Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast
    I rule the local playground

Quote Originally Posted by MaxFly
    Yes, I believe he was myopic in his assessment... I'm not surprised that you're just getting that (though I've been saying it for some time)
    the reason why i *just* got to that is b/c you led me to that point. i still hold to my original assertion that it was due to envy

Quote Originally Posted by asd
    Do you know how much NBA revenue has increased since stern became commissioner in 1984? Think about how much NBA players earn compared to non-athletes, such as your parents, and you're telling me that Stern should be fired? Currently, games are being televised on ABC, ESPN, and TNT across the entire nation, and internationally, too, and you're telling me that Stern should be fired? Stern is a legend in the business world and a vanguard of the NBA because of his work since 1984, and you're saying that he should be fired? Are you smoking crack?

:stupid:

You know there was this guy Michael Jordan, and he was pretty good, so I think it's safe to assume HE was the reason for the increase in revenue. Not dumbass Stern

using the #s of users as a barometer of success, which is presently the standard for web apps/sites....comparing the number of broadcast's users and the number of youtube's users, broadcast was a failure, especially at the price that Yahoo paid for it...no if, and, or but

Quote Originally Posted by BradMiller52
    :stupid:

You know there was this guy Michael Jordan, and he was pretty good, so I think it's safe to assume HE was the reason for the increase in revenue. Not dumbass Stern
    Stern did ride his coattails, and I never said he didn't, but Stern has been a part of the overall management and viability of the NBA in the sports world

-new ball
    -dress code
    whatever else you have to add is of little matter...he should NOT be fired

I will give Stern a lot of the credit for the NBA's popularity. He did heavily promote the individual player in the NBA and it helps a lot.

Exactly! A LONG TIME AGO. With that in mind, factoring inflation, the thought of purchasing the dominant position in the online, video market for over $5bil is even more unfathomable after Google purchased the lead position in the market for just $1.65 Bil, many, many years later.
    You're forgetting to factor in the benefits that having Launch for so many years afforded Yahoo! over the course of those years.

Now it's likely that some new technology or service will start up in a few years and sell at a price lower than YouTube, but will give the purchaser control over online video. There is still room for improvement... Better compression, smaller file sizes, better download and upload options, options for better video streaming and broadband management to and on portable handheld devices... It would be stupid to go back and say "Well Google really got fooled when they bough YouTube. This new technology has taken over and they were bought for much less." That's the nature of business and techology. Better technology arrives and takes the place of old technology. In the meantime, it's just smart business to take advantage of the available technologies. Launch had and is having a nice run. Without it, Yahoo! wouldn't have done as well as they have.

if you were not the one who said that cuban should be commissioner, fine, but someone did. to me, this is a messageboard, and that I find your pseudo-identities inconsequential and of little concern
    I just want to make sure that you understand that you were wrong in thinking that I supported Cuban as GM and if you were actually paying attention, you would not have made that mistake. When you're responding to the posts of many people on a messageboard, it pays to actually keep the arguments straight and know who is arguing what. When you don't, you get confused as you've demonstrated.

i don't know if you know this, but when you have MILLIONS of users pouring into your site each and every single day, you don't need to be too concerned with your long-term business plan...eventually, money will pour in...they knew that the $11 Mil would be chump change
    And that's why I said "they did a masterful job enticing companies to buy them. Their technology is fantastic."

If you're going to debate this, you need to read through the posts more carefully.

You're forgetting to factor in the benefits that having Launch for so many years afforded Yahoo! over the course of those years.

I can pull up the numbers on Yahoo's profits. As I already said, the crux of the revenue comes from news, search and email, so it is reasonable to say much of that time, which you constantly mention, was spent reaching the breakeven point (over $5 Bil, if you forgot)
    Last edited by asd; 11-02-2006 at 03:10 AM.

NBA Superstar

Stern didn't seriously want to increase the height o the basket

he simply was looking for a way keep little people in the game

he went and asked a knowledgeable person before making any decisions

that is what good leaders do

IMO that is good management

I don't agree with everything Stern does (duh) but this was handled properly

using the #s of users as a barometer of success, which is presently the standard for web apps/sites....comparing the number of broadcast's users and the number of youtube's users, broadcast was a failure, especially at the price that Yahoo paid for it...no if, and, or but
    Again, you're displaying a myopic assessment of the company, perhaps even more so than Cuban's assessment of youtube. You can't compare broadcast's users in the past to youtube users now... There are a number of factors involved... one being that the number of people with high speed broadband in the past is miniscule to the number of users now. Add to that the fact that online video was still relatively new and that Yahoo! Launch hasn't updated the technology and you begin to get a more accurate picture. For what it was... a service that distributed video online (and innovation at the time), it did what was expected of it, and it was very successful.

And that's why I said "they did a masterful job enticing companies to buy them. Their technology is fantastic."

If you're going to debate this, you need to read through the posts more carefully.
    i don't know if you remember what you wrote prior to that, but you attempted to discredit youtube's success by mentioning its spending of venture capital in a weak attempt to prove broadcast's success...

Prior to the advent of youtube, which is only a little over a year old, Launch was the place for online music videos. YouTube has taken over, and rightfully so, because of how useable it is, but YouTube has been burning through venture capital and really hasn't been making money. Not too long ago, when it came to video, not only didn't YouTube come close, it didn't exist. It makes no sense to wait for a technology that you don't know will come into existence, and even though hindsight is 20/20, Yahoo! would still buy broadcast.com for the benefits it has provided Yahoo! (in the form of Yahoo! Launch) over the years. It's just smart business. The benefits Launch has provided Yahoo far outweight the price of broadcast.com as well as the drawback of buying YouTube now and not having Launch for all those years.
    hey, it's understandable. it's getting late. you can forget things....
    Last edited by asd; 11-02-2006 at 03:11 AM.

Again, you're displaying a myopic assessment of the company, perhaps even more so than Cuban's assessment of youtube. You can't compare broadcast's users in the past to youtube users now... There are a number of factors involved... one being that the number of people with high speed broadband in the past is miniscule to the number of users now. Add to that the fact that online video was still relatively new and that Yahoo! Launch hasn't updated the technology and you begin to get a more accurate picture. For what it was... a service that distributed video online (and innovation at the time), it did what was expected of it, and it was very successful.
    myopic? after comparing the number users and estimating the amount of time that it took yahoo to make the $5 Bil back, just to get back to neutral, the product fell short...

what else is there to review?

I can pull up the numbers on Yahoo's profits. As I already said, the crux of the revenue comes from news and email, so it is reasonable to say much of that time, which you constantly mention, was spent reaching the breakeven point (over $5 Bil, if you forgot)
    And it's reasonable to assume that they've passed the breakeven point. You also have to take into account the Launch users who may have been directed to or became interested in other Yahoo applications and those who were familiar with Yahoo but became more active because of Launch...

And it's reasonable to assume that they've passed the breakeven point.
    and it probably took a considerable amount of time. the kind of time that you were so adamant in mentioning when you said attempted to prove broadcast's success by stressing that it was first to market...

You also have to take into account the Launch users who may have been directed to or became interested in other Yahoo applications and those who were familiar with Yahoo but became more active because of Launch...
    please. it's the other way around