Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Job Interview

Default Job Interview

I have my first ever job interview for a sports marketing company at 2:30 and I am nervous as hell. I don't really have any experience in the workplace except for a seafood joint that I worked at for 6 months. Wouldn't even call that work though because I did absolutely nothing while I was there

I know the basics of how I should handle myself, try to be confident, dress well, sit straight, make eye contact and stuff. Any other tips that you guys can recommend would be great.

Default Re: Job Interview

Quote Originally Posted by Wavves
    I have my first ever job interview for a sports marketing company at 2:30 and I am nervous as hell. I don't really have any experience in the workplace except for a seafood joint that I worked at for 6 months. Wouldn't even call that work though because I did absolutely nothing while I was there

I know the basics of how I should handle myself, try to be confident, dress well, sit straight, make eye contact and stuff. Any other tips that you guys can recommend would be great.
    Prepare good questions to ask them about their company. They will like that you have taken an interest and know a little about them.

Dress properly, try to at least act calm, ask them questions about their company and the work atmosphere.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSilentKiller
    Prepare good questions to ask them about their company. They will like that you have taken an interest and know a little about them.

Very good advice. Also just some basics:

1. Be nice to the receptionist.
    2. Eye contact.
    3. Turn your f[COLOR="Black"]u[/COLOR]cking phone off.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaspah
    Don't say doin your wife, don't say doin your wife, don't say doin your wife!

Doin your......son?
    If I get a similar question, I'll be sure to have the same response

Asking questions is a good one, never really thought of that before. Thanks guys.

Do they even have sports in Australia?

Quote Originally Posted by Raymone
    No, none.

Quote Originally Posted by Raymone
    What is this sports that you speak of?

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by TheSilentKiller
    This is probably the best advice.

i would also say try to influence the direction of the interview, but dont force it.
    I had one interview where the guys (it was a 2 on 1 interview) and me ended up talking about sports for half of it.

Alot of interviewing is about enduring yourself to your potential future employer. People want to work with people they like. Dont be afraid to let your personality shine through alittle, but don't force it. If it is obvious they have no interest in what you are interested in, just stay professional.

Be sure to talk about anything in the posting and on your resume.

Awesome, thanks heaps for the tips guys. Hopefully I'm not as nervous leading up to it.

It's completely normal to be nervous before an interview, especially before your first one. Interviewing is an acquired skill, you will get more comfortable and better at it as you progress in your career.
    Most everything listed here is good advice. Remember to stay professional. Don't joke too much, even if you want to show you're nice. I would actually recommend staying away from jokes altogether, but it's up to you. Be on time, even though you'll probably have to wait to be interviewed. Last, but not least, be honest. If they ask you something you don't know, be open about it while stating your willingness to learn anything required. Good luck!

Check this out, it might come in handy.

Quote Originally Posted by Lebowsky
    Check this out, it might come in handy.
    I've actually found that I do much better in interviews when I don't prepare for questions like that. It helps me be more candid and allows me to deliver the answers more conversationally instead of in a rehearsed fashion. Sometimes I get ****ed over with a question like "what are 5 words that describe you" and I look like I don't know the definition of more the 3 words but its still works out.

Quote Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
    I've actually found that I do much better in interviews when I don't prepare for questions like that. It helps me be more candid and allows me to deliver the answers more conversationally instead of in a rehearsed fashion. Sometimes I get ****ed over with a question like "what are 5 words that describe you" and I look like I don't know the definition of more the 3 words but its still works out.
    I'm the same way, I'm usually comfortable at interviews and don't like preparing them in advance too much. I thought that might help him, though.