Page 35 of 42 FirstFirst ... 2532333435363738 ... LastLast

Default Re: 2013-2014 Observation Deck

Weird how about a month ago it was OKC keeping me from being completely fed up and on the ledge due to my favorite teams (UNC and OKC). Now they've reversed roles as UNC continues winning while the Thunder play like shit.

Incredible game tonight in Raleigh and there was a sick one-on-one battle between Marcus Paige and T.J. Warren. Granted, they didn't guard each other or anything, but they both hit a ton of big shots down the stretch. Paige goes for 35-6-5-2 on 11/21 shooting (31 points in the second half) and goes coast-to-coast for a game winning layup with 0.9 seconds to play. Warren, after a 3/10 first half, scored 36 points on 13/25 shooting and basically answered every UNC basket down the stretch with his own basket.

Some questionable foul calls and no calls (thought Warren got away with some hooks/offensive fouls and some walks on some of his second half scores), but it is what it is. Thought the off the ball foul called on McDonald with 1.5 seconds to go in regulation and UNC up 2 was iffy, too. Thought UNC was dead in the water after falling behind by 6 with under 2 minutes to go in OT, but Paige was f***ing amazing.
    Last edited by KG215; 02-27-2014 at 01:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kNicKz
    UNC is weird . Beating Louisville and MSU shows that they are clearly a serious March threat though....

Had something long-winded, but I'll change it up.

I don't know how often this happens to other people, as I realize I'm fortunate enough to be a fan of a team that regularly competes for a championship.

When I watched Felton at the TOC, then still a junior in high school, I felt it in my gut that he would lead the Tar Heels to a championship. It wasn't until Hansbrough's junior year when he picked the pocket of some Clemson guard near halfcourt and then dove on the loose ball in double overtime when I had the same feeling. I felt it tonight with Marcus Paige. It may not happen this year. Maybe not next season. Maybe it doesn't ever happen (had the same feeling with Kendall Marshall, although Creighton happened). But before tonight I never thought this core roster (and by that, I mean the leader: Paige) had what it takes. I now believe he does.

fwiw, I still think Sweet 16 is the ceiling this year. As great as tonight was, it showed some of the major flaws that gets you knocked out of the tournament: free throws, perimeter shooting, disappearing role players, too reliant on one player, boneheaded mistakes...

Side note: Have to give major props to TJ Warren; he's my pick for ACC POY. Saw the stat during the game and he's the leading scorer in major conferences by over 3 ppg. He's also one of the leading rebounders and thefts in the league and shoots 52% from the field while being game planned against every night. He's a really terrific basketball player.

I post-up midgets magic chiongson's Avatar

arkansas still owns kentucky

Remember how this time last year people were thinking Kentucky's team was "terrible" and whatnot -- and by that I mean mostly Kentucky fans -- but how things were going to be better next year because of the recruits already committed?

After 28 games:

2013: 20-8 (11-4)
    2014: 21-7 (11-4)

Gonna be hilarious, though, if all of Randle, Young, Harrisons, WCS, and even Poythress leave for the draft this year. Randle is the only that absolutely should go, and you could probably say it wouldn't be an awful idea for WCS and Young to go, too. But the others have no business leaving after this year.

UConn can go all the way

Learning to shoot layups

Kentucky is a target. The recruits know what they are getting in to before they sign up. Every night they will go up against guys who are jealous and trying to prove themselves. They will play harder, scrappier, dirtier, and smarter. UK needs to play like the bully on the block; they need to take it straight to their opponents, and for the last 2 years, that has not happened. I am tired of the results as a UK fan, but i also understand that these guys have taken on the challenge and just haven't succeeded.

Wiggins has 0 moves or ballgandling ability.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by IGOTGAME

Quote Originally Posted by IGOTGAME
    Ball handling is so absolutely horrible. No wonder he get almost no half court plays called for him.

The most trouble part about Wiggins is his well documented poor finishing ability. He literally can't finish any contested shot with or without contact: http://deanondraft.com/2014/02/14/an...ordinary-body/

Wiggins made 2 shots today. A very nice iso step back jumper and a 3 point shot. He rebounded and made two of his own misses and tip in an miss by his team.
    Last edited by noob cake; 03-02-2014 at 12:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by noob cake
    Ball handling is so absolutely horrible. No wonder he get almost no half court plays called for him.

The most trouble part about Wiggins is his well documented poor finishing ability. He literally can't any contested shot with or without contact: http://deanondraft.com/2014/02/14/an...ordinary-body/

Wiggins made 2 shots today. A very nice iso step back jumper and a 3 point shot. He rebounded and made two of his own misses and tip in an miss by his team.
    He is talented but he plays soft. I've been pulling for him but watching play is disheartening at times.

Marcus Smart took it straight at Embiid in that 2nd half

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/you-mad...456-ncaab.html

Pat Forde went in hard on Coach Cal.

Quote Originally Posted by Rose
    http://sports.yahoo.com/news/you-mad...456-ncaab.html

Pat Forde went in hard on Coach Cal.
    Coach Cal isn't in a good place right now.

Kentucky looks like hot garbage, there's absolutely no cohesive play going on, just a lot of one on one with very little results. It almost appears as though most of the players are just putting in time, knowing they'll be drafted into the NBA next year.

They have some quality wins, but losses to Arkansas(2), LSU and South Carolina is ugly.