rights are very powerful.

I am sure most people will trade their lives for the Bill of Rights.

On top of that, we are allowed to open businesses and do what is necessary to make a living. Heck, most 2nd generation people I know are rich here. America gave them the opportunity.

I rule the local playground

Because freedom is the central of all all American values and ideas and they worked hard at it, obviously they got a lot of things right. They were never perfect, never will be but will always strive to get better and more free, no matter the challenges and obstacles in front.

And the difference between USA and Canada or Western Europe is that USA is a whole lot more individualistic. Whereas it's counterparts were always more community oriented. It is somewhat limiting. Not a whole lot but...it's another bit that makes USA more free although nowadays it may seem completely negligble.

In a sense, I get where OP is coming from even though he is from London and being from there he can't be too envious but I do get him, USA does have all countries in the world beat.

Serious playground baller CeilingFan#1's Avatar

Banned

If you have to ask, you'll never know.

Relevant Bill Hicks video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mssKE_b48k

[LIST][*]democracy[*]no slavery[*]limited federal power and maintaining states' power[*]irrevocable voting rights for all genders and races[*]free market capitalism[*]relatively minimal government regulations[*]freedom to own guns[*]freedom to practice any religion[*]free speech[*]freedom of the press[*]freedom to peacefully assemble and protest[*]prohibited search & seizure without warrants[*]rights to due process in a court of law[*]jury of peers[/LIST]

Banned

One big thing that people must realize is that, although this is 2014 and due to globalization, most countries do have that freedom like that of USA. England isn't suppressed like other countries but because of America most countries are following suit.

Which brings me to the point of the OP. It seems like his country and other countries are just as free as America, well that is because America have shown by example and other countries are following suit.

If this question was asked 50 years ago, then I would have a huge list why we are much more free than any other country. It is harder now because most countries are just as free as ours because they have followed our path.

We still are more free than others today due to the Bill of Rights.

Banned

I rule the local playground

One big thing that people must realize is that, although this is 2014 and due to globalization, most countries do have that freedom like that of USA. England isn't suppressed like other countries but because of America most countries are following suit.

Which brings me to the point of the OP. It seems like his country and other countries are just as free as America, well that is because America have shown by example and other countries are following suit.

If this question was asked 50 years ago, then I would have a huge list why we are much more free than any other country. It is harder now because most countries are just as free as ours because they have followed our path.

Agreed. It's why I always say as well. Although nowaydas some of those countries may be even freer and it's time for USA to follow some of their example, like with health care for example.
    But I do understand stuff like that are a very touchy subject in the USA and they concern the very identity of the nation.
    Quality of life nowadays on average is likely better in Canada and other Western European nations. It's just how it is. But many other factors are involved as well.

Good post.