Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Default Re: Someone explain to me how Brook Lopez was a good pick at number 10?

Please stop hating. He's at least way better than Yi Jianlian on the court and probably be a nice role player in the Nets.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddlovesnets
    Please stop hating. He's at least way better than Yi Jianlian on the court and probably be a nice role player in the Nets.
    How do you know? Yi showed some potential last year and it wouldn't shock me if he put up 12 and 6 next season.

Quote Originally Posted by GOBB
    Bayless = Devin Harris, and NJ spent a first rounder on Marcus Williams as well. Why draft Bayless again when Brook was probably the best player that was a big man at that position?

Anthony Randolph is nothing more than a project. He has a long ways to go.

B.Rush I cant argue there. Could replace Vince Carter. But talented big men will be picked over guards 9 out of 10 times. Pretty sure NJ would have got slammed passing a big for a guard.

So draft Bayless and package him away for more/better value? Eh. Maybe.

But at what pick would Brook Lopez have made sense? His brother? Not a lotto pick. But I'm just a lil lost on why Lopez isnt. He's not that bad. And last I checked who is the man in the middle for NJ?

Hibbert? Cut your wrist
    Speights? May have the upside/potential, I cant say he was/is the better player right now. Lopez is better and I'm not a fan of his.

But you respect a Center like Koufos who spends his time shooting jumpers?
    NJ would have got slammed for picking a guard over a big, but what about Arthur? I forgot to mention him. If this bs about a kidney problem didn't come out, he would have been drafted in this area. Hibbert isn't a stud, but he doesn't have "bust" written on his forehead either. Kind of the same deal as Rush. He's slow as hell, but who tested dead last in the 3/4 court sprint and lane agility drill? Brook Lopez. And no I never said I respected Koufos. I just had him rated higher than Lopez. If he can spend most of his time shooting jumpers and shoot over 50%, fine. Similar to Ilgauskas. If Lopez is 7 foot and shoots 46.8%, no way I put him in the lottery.

The reason it was a good pick is because, simply, it was the 10th pick in the draft. Most "locks" to be stars are long gone, so now you are looking for need or upside.

Lopez was clearly the best center in this years draft and the Nets got him. He averaged 20 points/10 rebounds a game. If he ends up being an above average center in the NBA, its a steal.

NBA rookie of the year Da KO King's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by VCMVP1551
    A soft, unathletic big man with average post moves is not a great lottery pick.

He is Chris Mihm part two. Similar skillset, same size, similar athleticism ect...

So what's so great about getting a guy who'll be lucky to be as good as Chris Mihm at number 10?
    You do realize that Chris Mihm was also a top 10 pick right?

Actually if you cared to look into it you'd notice that being 7 feet tall with at least average post moves and athleticism will get you drafted into the top half of the first round.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by Da KO King
    You do realize that Chris Mihm was also a top 10 pick right?
    Yes and would anyone call him a steal?

Actually if you cared to look into it you'd notice that being 7 feet tall with at least average post moves and athleticism will get you drafted into the top half of the first round.
    I don't care, I just don't want to hear about him being a steal in the lottery when he'll probably be an average player at best.

Quote Originally Posted by bagelred
    The reason it was a good pick is because, simply, it was the 10th pick in the draft. Most "locks" to be stars are long gone, so now you are looking for need or upside.

Lopez was clearly the best center in this years draft and the Nets got him. He averaged 20 points/10 rebounds a game. If he ends up being an above average center in the NBA, its a steal.
    You can't boost his #s. He averaged 19/8 on 47% shooting. No way he gets close to 10 rebounds in the league. Lopez is a career 12 ppg,7.5 rpg guy in the nba

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by Posterize246
    You can't boost his #s. He averaged 19/8 on 47% shooting. No way he gets close to 10 rebounds in the league. Lopez is a career 12 ppg,7.5 rpg guy in the nba
    And that's at best. At best he's the next Christian Laettner and most likely he'll be the next Chris Mihm.

I don't care if people think that was an OK pick at 10 considering team needs but I don't want to hear about how it's some great pick or a steal.

Good High School Starter

Yes, Mihm was a steal in 2000!!
    even at no7. he would be even bigger steal had he slipped to 10.

If I redid the draft today, he would go no5, after Mike Miller, K-Mart and Hedo (and of course Redd, but he went no40:)).

check the draft if you don't beleive:
    http://www.nbadraft.net/nba_draft_history/2000.html

Stro, Crawford, Przybilla, Dooling, Ethan Thomas, Des Mason, Q-Rich, Magloire, Mo-Pete, DeShawn Stevenson Brian Cardinal and Marko Jaric are the only competition...
    This years draft may not be much stronger than 2000 was, unfortunately.

And Brook will probably get more chance to shine than Cris did.
    Lopez might easily become a starter in NJ in his rookie year.

And that's at best. At best he's the next Christian Laettner and most likely he'll be the next Chris Mihm.

I don't care if people think that was an OK pick at 10 considering team needs but I don't want to hear about how it's some great pick or a steal.
    seeing how half teams in the league don't have a 12-7 true center, yes he would be a steal.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by fefe
    Yes, Mihm was a steal in 2000!!
    even at no7. he would be even bigger steal had he slipped to 10.

If I redid the draft today, he would go no5, after Mike Miller, K-Mart and Hedo (and of course Redd, but he went no40:)).

check the draft if you don't beleive:
    http://www.nbadraft.net/nba_draft_history/2000.html

Stro, Crawford, Przybilla, Dooling, Ethan Thomas, Des Mason, Q-Rich, Magloire, Mo-Pete, DeShawn Stevenson Brian Cardinal and Marko Jaric are the only competition...
    This years draft may not be much stronger than 2000 was, unfortunately.

And Brook will probably get more chance to shine than Cris did.
    Lopez might easily become a starter in NJ in his rookie year.
    Chris Mihm wasn't hands down better than 6 other players. He was about average as far as even that draft was concerned. And certainly a Chris Mihm type player wouldn't be called a steal in a draft like the 2008 one.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharas
    seeing how half teams in the league don't have a 12-7 true center, yes he would be a steal.
    Do I need to list all of the teams that have 12 and 7 centers? Because easily more than half of the teams have them.

LFC|JAYS|RAPS|VIKES

Why do Brook and Robin talk like they are around some serious hot chicks or something? All deep you know? Especially Brook. Hoffa part 2 sounds good F**K NJ. The best center in the draft will turn out to be one of those potential packed big men McGee, Jordan, Speights, Ajinca (this is my pick), Jawai (homer, but they do call him Aussie Shaq)

yeh

NBA rookie of the year Da KO King's Avatar

I don't care, I just don't want to hear about him being a steal in the lottery when he'll probably be an average player at best.
    So now the point goes from you wanting to know "how Brook Lopez was a good pick at number 10" to you wanting to know if Lopez was "a steal in the lottery"?!?

Stop moving the goalpost and maybe you'll get a real answer.

NBA rookie of the year

So now the point goes from you wanting to know "how Brook Lopez was a good pick at number 10" to you wanting to know if Lopez was "a steal in the lottery"?!?

Stop moving the goalpost and maybe you'll get a real answer.
    Yes answer how he was a "good" or a above average pick at number 10 in a deep draft.

I'd love to hear that answer.

By the way about 17 or 18 teams have centers who can give you 12 and 7.

Good High School Starter

Chris Mihm wasn't hands down better than 6 other players. He was about average as far as even that draft was concerned. And certainly a Chris Mihm type player wouldn't be called a steal in a draft like the 2008 one.
    list 6 players that he is not hands down better (same level is good too, since you take the big man, so Jaric, DesMason types wont work.)

Do I need to list all of the teams that have 12 and 7 centers? Because easily more than half of the teams have them.
    Yes please! list them (only true centers please, no 6-9 guys, like Horfold)