Default Lets Be Real: Dirk Was More Successful as a Lead Dog Than KG

And its not even close, really.

Default Re: Lets Be Real: Dirk Was More Successful as a Lead Dog Than KG

Does anyone dispute that..?

Curry: 0x Finals MVP SilkkTheShocker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KingBeasley08
    Does anyone dispute that..?

I just think its comical when people say there is no arguement for Dirk over KG on the all time player rankings. Dirk did a lot more as a lead-dog and actually led his team to a title.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Mavs >>> Wolves.

The Joe Smith fiasco really held the Wolves back, and stunted Garnett's progress as the lead guy.

Adbloock<3

You got to factor in TBW terrible front office and that KG didn't get one single draft pick in seven years. His team sucked, as for talent I would say KG is superior. He was the better passer, defender (by faaaar), rebounder.

Once he got some talent around him he won the title, IMO he should have won the FMVP, but yeah Dirk is a great player, one of the best PF scorer ever.

There is a case for both of them but I'm giving KG the nod.

Curry: 0x Finals MVP SilkkTheShocker's Avatar

So if you replaced Dirk with prime KG on that 2011 Mavs team, do people still see them winning the Finals? I don't.

It isn't close gimme the guy who can close out games, series regularly. Lets not act like Garnett doesn't dissapear in the 4th.

Game 6, 2010 finals

Garnett 12 points 6 rebounds

Game 7: 17 points (not that bad) but 3 rebounds

Dirk Game 6 of the 2011 NBA finals

21 points 11 rebounds on horrible efficiency but he still left it all on the line

Dirk Game 6 of 2006 NBA finals

30 points 15 boards and who knows what would've happended if Jason Terry didn't think he was ******* ray allen at the end of the game

Good college starter Rubio2Gasol's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SilkkTheShocker
    So if you replaced Dirk with prime KG on that 2011 Mavs team, do people still see them winning the Finals? I don't.
    You could put together a weaker team with players more suited to playing with Kg and they would get it done to be honest.Prime KG was a monster, put him on any of Duncan's championship teams and he's get it done.

That doesn't mean he was better at playing basketball though.

Dirk is a true #1 option.. a KG lead team will never win a ring. You only pick KG over Dirk if he's the 2nd option.

Adbloock<3

Don't know about that, that team was built around Dirk so you could never compare that way.

But KG would have won with Timmy's teams and also with any good SG (Kobe, DWade).

Local High School Star Mr Know It All's Avatar

Arguing Dirk vs. KG is one of the better debates on ISH. In fact, probably the best player debate going.

Both played in same era, both had dominant statistical seasons at their peak KG (2004, 2005), Dirk (2006, 2007). Both had remarkable runs that fell short in their peak (KG 2004, Dirk 2006), and both had terrific seasons and title runs a little bit past their prime (KG 2008, Dirk 2011).

To top it all off, both players have something to hold over the other. KG as the better all-around PF (better rebounder and defender) and Dirk as the better "superstar" because of his clutch play and perennial success as the Mavericks franchise player.

To me, it's dead even, even thought I love Dirk as a player and tend to dislike KG because of his personality. Only thing that might put one over the top is another title (must be as at least #2 or #3 best player on the team though). Currently, it looks like neither Dirk or KG will realistically be able to fulfill that, so the debate rages on.

Facts Are Misleading

Quote Originally Posted by Cone
    Dirk is a true #1 option.. a KG lead team will never win a ring. You only pick KG over Dirk if he's the 2nd option.
    It did though. I was hard on Garnett early in his career and really did not like the way he played in the '08 finals at all, but he did lead them to the ring as much as anyone else on the team did from the stand-point of taking all the series into factor.

Quote Originally Posted by Cone
    pretty easy to say a kg led team will never win a ring when he's a couple seasons from retirement.

Probably not. Why would they? That Mavs team was built around Dirk's strengths.

Would Dirk be able to take Minny's supporting cast in '04 to the Conference finals? With guys like Sprewell, Hudson, Cassell and Szczerbiak?