View Single Post
Old 05-28-2009, 01:57 PM   #52
intrinsic
Local High School Star

Default Re: National Sales Tax under consideration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meticode
I do what I can you know? I wish sometimes I had more time, but I don't. Between raising a child, spending the time I need with my wife, and working on top of that I volunteer for Special Olympics. I coach 2 times a week. I've been a part of this organization voluntarily for 3 years and I know all too well about not getting helped by the government financially. Without our own fundraisers a lot of these kids and adults wouldn't have Special Olympics without the people who volunteer and run these things. I understand where you're coming from, but there's only so much I can do with my allotted time. Before I had my daughter I had to take time away from Special Olympics (becuase I was coaching 4 times a week during the summer) and spend that time more so on my job and now new daughter. I don't want to be one of those fathers who feel they only way they feel like a dad is to support them financially. I want to be there for her to as she grows.

That didn't really come across the way it was intended. I wasn't trying to blast you for your participation in the community. Sorry.

Instead, I was commenting on your willingness to pay more money out of your pocket for these government programs (art) which suffer horribly from a lack of interest. There are more deserving, and dedicated, people in need of materials, cash, or volunteers all across the country. They aren't hard to find if you'd like to get involved. Not saying that you're neglecting some social responsibility if you don't involve yourself here. But it concerns me when someone will settle for the bare minimum provided by the govt. while agreeing to pay even more (note: I agree with many of your other points in this thread such as individual accountability)

To build on this point, do you remember the Music draft that went on in the OTC? That was a nice exposure to music, by a group of passionate individuals, for a message board that believes 2pac, The Beatles, and Nas are the biggest influences on music and culture in the last century.

Last edited by intrinsic : 05-28-2009 at 01:59 PM.
intrinsic is offline   Reply With Quote