Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Learning to shoot layups

Default What will get me over that hump so I can consistently dunk?

There is this quadruple rim(It is a double rim with a flat plat under it for holding a net, which extends to the length of another double rim) at a park I always go to, to shoot around, play pickup games and such. It is the only rim that is of regulation height, and I can easily dunk on all the other rims, even do tricks and such. What makes me mad is to dunk on the quadruple rims I have to be having one of those days where I just jump higher. It's odd, it seems that only after resting for 3-4 days that I am able to dunk it on those rims. The dunks I do are nice clean ones too, border-line tomahawks, but I'm not really bringing it back. Then when I start playing basketball 5 or more days in a row, no matter how many times I try I just can't flush it on these rims. Is it more difficult to dunk it on these? Should I just rest more?

I rule the local playground Birmingham1955's Avatar

Default Re: What will get me over that hump so I can consistently dunk?

Quote Originally Posted by Permodius
    There is this quadruple rim(It is a double rim with a flat plat under it for holding a net, which extends to the length of another double rim) at a park I always go to, to shoot around, play pickup games and such. It is the only rim that is of regulation height, and I can easily dunk on all the other rims, even do tricks and such. What makes me mad is to dunk on the quadruple rims I have to be having one of those days where I just jump higher. It's odd, it seems that only after resting for 3-4 days that I am able to dunk it on those rims. The dunks I do are nice clean ones too, border-line tomahawks, but I'm not really bringing it back. Then when I start playing basketball 5 or more days in a row, no matter how many times I try I just can't flush it on these rims. Is it more difficult to dunk it on these? Should I just rest more?
    You need to increase your vertical. From your description you get about 7-8 incehs over the rim. You need a minimum of 5 inches without ball to dunk it with ball, but it won't be consistent.

You need to increase your vertical that is really all that you can do, to be able to do it consistently.

You need to be more than 5 inches. I was getting exactly 5 inches over the rim at my peak and there was no way I was putting in a dunk at any time. Even an oop I wouldn't have been able to put in with anything less than a perfect pass and it would have been more of a tap in than a dunk.Based off of what I have seen, 7-8 Inches is what you need to put it in off an oop on a mildly consistent basis... 10 is somewhat consistent, and 12+ you can probably do it 9 times out of 10. If you can touch 11 feet, you can catch an oop and finish easy.

To put in a dunk with a ball in your hand, 7-8 will be a rare dunk(You will get hung more often), 10 will be average consistency (You will put it off back rim a lot), and 12 will be good consistency. Pretty much, 11 feet is the magic number. So for me, I know 41 inches is my magic number.

To answer the OP's question, yes rest definitely helps. 2 days rest seems to be my magic number, and during the day you are going to play, if you just lay around day and just chill, you will probably have a good jumping day. I know for me that was the case. I was doing VJB and my last workout had been Thursday. I rested on Friday/Saturday and then on Sunday I sat around the house and watched Football all day. Sunday night, I went to the park and was jumping higher than I ever had in my life. Part of that was because my vertical was increasing from the VJB, but the next day, I couldn't get as high as I did the previous night... So yes rest definitely plays a factor. My friend just did the exact same thing as I did and got the same results... He had a great jumping night on Saturday after resting for Thurs/Fri and then just laying around all day chillin (He had a bad jumping night on Wednesday after he had played 3 days in a row).
    Last edited by Swaggin916; 08-23-2010 at 02:38 PM.

I rule the local playground Birmingham1955's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Swaggin916
    You need to be more than 5 inches. I was getting exactly 5 inches over the rim at my peak and there was no way I was putting in a dunk at any time. Even an oop I wouldn't have been able to put in with anything less than a perfect pass and it would have been more of a tap in than a dunk.Based off of what I have seen, 7-8 Inches is what you need to put it in off an oop on a mildly consistent basis... 10 is somewhat consistent, and 12+ you can probably do it 9 times out of 10. If you can touch 11 feet, you can catch an oop and finish easy.

To put in a dunk with a ball in your hand, 7-8 will be a rare dunk(You will get hung more often), 10 will be average consistency (You will put it off back rim a lot), and 12 will be good consistency. Pretty much, 11 feet is the magic number. So for me, I know 41 inches is my magic number.

To answer the OP's question, yes rest definitely helps. 2 days rest seems to be my magic number, and during the day you are going to play, if you just lay around day and just chill, you will probably have a good jumping day. I know for me that was the case. I was doing VJB and my last workout had been Thursday. I rested on Friday/Saturday and then on Sunday I sat around the house and watched Football all day. Sunday night, I went to the park and was jumping higher than I ever had in my life. Part of that was because my vertical was increasing from the VJB, but the next day, I couldn't get as high as I did the previous night... So yes rest definitely plays a factor. My friend just did the exact same thing as I did and got the same results... He had a great jumping night on Saturday after resting for Thurs/Fri and then just laying around all day chillin (He had a bad jumping night on Wednesday after he had played 3 days in a row).
    really so guys who can dunk consistently can reach an entire foot over rim. i didnt know it was that high

Quote Originally Posted by Birmingham1955
    really so guys who can dunk consistently can reach an entire foot over rim. i didnt know it was that high
    Yea anybody you see legitimately throwing it down is up around that high without the ball... with the ball who knows how high they are getting... but it's probably a 2-3 inch decrease with a ball in your hand... that's my guesstimate... so if they are touching 11 feet without the ball they would be hitting 10'9-10'10 or so with a ball and yea that would be a dunk every time with 9-10 inches over the rim. Dunking in game is another story too. Many guys can throw it down pretty good in practice but in a game they don't seem to get good jumps. It happens all the time.

NBA Superstar

Just for the sake of throwing out personal experiences, my peak reach has usually hovered between 10'8'' and 10'10'' and I'm a pretty consistant game dunker. I'm not cramming on people in traffic every game, but with an opening, I can flush with confidence. So I say, Swaggin is mostly on the money, but I thought it'd be good to know that dunking can be functional and consistant if you're below that 11 foot mark. He is right in the fact that I cannot complete alley oops, but there's other factors that can help someone become a solid dunker with a lower reach. One of those factors (one I cannot claim) is large hands. If you can palm a rock (I can't) you'll be able to dunk with a slightly lower vert.

Overall, 10'7'' sounds like a pretty good goal.

For Swaggin and anyone else to respond...
    1. Do you like lunges as a way to increase vertical/ leg strength
    2. Do you like 1 foot squats

Learning to shoot layups

Thanks to all you guys who responded to me in this topic. All the answers were really in depth. Rake2204, you are right about your claim that palming the balm can help you dunk consistently. If a ball has good grip I can flush it 100% of the time, and even through it pretty hard. It makes no sense because it looks like I get much higher this way. The reason I rather dunk regurlarly is because I travel through this method, this is because if I take a dribble before taking off the ball will slip out of my hand. The only instance that I would be able to dunk in game is if the ball hads REALLY good grip. Grip so good that I can just take off after a dribble. And Swaggin916, I think you are the best poster on this board. Not only do you answer all the questions you can, but you give very in depth answers. Answers that come from experience. I've made another topic where you answered it very nicely, and I appreciate what you do around here. Also thanks you too Birmingham1955, not only for the good answer, but for a quick response.

Quote Originally Posted by Permodius
    Thanks to all you guys who responded to me in this topic. All the answers were really in depth. Rake2204, you are right about your claim that palming the balm can help you dunk consistently. If a ball has good grip I can flush it 100% of the time, and even through it pretty hard. It makes no sense because it looks like I get much higher this way. The reason I rather dunk regurlarly is because I travel through this method, this is because if I take a dribble before taking off the ball will slip out of my hand. The only instance that I would be able to dunk in game is if the ball hads REALLY good grip. Grip so good that I can just take off after a dribble. And Swaggin916, I think you are the best poster on this board. Not only do you answer all the questions you can, but you give very in depth answers. Answers that come from experience. I've made another topic where you answered it very nicely, and I appreciate what you do around here. Also thanks you too Birmingham1955, not only for the good answer, but for a quick response.

Right now I live to answer questions and try to help people reach their goals... So yea it's all good.
    Definitely grip has a whole lot to do with it... I forgot to mention that. If you have Rondo like hands, you can probably flush it every time 8" above the rim... but most guys aren't like that. Most guys are like us and can't palm a ball regularly. Even if you can palm it, unless you have a like a death grip on it then losing control of it can happen rather easily.

1. Do you like lunges as a way to increase vertical/ leg strength
    2. Do you like 1 foot squats
    Yes I like both of those. One leg squats are fantastic for increasing vert, and many times, your body weight is enough. Do sets of 5-6.

Switching Lunges are great as well (may be a little hard on the knees tho). Regular old lunges with body weight won't do a whole lot for you, but if you jump and do them, it's a great plyometric exercise. Sets of 8 or so per leg are good.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Swaggin916
    Yes I like both of those. One leg squats are fantastic for increasing vert, and many times, your body weight is enough. Do sets of 5-6.

Switching Lunges are great as well (may be a little hard on the knees tho). Regular old lunges with body weight won't do a whole lot for you, but if you jump and do them, it's a great plyometric exercise. Sets of 8 or so per leg are good.
    Alright, quick question. What are we talking about with one-legged squats? Sounds intriguing.

Second, I too, like rolling with the jump lunges. To help avoid knee problems I like warming my legs up prior to this exercise through jumping rope, skipping, some other kind of light-on-the-body jumping.

This is a good question for me as well.

I am trying to make the transition to being a 1 leg dunker. I just need to get the technique down. Does stuff like hurdle jumps help with getting better at 1 leg jumps

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by MannyO
    This is a good question for me as well.

I am trying to make the transition to being a 1 leg dunker. I just need to get the technique down. Does stuff like hurdle jumps help with getting better at 1 leg jumps
    I personally did not use hurdle jumps when re-developing my one leg jumps but it sounds like a great idea. The best thing I did to force my way back into being a one-leg dunker was to try dunking off one foot. . .a lot. It felt uncomfortable and hopeless at first, but I found even repititions where I practiced jumping high on the rim (even without a ball) was beneficial.

Believe it or not, the real breakthrough moment with my one-foot dunking came with a girls basketball. I think having a smaller ball allowed me to perfect my one-foot jumping technique without worrying so much about handling a large orb at the same time. After I got things down with the 28.5, it was a seamless transition from there. It's been magical ever since.

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    I personally did not use hurdle jumps when re-developing my one leg jumps but it sounds like a great idea. The best thing I did to force my way back into being a one-leg dunker was to try dunking off one foot. . .a lot. It felt uncomfortable and hopeless at first, but I found even repititions where I practiced jumping high on the rim (even without a ball) was beneficial.

Believe it or not, the real breakthrough moment with my one-foot dunking came with a girls basketball. I think having a smaller ball allowed me to perfect my one-foot jumping technique without worrying so much about handling a large orb at the same time. After I got things down with the 28.5, it was a seamless transition from there. It's been magical ever since.

thats cool im gunna try that, my downfall is that im only 5'11 so it takes more vertical to get up there especially with 1 leg. I have dunked a few times with 2 legs nothing big, and I almost threw 1 down off 1 leg. In fact there was a time that I was getting up high off 1 leg idk how but I was just getting up there with ease but the next day I couldn't do it maybe because I wasn't using the same mechanics or something.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by MannyO
    thats cool im gunna try that, my downfall is that im only 5'11 so it takes more vertical to get up there especially with 1 leg. I have dunked a few times with 2 legs nothing big, and I almost threw 1 down off 1 leg. In fact there was a time that I was getting up high off 1 leg idk how but I was just getting up there with ease but the next day I couldn't do it maybe because I wasn't using the same mechanics or something.
    I think we all have those days, where it feels like we're floating and soaring higher than ever. Then tomorrow arrives, our hops return to normal and we rack our brains trying to figure out the variable leading to yesterday's exploits.

I'll throw another element out there: stretching every day. I don't know if it helps but I always figured it couldn't hurt. My flexibility has certainly been beneficial to my overall basketball skill. Plus it seems like something that might help at least the teeny bit when it comes to rising up.

I'd also encourage watching this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czwYS6feqEQ

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    I think we all have those days, where it feels like we're floating and soaring higher than ever. Then tomorrow arrives, our hops return to normal and we rack our brains trying to figure out the variable leading to yesterday's exploits.

I'll throw another element out there: stretching every day. I don't know if it helps but I always figured it couldn't hurt. My flexibility has certainly been beneficial to my overall basketball skill. Plus it seems like something that might help at least the teeny bit when it comes to rising up.

I'd also encourage watching this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czwYS6feqEQ
    yea Ive watched that vid a couple hundred times lol. I need to stretch alot like u said but sometimes I just forget. Also I need to work on jumping off 1 leg alot and trying to master the technique, even start doing sprints to make sure my legs are working well.