Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: Why don't more players catch the ball instead of swatting it on defense?

i have no doubt they can do it but half the battle is also the timing and the arc of the ball shooter's shot. today's NBA players dont put up garbage shots.

Default Re: Why don't more players catch the ball instead of swatting it on defense?

Quote Originally Posted by Clippersfan86
    McGee, Dwight, DJ and even Bynum all fit into these categories. Best wingspans, standing reaches and even verticals for bigmen (besides Bynum). They definitely should be able to catch 1 a game.
    Um, do you know what overstatment means?

Are you talking about DJ Mbenga? who has averaged 1.0 blocks only once in his career?

How about JaVale McGee? or Dwight? They averaged 2.4 last year. So to reach your ridiculous one snatch-block per game means that 42% of their blocks should be the hardest type of block to get.

How come guys never do 360 between the legs dunks in games either? We should see like 20 of those every week.

Local High School Star Inactive's Avatar

Catching a blocked shot is extremely difficult, I doubt we'll ever see much of that. A lot of players swat the ball, when they could keep it in play, though. I guess it's because

A. They still get rewarded with a block in the box score, whether they retain possession, or not.
    B. Coaches don't yell at them for it.
    C. They don't care that it's more effective to retain possession, and just want to end up on a highlight reel/intimidate their opponent.
    D. They're dumb, and it never really occurred to them that it's better to retain possession, than give the other team a second shot.

It's really hard to do (talking as someone who does it once in a while when playing in our rec league, I'm 6'9").

However, swatting the shit out of it DOES have a psychological effect regardless of what that stupid quote said. Even if it doesn't demoralize the other team (it usually does), it definitely provides a boost of morale for your own team.

Clipper Nation Soldier Clippersfan86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Droid101
    It's really hard to do (talking as someone who does it once in a while when playing in our rec league, I'm 6'9").

However, swatting the shit out of it DOES have a psychological effect regardless of what that stupid quote said. Even if it doesn't demoralize the other team (it usually does), it definitely provides a boost of morale for your own team.
    It does have a psychological effect for sure but it messes with their head just as much to clown them and just catch the ball. I know it's obviously harder than blocking a shot... but people make it sound like it's impossible. I've done it to players bigger than me and I have an average vertical and I'm only 5'11. If you're lengthy, have good coordination and have good athleticism it should be more frequent than it is. I really think it's a mindset issue. I mean if players in the NFL can block field goal attempts... NBA players can snatch shots out of the air. These are world class athletes we are talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinNYC
    Um, do you know what overstatment means?

Are you talking about DJ Mbenga? who has averaged 1.0 blocks only once in his career?

How about JaVale McGee? or Dwight? They averaged 2.4 last year. So to reach your ridiculous one snatch-block per game means that 42% of their blocks should be the hardest type of block to get.

How come guys never do 360 between the legs dunks in games either? We should see like 20 of those every week.
    I think you're reading too much into it. I specifically listed those players because they are great athletic shotblockers with amazing wingspans. I'm not saying everyone can or should do it. I'm specifically talking about gifted, shotblocking bigs.

I think you're reading too much into it. I specifically listed those players because they are great athletic shotblockers with amazing wingspans. I'm not saying everyone can or should do it. I'm specifically talking about gifted, shotblocking bigs.
    I think I'm reading exactly the right amount into. And I think you've been watching too many video games.

Let me break it down slower for you.

Talking specifically about gifted shotblocking bigs, TWO specific ones actually: Dwight Howard and JaVale McGee.

Last season Dwight Howard averaged 2.4 blocks a game..
    Javale also average 2.4 blocks a game

That makes it easy. You're saying these are two types of players who should average at least one catchblock per game. This, when they are not even getting 3 blocks a game--including barely-got-em-end-of-the-fingertips type blocks-- you want them to get 82 once-in-a-blue-moon type blocks.

1 divided 2.4 is .42 or 42%. So you think that 42% of their blocks should be a catch blocks because that is what you are asking. It would require nearly half their blocks to be that spectacular.

It's like asking how come great scorers don't hit one falling out of the corner three per game? It's stuff that you can do routinely in video games, but not in the NBA.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinNYC
    I think I'm reading exactly the right amount into. And I think you've been watching too many video games.

Let me break it down slower for you.

Talking specifically about gifted shotblocking bigs, TWO specific ones actually: Dwight Howard and JaVale McGee.

Last season Dwight Howard averaged 2.4 blocks a game..
    Javale also average 2.4 blocks a game

That makes it easy. You're saying these are two types of players who should average at least one catchblock per game. This, when they are not even getting 3 blocks a game--including barely-got-em-end-of-the-fingertips type blocks-- you want them to get 82 once-in-a-blue-moon type blocks.

1 divided 2.4 is .42 or 42%. So you think that 42% of their blocks should be a catch blocks because that is what you are asking. It would require nearly half their blocks to be that spectacular.

It's like asking how come great scorers don't hit one falling out of the corner three per game? It's stuff that you can do routinely in video games, but not in the NBA.
    First off.. you can't do this in a video game that I'm aware of.. so stop acting like an ignorant tard with a stick up his ass. Secondly... let's just say one every couple games then? You're running way too hard with the details of my post when it was a general, vague question. I just said at least 1 a game as an idea, not something set in stone. Let's say one every few games then. Nonetheless why don't we see it more? Instead of berating me like a little di** when you don't know me.. how about you just give an opinion on the topic at hand. We have enough condescending pricks on ISH and don't need another.

I gave specific parameters to the idea of catch blocks such as... post players, inside the paint, great athleticism, great wingspans. It's not like I'm suggesting this on jumpshots etc.. or anything ridiculous. I think this can be done a lot more than players do it. Obviously if they skin the ball with their fingers it's not going to be something they can catch.. SMH.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPOAeJZV0W0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ih11QDHSOvk

DJ could of caught both of these. If you can block a shot with your elbow or forearm.. you can catch it. Common sense.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phJGd...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yo0gt...eature=related

Look carefully at these Dwight blocks. Both of them are clearly with the palm of his hand not his fingertips. It would require less energy and timing to go straight up and catch with 1 or 2 hands.. than it would to swat it that hard.

These are just 4 examples. I can post 20 more at least.

Here's the proper way for a 7 footer to block a shot. Props to McGee.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dziVjMKgi4w

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

Good news Clippersfan: You won't have to worry about Blake Griffin swatting anything away as he can't block a shot worth a crap or play any defense for that matter come to think of it.

Go to the gym, and try to catch the ball, hell even try to get more than ONE block.
    When you leave you will have your answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke117
    Good news Clippersfan: You won't have to worry about Blake Griffin swatting anything away as he can't block a shot worth a crap or play any defense for that matter come to think of it.
    He's one of the best man defenders for his size as proven by stats. He's actually 1st among PF's and C's in isolation and perimeter scoring attempts as he only allows a basket in 30 percent of these situations. Keep believing what the general population does though and staying misinformed. Yes Blake is a poor interior defender and shotblocker though. Good news for ClippersFANS is that he was just a rookie. You mad?

Quote Originally Posted by zay_24
    Go to the gym, and try to catch the ball, hell even try to get more than ONE block.
    When you leave you will have your answer.
    I'm not a 7 footer with elite athleticism and wingspan. Comparing apples to oranges asking an average Joe to go replicate what elite athletes can do. These guys have been playing basketball their entire lives too. Getting coached to read the offense. Me saying 1 a game was just a loose example and clearly unrealistic. Even one every 4 or 5 games though? Why isn't that realistic?
    Last edited by Clippersfan86; 09-16-2011 at 06:01 PM.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

He's one of the best man defenders for his size as proven by stats. He's actually 1st among PF's and C's in isolation and perimeter scoring attempts as he only allows a basket in 30 percent of these situations. Keep believing what the general population does though and staying misinformed. Yes Blake is a poor interior defender and shotblocker though. Good news for ClippersFANS is that he was just a rookie. You mad?
    So he's POOR at the most IMPORTANT DEFENSIVE RESPONSIBILITIES OF A BIG MAN...way to make my point for me, thank you.