Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Statman32s trip to the Las Vegas Summer League.

Probably the most fun time I have ever had at a sporting event. Saw 5 games, numerous NBA players, tons of former NBA players and a bunch of front office personnel. I recommend making a trip out to Vegas every year for this sumer league. You can get a all day pass for $20 bucks and watch the games, get drunk from anywhere you want to sit.

__________________________________________________ _______________

Now I'll go over each game I saw and the top 5 players for each team IMO. I missed the Nuggets/Bucks game and only saw half of the Suns/Spurs and Philly/Raptors games.

Right now I'll start with the Pistons.

Top 5 Pistons players:

1. Aaron Affalo- Was probably the best perimeter defender I saw all day. He was really hustling out there and wouldn't give his opponent a inch. Struggled with his shot but was doing a good job dishing it off.

2. Walter Sharpe- Every time he went to the bench he was the only guy sitting between all the coaches. You can tell they really have something invested in this kid because they were giving him a lot of individual coaching. Has nice length and skills but seems pretty raw. Was very aggressive.

3. Amir Johnson- More athletic than I thought. At first I didnt even really recognize him out there. Was a beast on the boards but he looks lost on the defensive end. Tended to play more outside on offense that I think he should have against the weak interior defense of the Mavs. Still very raw which is surprising considering hes been in the league 3 years.

4. Will Bynum- I was excited to see him play and he didnt disappoint. On the roster it said he was 6 foot but he looked a couple inches shorter than that. Has great speed but struggles finishing in traffic. Knocked down a lot of open jumpers but struggled to create a jumper for himself. His defenders were too lengthy for him and I think thats what hurts his chances of making it in the league. Still a very exciting player.

5. Cheikh Samb- Watched him in warm-ups and he looked very awkward. Needs to put on about 30 pounds to be taken seriously. Played just as awkward as he looked when he played in the paint. Did have a very nice jumper and he even took a technical foul shot for the Pistons. Even though hes awkward he still has the length to contest shots and get his hands on balls.

__________________________________________________ _______________

Before I move on to the Mavericks I'll post some pictures I took. I forgot to bring my camera so I had to use my cell phone and some of them arent even worth showing. Still have to show must of them anyways so people can get a idea of what you will experience if you go to the SL.

Terry Porter and Greg Popovich:

Suns/Spurs game:

DJ Strawberry driving it:

Alvin Gentry/Robert Sarver/Piece of Steve Kerrs head:

Derrick Low about to score on Gerald Green:

JR Smith:

Robin Lopez:

DJ Strawberry and the Suns bench:

Last edited by insidehoops; 07-19-2008 at 02:22 PM.

An uglier Lamar Doom boozehound's Avatar

Default Re: Statman32s trip to the Las Vegas Summer League.

hey man, thanks for the excellent thread. glad you had a great time.

see I knew you liked JR!!

JR Smith FTW!!

This thread makes me hate you less. Good stuff.

Future D1 Dad

cool pics you lucky bastard.

Thanks everyone!

Anyways I'll move on to the Mavericks.

Top 5 Mavericks players:

1. Shan Foster- Very fluid shooter and I came out very impressed with him. Didnt try to do too much and played great team ball. I think he was one of the more NBA ready players that got drafted low and IMO he could contribute a good 5-10 minutes a game as a 3 point shooter that wouldnt disrupt the teams ball movement like a lot of other young players would. The Mavs need to sign this guy if they havent already.

2. Gerald Green- During warm-ups he looked like a man among boys. Was draining shot after shot but he wasnt really participating with the rest of the team. Didnt start the game and came in only to play a lot of 1 on 1 ball without any real aggression. He had some nice moves and was the most skilled player out there but doesnt seem like a real team player which has been the knock on him his whole career. It seems like he needs some sort of mentor b/c it looked like he thought he was above playing with these guys which is very untrue. If he ever gets his mind together he could be a very good player but I dont see that happening. Very disappointing b/c I've always been on his little bandwagon.

3. James Singleton- Very active out there and seemed to be a decent shooter. Doesnt have a lot of skills but he has a NBA body that will help him contribute as a energy guy on a team. He was really aggressive on the boards.

4. Reyshawn Terry- Very active on the boards and showed a lot of aggression on the defensive end. Looked lost at times on offense and when he did get the ball he was out of control.

5. Keith McLeod- Most of the time he looked lousy on offense. His shot is pretty bad but he did play great defense out there. Was very aggressive on that end getting up in peoples faces and getting in passing lanes.

Did you watch Philly play at all?

Quote Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
    Did you watch Philly play at all?
    I watched most of the 2nd half of that game but missed the 1st half b/c I was watching the 1st half of the Suns/Spurs game in the other arena. I'll move on to them when I have time but I'm getting ready to go see Batman right now.

Quote Originally Posted by highwhey
    This thread makes me hate you less. Good stuff.
    second

Nice trip Statman32

shhhhhhh

nice pics stat. those blackberrys do nice job.. so it looks like with the crowd you must have had some good seats available?

btw, where's the upskirts? i know you got some dog...lol

BlogOFfatman
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Thanks for Mavs report.

Quote Originally Posted by gts
    nice pics stat. those blackberrys do nice job.. so it looks like with the crowd you must have had some good seats available?

btw, where's the upskirts? i know you got some dog...lol
    Yep. You could sit pretty much anywhere you wanted. (Besides courtside which costs $100 and isnt worth it). Most of the time I sat in the 3rd row, halfcourt because if you sit any lower than that people walk in front of you.

Dont have any upskirts for you guys. But I had to take some bball pics for my fellow ISHers. I wish I would have brought my digital camera though.

Damn, 20 bucks for a whole day pass sounds pretty good. How did DJ and Alando look out there? I'm especially interested in Strawberry's D

lucky dude