Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 111819202122 LastLast
    NBA Superstar

Default Re: Blake Griffin throws down best NBA dunk of year on Kendrick Perkins Jan. 30, 2012

Quote Originally Posted by bsyde82
    I don't understand how anyone who watched Vince in his prime could be THIS impressed by any other dunk.

People always mention the Weis or Zo (albeit one of my faves) dunks, but man, he had like a million in game dunks that were just nasty beyond belief. The only elite dunker to bring it all to the table: grace, power, control, creativity and that nastiness.

I think back to his first dunk contest dunk...he did it so effortlessly, so effortlessly that I think a lot of people overlook how incredible that dunk really was. I don't think there's another player in the history of the league that could've done that.
    I suppose it depends what you mean by "THIS impressed". Vince's endless array of spectacular in-game dunks is incredible. You mention the grace, power, control, creativity and nastiness aspects and I think you're right on all regards. Some dunkers just have it all. And while Carter had it all Griffin might at least be in the same general region/area code. I'll say this, I haven't been this intent on seeing a single player's highlights night in and night out since VC's '99-'07 reign.

And slightly off topic, regarding VC's first dunk in 2000, I think Paul George very well helps illustrate the point of while some folks may be able to imitate a player's dunks, it's quite another to duplicate them. Certain players are just able to handle themselves in the air with such grace. Look at George's 360 vs. VC's (5 Second Mark): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDviSeP3YZ4

And to be sure, the above clip isn't a dig on George. He's a great dunker. It's just helping illustrate that performing a dunk isn't as simple as completing the minimal task i.e. one player's 360 will differ from another's based on a significant number of factors. People have dunked on center's faces before, but Griffin's style is particularly eye-popping.

Default Re: Blake Griffin throws down best NBA dunk of year on Kendrick Perkins Jan. 30, 2012

But is it really a dunk ?....... he throws the ball down the basket from a distance, to be a dunk i would say your hand has to be on the rim

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by tomtucker
    But is it really a dunk ?....... he throws the ball down the basket from a distance, to be a dunk i would say your hand has to be on the rim
    This might sound ridiculous, but I think in the beginning of the slam dunk, hitting the rim could have very well just been a matter of happenstance. The idea behind the dunk was to force the ball into the basket.

For instance, if you and your friends are playing a game of paper wad basketball in class using a garbage bin as a basket, what will be the most effective shot, assuming your friends are playing defense? Shooting from deep? Or throwing it down into the garbage bin from close range? I feel comfortable assuming everyone would agree it's the latter. By extension, I think that was the original idea of the dunk, to force the ball into the hoop, preventing any unnecessary risks of having a shot blocked or altered. It just so happens, for 99% of dunk attempts, thrusting the ball downward into the basket will result in one's hand connecting with the rim.

Clearly, through the years, dunking developed its own separate style. For instance, I can't deny how fun it is to hang on the rim when I dunk. It's virtually never necessary, but I do it whenever I can anyway. Other people like to dunk as hard as they can while hitting their wrist or elbow on the rim. Still more (Carmelo Anthony) often prefer the throw down with little to no touch of the iron. What it comes down to is that a dunk is a throwdown. Whether someone's hand hits the rim, grabs the rim, or doesn't touch the rim altogether is merely style points.

I don't entirely understand the thought process behind folks who saw the Griffin highlight and said, "Whoa! What a dunk! Oh wait ... upon further review, I'm no longer excited because it appears as if his fingers didn't hit the rim enough." The overthinking by others about this process has in turn made me do the same, but from the other end of the spectrum.

To summarize, I feel strongly that a dunk is a throwdown. Historically, that was the whole idea behind the play in the first place. If a basketball player is able to jump high enough to where he'd be able to throw a ball into a 10 foot basket with extreme force without even touching the rim, I say more power to him, for that would be an excellent dunk.
    Last edited by Rake2204; 02-03-2012 at 12:09 PM.

It is a dunk by definition. It is not by your "gut feeling".

If that dunk is not, we need to develop a new word for that kind of throw-it-down shots, but I highly believe that most people are too lazy for that.

Local High School Star BrentISballin's Avatar

All the people in here saying it's not a dunk prob can't come close to doing it themselves in real life. It's a dunk , no way around it... what's wrong with you all?

Learning to shoot layups

His hand even hit the rim. Regardless of insane definition this was a dunk.

I just don't understand. Dude took off and would have thrown down a hard dunk. One of the heaviest, strongest dudes in the league jumped and hit Blake in the chest, HARD, halting his forward movement. Blake was still able to cock it back, after being hit hard and his forward movement halted, and throw it down.

It was a great dunk.

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease

Quote Originally Posted by Droid101
    I just don't understand. Dude took off and would have thrown down a hard dunk. One of the heaviest, strongest dudes in the league jumped and hit Blake in the chest, HARD, halting his forward movement. Blake was still able to cock it back, after being hit hard and his forward movement halted, and throw it down.

It was a great dunk.
    I'm hating a bit, and nitpicking, but I didn't see it quite like this - he had already launched himself in the air and THEN perk followed, but of course it was too late because blake was already a mile up in the air. I didn't see it as they met, or that he cocked it back after the contact, and then threw it down.

What you described fits more with what VC did to Zo back in the day. That was a guard meeting one of the GOAT shot blockers...literally meet at the rim in mid air....THEN he literally cocked it back and threw down a clean dunk in Zo's grill. You can't get any more facial than that. A lot of times, shot blockers are just a tad late, and are "surprised". Zo knew what was going down from the get go - just couldn't do anything about it.

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204

And to be sure, the above clip isn't a dig on George. He's a great dunker. It's just helping illustrate that performing a dunk isn't as simple as completing the minimal task i.e. one player's 360 will differ from another's based on a significant number of factors. People have dunked on center's faces before, but Griffin's style is particularly eye-popping.
    Yea, all 360s are definitely not equal. I wonder why VC never tried a 540 or something. Seems like prime VC could easily pull it off. Not just the dunk contest dunk, but those early toronto days when he'd do a one handed 360 on a fast break - so easy.

I think another aesthetic appeal of VC was his length - just made it look a lot better when combined with the rest of his attributes. Blake has that power and ups, but not length really. Length is a reason why I LOVE javale's dunks.

Quote Originally Posted by BurningHammer
    It is a dunk by definition. It is not by your "gut feeling".

If that dunk is not, we need to develop a new word for that kind of throw-it-down shots, but I highly believe that most people are too lazy for that.
    then let us call this kind of thing a "throwdown" then, that was infact what he did.....he threw the ball down the hoop.

Default Re: Reps for the GIF of Blake Griffin's poster on Perk

Quote Originally Posted by DirtySanchez
    I been watching bball for 25 years....greatest dunk I have ever seen.
    Watch more basketball

Vince Carter's Olympic dunk over a 7'2'' center was much much better, it's not even close.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMrPjl-927Q

Quote Originally Posted by daily
    Watch more basketball

Vince Carter's Olympic dunk over a 7'2'' center was much much better, it's not even close.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMrPjl-927Q
    You bumped a year old thread for that?

Quote Originally Posted by shaq2000
    You bumped a year old thread for that?
    Somebody else linked to the article. I just clicked and responded, it's a good topic that should be revived because it talks about a bunch of different dunks. Good discussion is hard to find on ISH and sometimes you're better off kick starting an old one

Why? do you have a problem with that?

This > Jordan's dunk easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Xsatyr
    This > Jordan's dunk easily.
    +1