Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: This "Weight-lifting" fad and its effects(negative) on the modern league.

Any time you turn up the volume, you're going to risk waking up the neighbors. Doesn't mean you shouldn't, because a louder party is usually a better party.

Better athletes better players...

Local High School Star

Default Re: This "Weight-lifting" fad and its effects(negative) on the modern league.

Any1 else notice how much bigger iggys,arms/neck/shoulders were then lebrons during the finals?? I mean lebron might weigh more but iggy has to be close because he looks like the biggest mofo in the nba pound 4 pound,Westbrook is a close 2nd...

lebron muscles just don't pop this season like they used to,he looks 275ish 2 years ago and now like 250ish,Iggy looks 250 as well but he's almost 2-3 inches shorter.

Great college starter SyRyanYang's Avatar

Weightlifting doesn't equal bodybuilding. Being strong and explosive doesn't equal being jacked.

Basketball Genius

Quote Originally Posted by GIF REACTION
    A lot of uneducated, never lifted in their life idiots here. Plowking is right.

These players have the best strength and conditioning coaches in the world, access to the best treatment/massage/etc in the world.

You may have a slight point OP but it is a stupid and misinformed one. Players are better athletes today, and the weight to power output is incredibly higher across the board when compared to 50 years ago. It is not extra bulk but the fact that these players are moving with alot more explosion and ferocity. The more explosive you move, the higher chance muscles, ligaments, have of getting injured theoretically... But thinking that way doesn't account for the movement capacity that quality strength training offers... the neurological muscular adaptions, using your muscles more efficiently... Then you have other adaptions over time like increased bone density and stronger ligaments and connective tissues...

Basically, you have more injuries on the court because the game and talent pool is infinitely larger, you have more elite level athleticism across the board... And any time you kick it to max gear, you are putting yourself in a more compromising position if you lose balance or mistep when compared to a 60's athlete who wasn't nearly as explosive. That said, it is not as if players are getting injured every day... The game is transitioning to a faster pace, and favors the most athletic... but they still need to be able to shoot, pass....

Curry is a perfect example of the power to weight ratio done right. He deadlifted 405 and he weighs 180... Even if you just watch him pre game... He does a very smart warm up with a trainer that targets and pre exhausts his hip/trunk stabilizers... And when he plays he does so in a very controlled manner, no unnatural, forced movements. Lebron is like this too... Makes him come off as very stiff in movement, but he rarely gets injured (combination of quality strength training, genetics, HGH usage + anabolics, knowing how to move properly and efficiently)
    you're missing the point.

a basketball player's strength relies in the strength of their core, legs, and their physical conditioning (how long their body can move at maximum effort before it needs to rest).

but if you bulk-up unnecessarily (biceps/triceps/pecs etc) and stress your joints then your body will break down faster, it's just a fact, especially due to all the movement you have to do on the basketball court.

if you see bruce lee for example, he was extremely powerful, but you wouldn't know it by looking at him. why is that? because he practiced cardio intensely. he knew that too much mass would slow him down so that's why he would always place an emphasis on his cardio so that his body would stay slim and toned because too much bulk would slow him down.

people use karl malone as an example but he put in an immense amount of work on his cardio (someone said that he worked out 6-8 hours a day) so that his body was well conditioned for the stress of the basketball court (running and stopping, twisting, turning, etc).

it's like players nowadays have turned ussj instead of ssj2, thinking that they have found the secret when in reality they have only stifled themselves.

here's a good informational video that describes what has happened to the league.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1iF9OSYHlY

ISH's 1st Embiid Stan AboutBuckets's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GIF REACTION
    Lebron is like this too... Makes him come off as very stiff in movement, but he rarely gets injured (combination of quality strength training, genetics, HGH usage + anabolics, knowing how to move properly and efficiently)
    lmao that whole post just to throw the jab at Lebron, well done

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by plowking
    Weightlifting has one of the lowest injury rates, if not the lowest out of all pro sports.

You only become better with weight training. They have the best strength coaches in the world. They aren't doing stupid, pointless exercises. They're having them do functional strength exercises, not bodybuilding shit.

I agree with you with everything. But I will never forget once watching a youtube vid of Hibbert doing trap deadlifts with basketball shoes....I mean when I train I make sure to deadlift barefooted or with flat shoes, not with some basketball squishy shoes, let alone if you're a 7 footer who is probably even more prone to the slightest mistakes when weightlifting.

steroids cause bones to be brittle. i suspect that PG injury is because of steroid overuse. that guy in NCAA that had his leg just break has his legs broken definitely because of steroid overuse.

Injuries have been part of most all major sports, and for years.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

WOAT thread

This guy was trying to flex but had no muscles

Quote Originally Posted by Maga_1
    This is probably the worst thread i've ever read in ISH and that is saying a lot.
    And basketball is not a cardio sport, just saying.

Dude, really? This is no where near some of the worst threads ever at ISH. Matter fact, it's a pretty good thread with interesting debate.

I rule the local playground

Remember when Chris Bosh got up to 250 and then subsequently had knee issues?

Quote Originally Posted by sd3035
    This guy was trying to flex but had no muscles

He obviously had some weight training in his playing days...Imagine if he played today with the new focus on it

Though I'll admit, it looks like he skipped leg day

Quote Originally Posted by sportjames23
    Dude, really? This is no where near some of the worst threads ever at ISH. Matter fact, it's a pretty good thread with interesting debate.
    I'm talking about the content, 90% of the inputs have been wrong.
    I'm saying this not because i know everything about the subject but because i'm building a high level trainning progrm specific for basketball players in off season.

The problem is when guys add too much upper body mass and not enough in the legs to support it(ie McGrady).