Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
    Local High School Star WoGiTaLiA1's Avatar

Default Re: Would you trade Greg Oden for Tim Duncan?

Uh....Oden had better numbers in college than Shaq and Hakeem and only had one hand to use most of the season. The guy was shooting about 60% free throws with his left hand. Snatching rebounds with his left arm. Blocking a game winning shot in root to the NCAA finals.
    Shaq and Hakeem also stayed 3 years though. Hakeem had Drexler denting his stats his first couple of seasons and also only started playing at the age Oden is now basically. But the main thing is that both stayed 2 years after putting up similar numbers to Oden. Thats the 3 year comment's basis. Oden should be solid next year, I expect he will put up comparable numbers to his college numbers. Thats pretty good. But it isnt game changing. In a couple of years he may very well be that good. I'm also not sure that the whole left hand thing is a good thing. Basically it means he has spent a year developing his off hand at the expense of his good hand. Obviously a good thing but it's not like his right hand is developed as it is.

Dont get me wrong about Oden. He is the best big man prospect since Duncan but if I feel strongly that if you can trade a project for a shot at the title for 5 years I think you do it if the rest of your team is good enough to do it.

I wouldn't trade Oden for Duncan for the Magic for example. Portland either. Seattle though I would give serious thought.

Talking Re: Would you trade Greg Oden for Tim Duncan?

I think Tim Duncan will passed the Torch to Greg Oden 2-3 years from now, Oden would be the best Bigmen in the NBA in many more years to come. He is definitely the missing Puzzle that would fit the Portland Trailblazers as perennial championship contender in the near future.
    Last edited by Lebron23; 06-11-2007 at 08:20 AM.

Talking Re: Would you trade Greg Oden for Tim Duncan?

Greg Oden needs a better Coach like Avery, I want the Portland Trailblazers to pick up Avery Johnson if the Dallas Mavericks would fired him this off season.

Avery wants a big men that can play defense and can post up play not some soft 9 yr. NBA Veteran.

I think it would work out very well for the future King of the West in many more years to come.

Quote Originally Posted by WoGiTaLiA1
    Dont get me wrong about Oden. He is the best big man prospect since Duncan but if I feel strongly that if you can trade a project for a shot at the title for 5 years I think you do it if the rest of your team is good enough to do it.

I wouldn't trade Oden for Duncan for the Magic for example. Portland either. Seattle though I would give serious thought.
    The way Portland is structuring itself at the moment is from ground up building a new identity. I think this is kind of bigger than getting Duncan and instantly competing for a championship. It's going to be an organic progression upwards.
    Last edited by kumquat; 06-11-2007 at 09:03 AM.

NBA rookie of the year Da KO King's Avatar

I like how I'm continually ignored when asking what people base the claim of "Oden will be the best big-man in the NBA" on.

That would be pathetic Greg Oden will owned Duncan 2-3 years from now and the Portland Trailblazers are future of the West so why would they gamble on signing an oldman who is better playing with a great coach and a system. Where in Oden you can realize that he might get the chance to break many NBA Records in the NBA especially the number of block shots.
    Last edited by Lebron23; 06-11-2007 at 07:27 PM.

Is Phil Jackson still available as future mentor of this team i think he can coach the Portland Trailblazers next season rather than coaching a future lottery team next year. A lottery team that has no chance to be a dominating team in the NBA forever unless 3 all star played for this team and 1 dominant Center of the future.

Jackson can finally wins his 10th championship ring to break the old record of 9 set by Red Auerbach and his Boston Celtics.

Jackson and Kobe will never win any nba championship their is no Shaq playing for their team, not even a 2nd round appearance in the post season in the last 3 years can save the Loser Angeles Lakers.
    Last edited by Lebron23; 06-11-2007 at 07:40 PM.

I usually hit open layups timmyD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RoseCity07
    No, more chances to win with Oden then Duncan. Plus you never know how good Oden will become. Duncan gets dunked on all the time by players, lets see if this happens to Oden.

wow... what a GREAT reason. yeah, i got a big ego cuzz im oden. i wont get dunked on. ill foul his ass! then ill ride the pine and watch my team lose. wheneve a guard goes into the air and a big defender goes up to try to block it its like a 95% chance itll be a foul

I usually hit open layups timmyD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lebron23
    I think Tim Duncan will passed the Torch to Greg Oden 2-3 years from now, Oden would be the best Bigmen in the NBA in many more years to come. He is definitely the missing Puzzle that would fit the Portland Trailblazers as perennial championship contender in the near future.

good call man. 2010 championsip will be portland and cleveland probably. itll be amazing to watch too

Local High School Star poeticism707's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by West-Side
    Duncan could NOT beat an elite team ONCE to his 3 championships...he got smoked by LA every year in those dynasty years.

Hakeem had to face Boston, Show-Time Lakers, Bulls, Utah, Seattle...you know REAL competition, your arrogant ass is like a router, keeps telling us the same sh*t over and over again.

Smush Parker was the MAN on the streets, he was a legend on street courts, he beat everyone on there...does that make him better then someone like Tony Parker?

Point is, Hakeem played in a tougher era...won 2 titles, put up similar numbers...he might not have AS many accomplishments as Duncan but at least the ones he has were very TOUGH to achieve, unlike Duncan. I'd rather fight a pitbull and get some licks...then fight a pug and get more licks.

Hakeem > Duncan, if you actually watched Hakeem play back in the day, you'd know why Hakeem is better.
    Duncan got smoked by the Shaq-Kobe Lakers, did he? Tim Duncan never beat an elite team enroute to his titles? Well lets have a history lesson to relieve you of your useless emotional arguments. Duncan beat the Lakers twice entroute to 2 titles; the Lakers beat Duncan twice enroute to 2 titles. Head to head in the playoffs, the Lakers barely had the edge 3-2 (and it took a Derek Fisher 1.5 second jumper in only .4 seconds of game time) between 99-2004 (did not play in 2000;TD injured before playoffs and DNP). If TD gets his 4th title (up 3-0 in the finals) half will have come from the Shaq-Kobe Lakers. What more competition can there be? One from the New Bad Boys; Ben Wallace, Rasheed Wallace are among he ALL TIME great defensive big men duos, Chancey Billups having an out of body basketball experience, and Larry Brown's unparalleled X and Os. The fourth (if it happens) is from everyone else. What is this yapping about teams they play being so poor? You mean like the Nets the Spurs played in 2003 Finals? The same Nets the your beloved Lakers played the year prior in 2002? What about the Spurs playing the Knicks in 99 Finals? What about the Lakers playing the INDIANA PACERS in the 2000 Finals? Why so mum?
    In conclusion, you are are worse than the absolute worst casual fan. You are a moron who actually thinks you possess a modicum of basketball knowledge. What's worse, you grade a team by you do not like by the strictest standard (Spurs), while giving a team you do like a pass every time on the same standard (Lakers). Hakeem's early playoff exits are "not his fault, of course!" Tim Duncan leading Hakeem hands down in every accolade and accomplishment (except DPOY, talk about TD being robbed), TD is just beating nursery children! Wrong. You cannot have it both ways. Since the Shaq-Kobe Lakers were so great, they have validated Tim Duncan and his Spurs.
    In closing, please refrain from communicating with other sentient beings about NBA basketball in general. The less of the viral infected half knowledge of yours you pass on, the better. (On second thought, do not speak to non-sentient beings either about basketball.) (On third thought, just don't speak to anyone about anything. At all. Ever. Even a fool is thought wise if he learns to keep his damn fool mouth shut).
    Last edited by poeticism707; 06-13-2007 at 06:54 PM.

Local High School Star poeticism707's Avatar

Well, it depends if I wanted a title right now, I would take Timmy Duncan. If I wanted to build for the future I would take Greg Oden.

Facts Are Misleading

To be fair the Spurs, relative to the talent throughout the league, has had a pretty tough road to all their championships.

I mean they yearly had teams like Sacremento, LAL, Dallas before they became a powerhouse, PHX that has potentially the most collection of talent in the league, not to mention the Pistons,... well you know. That's some real competition in todays game.

Now if the Spurs won their championships playing teams at the level of the ones the Cavs had to play (aside from the Pistons) then people would have a legit argument that Spurs played against inferior competiton.

That is not the case, though. Far from it.

Only posters who bring that argument up is the ones who dig for something to hate. If it's not one thing it's the other. They will always find something to bring up, legit or out of this world... it doesn't matter to them as long as they can b!tch about something.

NBA rookie of the year Da KO King's Avatar

How did this thread become about the competition the Spurs have faced over the years???

Saw a basketball once

Quote Originally Posted by mateo31
    Well, it depends if I wanted a title right now, I would take Timmy Duncan. If I wanted to build for the future I would take Greg Oden.
    i think portland with tim duncan could win rings and compete for the next 5-6 years, depending on duncans body....

all he has to do is pass the torch to randolf and cover up his weak defensive ass and the blazers, duncan accepting the defensive role instead of the franchise player role when he was with the spurs.

oden on the spurs? i give him 2 years.....then evaluate.