Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Clippers and Wizards Had Trade Veto'd By Sterling At Deadline

Meh, would have been a neutral move, nothing to really see here.

Mozart Basketball no pun intended's Avatar

I don't think Caron would want to return to Washington lol.

Clipper Nation Soldier Clippersfan86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Clifton
    You're trading away a guy who needs the ball to be effective and getting back one who doesn't. It's addition by subtraction. It'd be like the Bucks trading Monta Ellis for ... a box of Krispy Kremes. They'd improve.

Except you'd be getting back a guy who can both stay in front of Durant and put a hand in his face, which you don't currently have (unless Grant Hill is somehow in way greater shape than he has any right to be at 40).
    Butler is having a low key efficient year on both ends of the floor. I agree he's more ball dominant but that's not automatically a bad thing. This year he's gotten a lot better about not firing up too many shots. Most of what he gets is catch and shoot on CP3 drives which is what he SHOULD be doing. Last year I got pissed a lot of times because I felt he was "ball hogging" this year I have yet to see that.

The Clippers could have overriden the veto if 2/3 of the players and 2/3 of middle management voted FOR the trade. Did they revote?

Wait....that might be something else.......

NBA sixth man of the year Levity's Avatar

ive watched both players this season. and yes, caron is having a better season statistically, but ariza's been hurt on and off all season. put him on the clippers, a team with cohesion and a true leader, and he excels better than caron has. put butler on the wizards, and i bet he puts little to no effort for that mismanaged team.

my point, i think ariza would have been an amazing fit with the clippers. he has great play off experience, and would have fit with their starting line up prett well. He's a better version of matt barnes in most aspects.
    Last edited by Levity; 02-25-2013 at 04:15 PM.

NBA rookie of the year senelcoolidge's Avatar

Sterling is surprising me. I guess age, the recent deaths of his son and his friend Jerry Buss might be things that are softening up the guy. He cares about his team. Great veto. I didn't know he was so involved..I thought he would just let Sacks make the player decisions. He wants to win. It's a different Sterling.

Quote Originally Posted by senelcoolidge
    Sterling is surprising me. I guess age, the recent deaths of his son and his friend Jerry Buss might be things that are softening up the guy. He cares about his team. Great veto. I didn't know he was so involved..I thought he would just let Sacks make the player decisions. He wants to win. It's a different Sterling.
    . In the article I posted the other day what surprised me most is his wife has been a diehard Clippers fan since he's owned the team. She said it makes her so happy the Clippers are doing well and she's been waiting 30 years for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Clippersfan86
    No doubt Ariza would thrive a lot more here... but it's STILL a neutral trade at best. Ariza isn't going to shoot nearly 40 percent from 3 even on the Clippers and his defense while slightly better, isn't going to make the difference. Basically you're trading a little defense for better midrange shooting and 3 point shooting. Not to mention the leadership/experience trade off I mentioned. In straight basketball terms it was a great veto IMO.

I think it's a huge trade because Butler is an overall negative for the team. He may do well, individually, but he doesn't work for the team.

Ariza doesn't want the ball in his hands. Good. That puts the ball in Blake's hands.

put butler on the wizards, and i bet he puts little to no effort for that mismanaged team.
    Butler was a Wizard back in our "glory days" with Gilbert Arenas. He still has a house here. Wizards fans love the guy. On the contrary, I think he would improve locker room morale a lot, average l5ppg or so, be really good for John Wall, and be yet another step up for the Wizards this year. And the year after that they would be a playoff lock and he *might* even have an outside chance at an all-star nomination (he's a forward and the team would do well).

Quote Originally Posted by Whoah10115
    I think it's a huge trade because Butler is an overall negative for the team. He may do well, individually, but he doesn't work for the team.

Ariza doesn't want the ball in his hands. Good. That puts the ball in Blake's hands.
    I agree he needs the ball but don't let that stray into it being selfish or detrimental. He's been very unselfish and professional. He's really stepped up lately. For example he's averaging 16 ppg on 49 percent the last 5 and his D is up.

Even old ass Butler is better than Ariza. As long as he can stay healthy, Butler is a great shooter and has ice in his veins. Clips are better off just playing Barnes and Hill, who play the exact same role that a guy like Ariza would play.

Quote Originally Posted by bdreason
    Even old ass Butler is better than Ariza. As long as he can stay healthy, Butler is a great shooter and has ice in his veins. Clips are better off just playing Barnes and Hill, who play the exact same role that a guy like Ariza would play.
    Yup. Barnes=Ariza but better this year... so like you said it's just too repetitive. Butler is our 2nd best long range shooter this year and is having a lowkey solid year. It's his 3rd best all around shooting year of his career and he's a far more willing passer this year.

In terms of impact according to WS/48 it's his 3rd most impactful year of his career too. In February he's put up 13 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 1 apg, 1 spg on great efficiency and improved defense in 10 games. Not bad at all and he seems to be rejuvenated since returning from a few days off with injury. In the last 5 he's put up 16 ppg on about 50 percent shooting.

Good High School Starter notatop29pg's Avatar

cf86 - Man, dont let anyone tell you that you'd be better off with Ariza over Butler. Clipps need Butler for his shooting, something Ariza is woeful at. He's athletic and long, but cant finish a layup to save his life. Watched CP3 spoonfeed that guy in Nola just to have him lay bricks. Sterling saved the Clippers.

Certified ISHiot.

This is actually a good decision from Sterling. Trevor Ariza is... not good.

butler has completely killed teams this year on occasion while ariza bums around washington, why the f*ck would he trade butler? I just don't get it. Who cares about running the floor when you already have cp3/griffin and dj? you dont need a 4x100m team to win a championship