Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Long term SG solution must be addressed

Per this rumor site, Bulls will most likely get rid of Watson and possibly Brewer and they likely let Asik go.....
    In the meantime their biggest need, the SG position has not been addressed.
    Rip Hamilton was ok...when he was playing, the problem was, he was always hurt and he is getting older by the minute.
    They must get the top SG that will suit their style.
    Courtney Lee is a very good 2-way player who can hit his open perimter shot at the same time play very good defense. Why not involve him in a sign and trade with Asik, Watson etc?
    Another option is OJ Mayo.
    A reliable shooting guard who can shoot and at the same time provide good defense for ATLEAST 34 MINUTES!!
    They can't affort to let these guys sign somewhere else.
    Korver can shoot but can't defend. Brewer can defend but can't shoot.
    No more one dimentional players, PLEASE.
    Last edited by tamaraw08; 07-08-2012 at 05:26 PM.

Default Re: Long term SG solution must be addressed

Agreed. I would be very happy with either one of the players you've mentioned.

I'd be happier with OJ Mayo though because he is a better ball handler and can create better for himself as well as others.

We should try to get Lee as part of a deal with Asik if we can't get Mayo.

But first priority should be to try to get Mayo.

I'd offer Korver and Watson in a deal for Mayo.

Mayo would really be the long term solution here at SG and would grow nicely in the backcourt with DRose.

Memphis could use an upgrade at backup PG and can also use some permitter shooting. Two needs that would be met with the additions of Watson and Korver.

We don't know what deals are front office are working on or what they're doing or not doing, but I just hope they're very active and exploring all opportunities to help this team improve.

Quote Originally Posted by ljsbb27
    Agreed. I would be very happy with either one of the players you've mentioned.

I'd be happier with OJ Mayo though because he is a better ball handler and can create better for himself as well as others.

We should try to get Lee as part of a deal with Asik if we can't get Mayo.

But first priority should be to try to get Mayo.

I'd offer Korver and Watson in a deal for Mayo.

Mayo would really be the long term solution here at SG and would grow nicely in the backcourt with DRose.

Memphis could use an upgrade at backup PG and can also use some permitter shooting. Two needs that would be met with the additions of Watson and Korver.

We don't know what deals are front office are working on or what they're doing or not doing, but I just hope they're very active and exploring all opportunities to help this team improve.
    I don't disagree about your sentiment about Mayo but I really think Lee is a much better defender. He is not a Trevor Ariza type who will steal/intercept the ball but his main strength is ability to stay in front of his man like Kirk used to do. Both guys will be major upgrades bec of their youth.

I feel Mayo would be the best option. Has potential, can kinda create his own shot and play defense. However, I have a feeling he'll get overpaid by someone somewhere else.

I feel Courtney Lee is over rated on this forum. I don't like OJ, but I think he's the type of player we need.

Either way, I'll be disappointed if we fail to properly fill this gap 4th year in a row.

OJ Mayo would be a great fit to help out Rose whenever he comes back. Demote Hamilton to 6th man. He's lost his step a little too much to be a starter.

Its sad that 2 years later, we are still looking for a solution to this fukking huge problem.

Saw a basketball once

How would the finances work out in trying to bring in OJ Mayo?
    Update: Mayo just signed with Dallas. Rumor in the $8-10 mil range. Chicago wouldn't pay nearly that much.
    Last edited by Letswin; 07-17-2012 at 12:34 PM.

Local High School Star Bulls_Fan20's Avatar

Post Re: Long term SG solution must be addressed

Quote Originally Posted by Letswin
    How would the finances work out in trying to bring in OJ Mayo?
    Depends on how we do it: if we sign him outright without matching Asik, we would be able to offer him the full mid-level exception up to $5 million/year. If we match Asik we would be over the tax threshold, and would only be able to offer him the mini-exception of $3 million/year. However, we would only have that available if Hinrich comes over in a S&T from the Hawks.

They could also work out a S&T with Memphis for Mayo to get him more $$. That way we wouldn

Saw a basketball once

In 2013-14, the combined salaries of the Bulls' top four players (Deng, Derrick Rose, Carlos Boozer and Joakim Noah) add up to $57.4 million. If the luxury tax level stays the same, that leaves the Bulls with less than $13 million to fill out at least nine other roster spots. That's going to be incredibly difficult, especially considering Rose's injury will likely linger all of next season. Jerry Reinsdorf insists they not to go over the luxury tax.

Do you think the Bulls Management has been doing a good job considering what they are getting for their money?

Deng - Has too high a contract period. Last year he played better, but in previous years, he just disappeared at times.

Boozer - Way too high a contract. he is the first post player we have had in a long time, but consider Spenser Hawes a respectable post player signed for $6.5-7 mil per season.

Noah - If you consider him and Asik for the same minutes per game their stats are about the same, but Asik reduces the opponents scoring by about 8 points per game.

Rose - Even as good a player as he is, $16 mil per season is high considering the financial restraints of each NBA team.

The problem is GREED. If it isn't the player's greet, it's the agents greed. They are only interested in getting the maximum cut they can. If players were really interested in winning, they would thke less so sufficient money would be available to sign a good supporting cast.

The problem is GREED. If it isn't the player's greet, it's the agents greed. They are only interested in getting the maximum cut they can. If players were really interested in winning, they would thke less so sufficient money would be available to sign a good supporting cast.
    You're absolutley right most players are looking to get the most they can. You can't blame them totally, but some of these contract amounts are too high. Many players in the NBA and in sports in general are over paid and as a result, it forces a teams front office too make more money saving moves for the team than should be needed.

Saw a basketball once

A solution to the financial mess all the NBA teams are in, would be to assess a luxury tax on any contract over $10 mil per year. The tax should be 2.5 times the amount over $10 mil.

Local High School Star Bulls_Fan20's Avatar

Post Re: Long term SG solution must be addressed

A solution to the financial mess all the NBA teams are in, would be to assess a luxury tax on any contract over $10 mil per year. The tax should be 2.5 times the amount over $10 mil.
    The players union would never agree to that...ever. Part of it is agents, part of it is player greed, but a bigger part is idiot GMs handing out contracts to players that haven't earned it. Then someone comes along who does deserve the money and they try to use the previous bad contract as a basis for theirs. Overspending simply for the sake of spending money (Rashard Lewis, Boozer, Ben Gordon, Turkoglu, Joe Johnson...among others) hurts every team and every player because it widens the gap between the two sides before negotiations even begin.

Also, if Boozer isn't traded before the 13/14 season, he will most certainly be amnestied. They won't keep him around and risk losing Taj.

And now Lee might be gone...

Smile, you're on ISH Crystallas's Avatar

Good. Lee is not a long term solution for this team. The last thing I want to see is tying up more money in a Boozer-like solution(over-hyped by fans, but in all actuality, doesn't fit this team, despite the fans begging and pleading.)