Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Putting the pull-up jump shot in my game

How do you initiate your standard jumpshot? Do you start with the ball just around(or a little bit below) chest level or do you start with the ball low at waist level? If you start from waist level, the pull-up jumper is not as easy to attempt(and it slows down your release, making it easier to contest). If you start practicing starting your jump shot from the chest, you'll notice getting the shot off the dribble will feel more natural. I've always been a good shooter, but had a hard time shooting off the dribble back when I was starting my jumper from the waist, but then one of my buddies gave me those pointers and I quickly became more efficient at pull-up jumpers.

Serious playground baller

I have my players start at the top of the key, take two dribbles into the elbow with the last dribble being hard enough to get the ball up to about shoulder hight and shoot. Rebound and repeat. As you get better start from half court dribbling into the elbow

Go Spurs Go

Quote Originally Posted by clipps
    How do you initiate your standard jumpshot? Do you start with the ball just around(or a little bit below) chest level or do you start with the ball low at waist level? If you start from waist level, the pull-up jumper is not as easy to attempt(and it slows down your release, making it easier to contest). If you start practicing starting your jump shot from the chest, you'll notice getting the shot off the dribble will feel more natural. I've always been a good shooter, but had a hard time shooting off the dribble back when I was starting my jumper from the waist, but then one of my buddies gave me those pointers and I quickly became more efficient at pull-up jumpers.

you act like youre gonna drive or crossover with your NON SHOOTING HAND, but before you drop the ball on the ground, you pull up and shoot it

watch some prime tracy mcgrady vids of him dropping 40/50/etc...pullup jumpers all over the place. a thing of beauty really.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by 01amberfirewv
    I have my players start at the top of the key, take two dribbles into the elbow with the last dribble being hard enough to get the ball up to about shoulder hight and shoot. Rebound and repeat. As you get better start from half court dribbling into the elbow
    I find that starting in the triple threat with a jabstep and then going into ONE dribble usually gets me more space than if I had done the same thing with two dribbles.

Is there a reason for two dribbles or am I doing it wrong?

Banned

practice staying low and on a level plane and exploding into your pullups

always square up, ten toes to the rim

something that might help is going through it slowly but your last driblle should always be a hard aggressive dribble to get the defender to bite on the drive

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by scm5
    I find that starting in the triple threat with a jabstep and then going into ONE dribble usually gets me more space than if I had done the same thing with two dribbles.

Is there a reason for two dribbles or am I doing it wrong?
    if you catch the ball off a swing, try taking off as soon as you catch it

you'll see two dribbles and a pull up works very well as your defender will immediately assumer after one dribble that you are trying to go to the rim

after the second dribble you'll have more than enough space to pull up, but off of a stand still it doesn't work as often because you don't have the advantage of having your defense off balance as you would if you caught the ball in a swing situation