Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Local High School Star Aussie Dunker's Avatar

Default Re: Who should Pistons draft in 2013 NBA Draft?

Now I really want Trey Burke! haha, he played great in the championship game - I think his stock is going to jump...

NBA lottery pick

He definitely will be a lottery pick now. I don't think his stock is higher than Marcus Smart's. I wouldn't mind Trey Burke though. He looks like he'll be good. His size scares me.

Good college starter

I like Burke, but if the Pistons keep Knight at SG then the backcourt is going to be undersize. Burke is 6'0 and Knight is 6'3. They aren't exactly the 2nd coming of Isiahh Thomas and Joe Dumars lol.

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by idizzle
    I like Burke, but if the Pistons keep Knight at SG then the backcourt is going to be undersize. Burke is 6'0 and Knight is 6'3. They aren't exactly the 2nd coming of Isiahh Thomas and Joe Dumars lol.
    Absolutely. I guess I should've expanded what I was thinking. Knight would be the new 6th man since Stuckey is probably going somewhere else. I think if Knight was going to be the PG of the future they wouldn't have traded for Calderon, publicly stated that they want to resign him, and tried to sell the public on Knight being a SG. Joe D seems to think undersized backcourts are ok, since him & Isiah got it done back in the day. Unfortunately, we don't have two future Hall Of Famers at those positions so it's just not going to work the same. Plus we don't have the bench to make up for it either. If we go into the season with Knight and Calderon as our starting guards management should really start thinking about Joe Dumars role with the Pistons.

Good college starter

@dd4, Exactly.

I highly doubt Caldreon is going to re-sign with the Pistons. He's 31 and and he sai that he's looking to play with a contender like the Mavs.

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by idizzle
    @dd4, Exactly.

I highly doubt Caldreon is going to re-sign with the Pistons. He's 31 and and he sai that he's looking to play with a contender like the Mavs.
    I'd like to see him on the Mavs. They need a PG. It makes sense as they will have cap space as well.

There's mock drafts that have Smart dropping to us. I think the Bobcats would be stupid to not draft Nerlens Noel if they have the opportunity. They need a big man bad.

Cleveland is probably going to end up drafting before us. They already drafted a PG in Irving, a SG and C last year in Waiters and Zeller, and they drafted a PF in Thompson. Unless they seem to think Bennett can play SF (which nobody does) they're going to draft Porter if they get the chance.

Orlando would likely draft McLemore in that scenario. I could see them taking a chance on Smart, but with McLemore there it wouldn't make sense.

I don't know why Phoenix would draft another PG. They already have a couple of them, so I would think they would go big. If Porter is there they could draft him. I could definitely see them going after Bennett or Len. Nonetheless, it's another team that could be ahead of us that would draft Porter.

Of course all this is based on records since the ping-pong balls haven't fallen yet, but it really doesn't look like we have a chance at Porter unless we somehow move up a few spots. However, it does look like a player like Smart could fall to us. In which case, Knight would still need to eventually be a 6th man...... As bad as it sounds PG might be the best position to draft. Unless we have a guy like McLemore fall to us it doesn't make sense to draft SG. There's not another impact SF in the top 5..... Shabazz I'm a little scared about right now. He really doesn't have a position in the NBA either. He's a tweener for SG & SF.

NBA lottery pick

It's starting to look like Tim Hardaway Jr. could possibly fall to the 2nd round. I'd take a chance on him in round 2. Deshaun Thomas out of Ohio State should be there. Adreian Payne of MSU could too. There's a good chance we could end up with a Big 10 guy, lol.

I'll pass on Russ Smith out of Louisville. He's listed as a PG but he didn't play it.... Siva was the point. But at 6'0" all he can be listed as is a PG. I don't want anything to do with him.

NBA lottery pick

Well, there's no chance of getting Marcus Smart now.... he's staying in college for another season for some crazy reason. It doesn't make much sense for a guy who was predicted to be in the top 3 picks in the draft to stay. That typically hasn't helped anybody in the past. Also, James McAdoo is staying at UNC. He would've been picked somewhere after 20. I can see why he would stay because he didn't have the season he should have and was supposed to be a top 10 pick in the preseason. If he plays well next season he could bring his status back up.

Nonetheless it looks like we'll be drafting where we have been the last few seasons........ I'm so bummed out about that. This season was the season I was hoping to actually get a top pick and turn things around. We have our front line. We could really use a back court player. I guess I'm hoping a guy like Shabazz falls to us now. Maybe Trey Burke will, but he could very well be a top 5 pick. He is the best PG in the draft and that is the most important position in the NBA. I guess we have to hope for a blockbuster trade.

NBA lottery pick

This draft class just got even weaker... Michigan's Mitch McGary and Glenn Robinson III are going to return to the Wolverines next year. It looks like the Big 10 will be stacked again as Indiana has a good class coming in, MSU does as well and Harris is staying there, and now Michigan has two of it's key pieces returning.

Michigan freshmen Mitch McGary and Glenn Robinson III will return to school, sources told CBSSports.com.

The pair will make an official announcement Thursday at 4:30 p.m. ET.

Both players were considered first-rounders, according to several NBA executives. The 6-foot-10 McGary was terrific in the NCAA tournament after playing sparingly for much of the season. Robinson was also up and down through his freshman campaign, but NBA general managers still love his potential.

McGary averaged 7.5 points and 6.3 rebounds this season, playing fewer than 20 minutes per game. During the tournament, though, McGary put up 14.3 points and 10.7 rebounds. Robinson averaged 11.0 points and 5.4 boards.

Michigan lost Trey Burke and Tim Hardaway Jr., early to the NBA, but the Wolverines -- who lost to Louisville in the national title game -- will return McGary, Robinson, Nik Stauskas, veteran big man Jordan Morgan and point guard Spike Albrecht.

NBA lottery pick

This draft keeps getting weaker and weaker. I'm really suprised at the number of guys who have decided to stay. McDermott is playing his senior season now. So is Russ Smith. Neither of which would have been on the Pistons radar, but it does make others who may have been move up a few spots to teams that may now snag them. People are starting to project quite a few Europeans to get selected in the 1st round now. Possibly up to 6.

If we draft 7th we don't have a chance at Otto Porter or Trey Burke. They're off the list now. McLemore will definitely be in the top 4 picks too.

I'm looking at guys like Muhammad, Williams-Carter, and even Adetokoubo. Theres now a lot of mock drafts that have us selecting Cody Zeller just because he's the best available at where we'll be picking. Granted we would have an awesome front line, but that would still make us really weak outside.

It may be worth while to look into moving down a few picks even. If we could package our two 2nd round picks and move into the first round that might be better to get a servicable player. Those 2nd round picks are basically worthless. We have the cap space to give a 1st round pick a contract (since it's guaranteed) and take the gamble they turn into something decent. There may be a team that doesn't have much cap space that would be willing to give up a later 1st round pick for two 2nd rounders that they won't have to pay as much or they can just cut. Maybe we could take a gamble on a guy like DeShaun Thomas in the late first round if we moved up from the 2nd. Him and a guy like Muhammad or Carter-Williams would be a pretty good draft.

alternick = loser :D veilside23's Avatar

hardway jr will be the starting sg for you guys in the future .. i just think that because of his size and shooting he will be able to put up a decent starter numbers... not all star maybe but quality numbers ...

Decent college freshman

Starting to think Jamaal Franklin could be an option at 7 or 8. Oladipo is who I really want in the end, though I do love Mclemore too. Oladipo's motor, defense and athleticism are just what this team needs.

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by Nastradamus
    Starting to think Jamaal Franklin could be an option at 7 or 8. Oladipo is who I really want in the end, though I do love Mclemore too. Oladipo's motor, defense and athleticism are just what this team needs.
    I'm still really unsure what Oladipo is going to be able to do at the next level. It's not like he's an immediate upgrade over Stuckey. Right now I'm thinking more along the lines of drafting the best available player, regardless of the position they play. If Zeller is there we would really have to think about it. At least he would probably be a good trading piece packaged with someone else. I'm ready for the draft lottery tomorrow.... I want to know where we're drafting for certain.

NBA lottery pick

The more I keep reading about potential players in this draft it's really looking thin at the guard positions. A lot of people think we might go after CJ McCollum. I'm not really sure how I feel about another combo guard. We know Joe D loves them though.

The first round is actually very deep for bigs. Noel, Len, Zeller, Olynyk, Plumlee, Dieng, Gobert, Noguiera, Withee, and Adams will all more than likely go in the first round. People are saying Steven Adams is the best C of the bunch now. I've even read where people are saying he's one of the few guys in this draft that will be an all-star. They're saying he could make it into the lottery now. Zeller has been very impressive lately too. Before the season he was considered the #1 pick in the draft. I see him going higher than people have been thinking lately. He's bigger than people realized, faster, and more athletic.

I think the Pistons must be trying to work on a trade if we end up with #7 tomorrow. I could see them packaging both of our 2nd rounders to try to get another late first round pick. I'd really like to make a run at drafting Glen Rice Jr. He seems like he could be the best SG in the draft potentially, even over McLemore. He's moving up the draft boards too.

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by dd24
    I'm still really unsure what Oladipo is going to be able to do at the next level. It's not like he's an immediate upgrade over Stuckey. Right now I'm thinking more along the lines of drafting the best available player, regardless of the position they play. If Zeller is there we would really have to think about it. At least he would probably be a good trading piece packaged with someone else. I'm ready for the draft lottery tomorrow.... I want to know where we're drafting for certain.
    I'm much less certain what Zeller will be able to do at this level than I am with Oladipo. As someone said recently, he's one of the few guys in this draft you know won't get you fired. I think his floor is Tony Allen, his ceiling somewhere between Iggy and Wade.

I don't see us landing a Lebron/Durant any time soon, so I think a great way to be able to compete with superstars like that is to be able to defend them, as well as attack the weaknesses of their teams. Drummond helps with both and Oladipo would be a huge help with the former. We need defense, athleticism and effort and he brings all of it. I think he's a huge upgrade over Stuckey, especially 2013 Stuckey. Calderon,Knight,Oladipo would be a very good backcourt IMO, with a very diverse skillset. THey all complement each other very well. You have a good mix of shooting, passing and defense.