Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Why aren't I getting better?

Quote Originally Posted by JMT
    The larger question is why, at 25 years of age and 5'7", are you that concerned with focusing time and efforts on basketball?

Not trying to be a bad guy, but realistically it will never be more than a hobby, you'll never be more than just OK, and in 5 years or so your body won't allow you to do even the things you can do now.
    all very true. no point in really practicing basketball anymore. More important things in life to focus on at that age

i have many relatives that played well into their 40s, dunking and everything. Just because you couldnt, doesnt mean he cant
    good for them. Point is he should just find games on his level and have fun there. There is no point of doing drills by yourself at age 25. That is just a waste of time. There is no reward.
    Last edited by IGOTGAME; 11-05-2012 at 01:41 PM.

Serious playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by Burgz V2
    why do you care?

i have many relatives that played well into their 40s, dunking and everything. Just because you couldnt, doesnt mean he cant.
    It's good exercise and its important to keep moving no matter how old you are

Quote Originally Posted by IGOTGAME
    all very true. no point in really practicing basketball anymore. More important things in life to focus on at that age good for them. Point is he should just find games on his level and have fun there. There is no point of doing drills by yourself at age 25. That is just a waste of time. There is no reward.
    You've got to have a reason to push yourself. For me if it's not basketball it'll be something else. In college and a few years after it was power lifting, then mountain biking and now basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Burgz V2
    why do you care?

i have many relatives that played well into their 40s, dunking and everything. Just because you couldnt, doesnt mean he cant.
    I did. And I don't doubt other people did. But I doubt they were 5'7" and picked up the game in their mid-20's.

As for caring, not really. Just asking the question.

Point being, if basketball is a form of exercise and a healthy diversion, that's great. But that's all it's ever going to be for the OP. So play games with people at or slightly above your skill level and enjoy. But video taping your workouts? Skill drills? A waste of time at that stage and time is all we have.
    Last edited by JMT; 11-05-2012 at 05:25 PM.

why I even like Rondo CeltsGarlic's Avatar

all very true. no point in really practicing basketball anymore. More important things in life to focus on at that age

good for them. Point is he should just find games on his level and have fun there. There is no point of doing drills by yourself at age 25. That is just a waste of time. There is no reward.
    So wrong my friend. Its healthy and great to forget everyday problems.

Quote Originally Posted by CeltsGarlic
    So wrong my friend. Its healthy and great to forget everyday problems.
    I love playing basketball. I play everytime that I can. However, there is nothing to gain now from doing skill work. You are never going to see me heading up to the gym by myself to put up 1000 shots at 26. By this time, you either got it or ya don't. Why not take that time spent on skill work and actually play games?

It's funny when people tell others not to do what makes them happy.

Quote Originally Posted by ace23
    this.

guy asks for help getting better, and people tell him don't.

Quote Originally Posted by ace23
    I'm trying to help him out. He is never going to be good at basketball. Maybe he will get that and spend his time doing things that will make him happy.

National High School Star

I'm trying to help him out. He is never going to be good at basketball. Maybe he will get that and spend his time doing things that will make him happy.
    ****, you're a negative **** aren't you?

First, basketball does make me happy, I enjoy everything about it and love playing it.

Second, I'm not bad for only playing for a few years. I'm a solid ball handler and have a good mid range game and solid defence and understanding.

Third, basically by saying 'I'm not getting any better' is by over the first year or two, I improved relatively quickly, but now I feel as though I have reached a point and my skill level has plateaued. I have not seen much improvement, if any at all as of the last say 5 months.

I always expect perfect games from myself, whether it be pick up or in the local league, and It frustrated me not being able to do what I believe I can.
    I feel like I let the team and my self down.

And even if basketball is my hobby, or whatever your hobby is, wouldn't you like to strive to improve yourself in what ever the task is?

I don't even like the guy, but basketball makes him happy. I am also 25 yrs.old basketball player. I always see some 40 up to 56 yrs.old enjoying the game in our basketball court every weekend. The guy just started playing basketball almost 4 years ago. I am sure the retired basketball players like Pippen and Rodman play basketball when they are not busy.

Quote Originally Posted by JMT

Point being, if basketball is a form of exercise and a healthy diversion, that's great. But that's all it's ever going to be for the OP. So play games with people at or slightly above your skill level and enjoy. But video taping your workouts? Skill drills? A waste of time at that stage and time is all we have.
    It's not like he is devoting all his time to playing basketball with aims of becoming pro at age of 25.

National High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by Jyap9675
    It's not like he is devoting all his time to playing basketball with aims of becoming pro at age of 25.
    Didn't you hear? My goal is to reach the nba!?!

Wait...we're on a hardcore basketball forum and someone is telling this guy it's a waste of time to play...BASKETBALL?

WTF?

Quote Originally Posted by Pushxx
    Wait...we're on a hardcore basketball forum and someone is telling this guy it's a waste of time to play,...BASKETBALL?

WTF?
    He's saying drills are a waste of time when you're too old and you should just be contented on how you play with no aims of getting better.

Do it for yourself, it feels so rewarding when you get complimented in the courts saying that you have improved a lot. Heck doing drills is even better than just staring at the computer all day, playing games etc

Just make sure you have other things in your life going on - work, relationships, education. It's all about balance.

I rule the local playground Rojogaqu11's Avatar

Not to hijack this thread with my personal experience but I'd like to add that at almost 30 years old I went back to play basketball after maybe a 5 year hiatus. I was never a bad player but I had above average skills on a scrawny, prematurely old and weak body. I really felt out of place. I just kept practicing by simulating different game situations.
    I think that your case may be that you're not practicing the right stuff. Focus your practices on becoming proficient in one thing at a time. Get your basics checked. Maybe start by understanding how your body moves when playing. Think more about your legs than your arms at the start. Find anything that could be improved through strength training or by increasing your endurance. Check your sleep habits, diet, take a physical exam, get your duties straight, etc. just do anything that will convince you that you are healthy and ready to accomplish your goal.
    No matter what you hear, being 25 is NOT being old. You are young!. If you focus and try hard, you will gain something eventually. Just be patient and smart, because if you get frustrated easily, or you expect unrealistic results, then you need to focus on building your character before building your basketball skills. No one succeeds in a competitive activity with little effort or without a plan.

The most important thing is to have fun. If you don't have fun while trying out new skills, drills, diets, exercises, playing with others, etc. then you're probably placing too much effort on something that isn't worthwhile.
    At your height, dreaming to reach the NBA is a very difficult task, and you would have to see what players like Nate Robinson, Boykins, etc. had to go through to get there. It's not impossible, but your main goal should always be to make basketball a rewarding experience no matter the context you're in. As long as you enjoy what you do, and it's something that creates something positive for you and those around you, then it's definitely meant for you even if you are not "successful" at it.