Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast

Question Pro-Life vs Pro-Choice Where do you stand?

I've heard the arguments from both sides, and after being on the fence for a bit, I'm now leaning towards pro-choice.

I truly believe in ONLY bringing a child into this world when you are 100% mentally and physically able to support that child. There are far too many children in this world can't/don't go to school or eat properly or have a roof over their heads at night. A lot of these kids were brought into this world simply because their parent(s) "wanted children".

If there is a chance you can prevent millions of children from being brought into this world only to live in poverty, you do it. That doesn't mean that everyone is going to abort their child... but if a woman truly believes she can't give her future child the support it needs, she should have the option. If a woman gets raped, she should have the option. If a young woman in university has a condom break and her options are drop out of school and raise the kid or abort it and stay in university, she should have the option.

Where do you guys stand on this touchy subject?

a LAKER & a DODGER fan Lakerlove420's Avatar

Default Re: Pro-Life vs Pro-Choice Where do you stand?

choice

Serious playground baller paperstreet's Avatar

Pro-Choice

I am not sure what I would do if my girl got knocked up, but I don't believe it's right for the government or anyone else to tell someone they can't have an abortion. It's pushing their values and beliefs on someone else.

Also, if it is illegal, some women will still want to get them, and it becomes much less safe.

pro choice. but at the same time ppl need to learn. thats how my bruh learned 3 kids by 19 not fun

Definitely choice. There's many valid reasons to terminate a pregnancy. Rape, pregnant even with protection and unable to support the child, sonogram shows the baby will have a disability(ex: Down Syndrome), not emotionally ready for the child. Now I know many people will say put the baby up for adoption, but that can be even worse than aborting it. Knowing that you gave up your child is traumatizing enough.

My personal viewpoint is this: the system heavily favors the female, and thus isn't impartial. For example:

Scenario 1: woman wants to keep child, man doesn't want child. In this situation, the woman can, despite the wishes of the father, have the child. Now, if the man doesn't want the child, it doesn't matter, and he's still on the hook for child support and all the legal hassell that comes along with it, and he can't get out of that unless he signs away parental rights.

Scenario 2: man wants child, woman doesn't. Now, despite the man wanting the child and willing to support the child, the woman can eliminate that possibility with no say from the father.

For me, even if I eliminate the entire "where life begins" argument, and just look at a fertilized fetus as biological material, then said material is still half the male's, as it takes his genetic "contribution" for that fetus to even exist. So I disagree how the system treats the male and totally eliminates any position of "ownership" and yet still forces upon him the responsibility. Pick one. You shouldn't be denied rights to the "woman's body" and still be obligated by law to be responsible for it. You can debate when a human becomes a human, but you can't say that something is entirely a woman's "body" and then a few months later say it's now equally shared.
    Last edited by Showtime; 05-13-2010 at 01:43 PM.

choice

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Pro-choice but I can understand why people are Pro-life. Nothing wrong with not wanting fetuses/babies die.

Roy Hibbert Super Star InspiredLebowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hawker
    Pro-choice but I can understand why people are Pro-life. Nothing wrong with not wanting fetuses/babies die.
    Same. I just hate when people who're "pro life" refer to "pro choice" people as "pro abortion." There's not one person in the entire world that wants an abortion to happen.

pro choice. keep it safe, legal, and accessible.

An uglier Lamar Doom boozehound's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BRabbiT
    that was pretty silly

I would be all for a system where when you get an abortion, you also lose your right to conceive.

Pro life....be smart, responsible, and account for your own actions. There is a always a risk but you have to willing to acknowledge and accept the consequences then abortion shouldn't be an option.

Still, I see the other side of the argument. No one wants to kids growing up in unstable homes, poverty, etc....

Quote Originally Posted by LJJ
    I would be all for a system where when you get an abortion, you also lose your right to conceive.
    Even if a girl is raped? How does that make sense?

I'd agree with you if some chick was on her 3rd abortion due to careless sex practices.