Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Good college starter

Default Re: Which new smartphone do I buy?

Quote Originally Posted by BankShot
    For what reasons would you go Android over iPhone?

I don't really watch videos or game on my phone (so less or very little need for a large screen) and I haven't like in the past how some apps (social games, social apps, certain GPS apps) haven't been available on the Android market
    I'm just used to Android now so I'm more productive with it.
    - I use the file manager a lot,
    - I can just connect it to any PC and use it as a USB storage
    - It's more customizable. I don't like the home screen on iOS, which is basically just a grid of icons. Also, the fact that I can change default apps.

You mentioned you won't use it for media, so the only place a bigger screen will make a difference for you would be web browsing. Honestly, if none of this matters to you, go with the 5S. It's a solid package and is very well-built. The hardware design, UI, camera, it's a complete package. Not to mention, it's future proof since you're guaranteed to get software updates for a long time.

Decent college freshman Doctor Rivers's Avatar

Nexus 5.

Google is announcing it this week.

For what reasons would you go Android over iPhone?

I don't really watch videos or game on my phone (so less or very little need for a large screen) and I haven't like in the past how some apps (social games, social apps, certain GPS apps) haven't been available on the Android market
    You're not asking about which phone, but which OS/environment is better.

I know three guys who work on phone stores and they use the HTC One.

Really it sounds like you would be fine with any of the new flagship phones that are out. I use the phone about the same as you it sounds like and I've been happy with my Windows Lumia 920 (great cams on these phones), but I cracked my screen over the weekend and have to shop around. Think I'll go with the One, but hoping to get some good info from others in this thread.

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by HoopsFanNumero1

- It's more customizable. I don't like the home screen on iOS, which is basically just a grid of icons. Also, the fact that I can change default apps.

You mentioned you won't use it for media, so the only place a bigger screen will make a difference for you would be web browsing. Honestly, if none of this matters to you, go with the 5S. It's a solid package and is very well-built. The hardware design, UI, camera, it's a complete package. Not to mention, it's future proof since you're guaranteed to get software updates for a long time.
    I didn't want to mention this, as to keep away the iHaters away.... but I'm on a MacBook so the iPhone would have the advantage in the ease of connectivity

Thats the one thing that has lacked with my Galaxy in the past. It has been a hassle to connect with and move files among my phone and my laptop

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by KevinNYC
    You're not asking about which phone, but which OS/environment is better.

I know three guys who work on phone stores and they use the HTC One.
    Thats both true and not true.... I suppose the first question is iPhone vs. Android, and the from there if I go with Android its what kind of Android phone I would want to get.

3-time NBA All-Star

As of now, thats the way I'm leaning... for the reasons you mentioned, as well as the App market, and the ease of connection with my MacBook.... but given my positive experience in the past with the Samsung brand, as well as my familiarity with Android and the Google-brand web services I'm not quite ready to make the jump.

Hence the OP

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Rivers
    Nexus 5.

nvm I just read that you're switching to the big red so the Nexus is out of the question.

If you're well entrenched in the Google ecosystem it might be best to stick with Android. The HTC One is generally considered to be slightly better than the Galaxy S4, but you can't go wrong wither way. I wouldn't worry too much about the updates--the S4 is slated to be updated to 4.3 within the next month. The iPhone definitely gets iOS updates in a more timely manner but I feel that advantage can be mitigated by the increased hardware requirements.

Good college starter

nvm I just read that you're switching to the big red so the Nexus is out of the question.

If you're well entrenched in the Google ecosystem it might be best to stick with Android. The HTC One is generally considered to be slightly better than the Galaxy S4, but you can't go wrong wither way. I wouldn't worry too much about the updates--the S4 is slated to be updated to 4.3 within the next month. The iPhone definitely gets iOS updates in a more timely manner but I feel that advantage can be mitigated by the increased hardware requirements.
    Google has most of their apps available on iOS as well, so I don't think that's too big of a deal.

Okay.... so "looks" and "power" sounds good... but what exactly does that mean?

As for battery I charge it overnight, every single night, so that really shouldn't be an issue for me in 2013
    The phone is completely made of aluminum (except the glass screen, obviously). It looks and also feels like a high end phone when you hold it. The speakers are incredible. The screen is absolutely gorgeous. It has the highest resolution among the current phones, if I'm not mistaken. By power, I mean that it can handle any app/game without any issue. The camera on the One is pretty good as well. Not the best, but gets the job done.

I didn't want to mention this, as to keep away the iHaters away.... but I'm on a MacBook so the iPhone would have the advantage in the ease of connectivity

Thats the one thing that has lacked with my Galaxy in the past. It has been a hassle to connect with and move files among my phone and my laptop
    I've used 2 iPhones and 2 Android phones in the last one year. I love the iPhone over the Galaxy line phones, but the HTC One is MUCH better than the 5 (haven't used the 5s/5c). Connecting the One to your MacBook isn't an issue. I use one a MBP as well and it works well with my One.

I don't have a lot of experience with other phones, but I really like my HTC ONe.

soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

If you're not going with an Iphone go with an HTC One. Samsungs are garbage.

Btw

Google has most of their apps available on iOS as well, so I don't think that's too big of a deal.
    Oh yeah the gap between Android and iOS with app offerings isn't really an issue today (quality of those apps is another issue), but I meant it more in terms of someone being invested in all the Google services (Gmail, Calendar, Drive etc.) trying to move over to the iOS counterparts.

Nexus 5.

this. wait a few days.

htc one is pretty damn nice too, that's what i'm using right now but i'll probably switch to the nexus next week.(i also use it in conjunction with my MBA, but i'm replacing that with an acer s7 today)
    Last edited by rezznor; 10-14-2013 at 09:11 AM.

Serious playground baller General's Avatar

I would recommend getting the Nokia Lumia 925. It's basically a Lumia 920 but much thinner and lighter. Looks great too.