Default The hesitation pull up

Hey guys,

Does anyone incorporate this gorgeous move into their game? imo probably one of the best ways to create your own shot although I am still trying to learn it.

Steve Nash's
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyurKXWlK9M

Kevin Durant
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdCKq4Pcn4k

Chris Paul
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIcXy...el_video_title
    1:03 and 1:12

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2COhyi5tAo
    2:10

One thing I notice is that they move sideways to create that space.. kind of like a stepback or just straight up shoot on the face of the defender coming from away.

When do you think the best time to use this move? Also, I noticed that when I step back the defender catches up on my space so probably not the best way to create my own shot and looking for more ways to do it.

Any thoughts on this move? What move do you guys use to create your own shot?

National High School Star

Default Re: The hesitation pull up

I found tht if I do a step back, the d closes in to fast, so a couple to tips are to step toward them first or go for a drive past them then step back, or do a few step backs but don't pick up your dribble or shoot, bait the d into thinking you won't shot it. The d will get slack and not chase you out then your wide open to hit the open j

NBA Superstar

I'm a big fan of the hesitation pull-up. I'd say Chauncey Billups has been my biggest influence in terms of implementing the move into my own game. Through his career in Detroit, he seemed to make a living off of the hesitation and pull. It was his go-to move in nearly any clutch situation. Here's a quick look at Chauncey's: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_X2_pSVSjKU

In terms of usage, I like to keep my options open. Most often, I don't like executing a move that only has one possible option. Instead, I try to respond to how the defense is reacting to a move or how I think they'll be reacting to a move. For instance, I will not perform a hesitation and shoot no matter what. I may hesitate with the intention to shoot, but if a defender's sitting on it, I may forge that hesitation into a drive attempt instead (or maybe reset). It's a similar concept to what Ai2death mentioned with his step-back.

Now, on the topic of stepbacks, they can certainly be effective, but we can't expect them to always be effective. Again, I keep in mind my stepback can lead to a jumper, or it can just be a setup for my next move. In terms of creating an effective step-back, it could definitely take a significant amount of practice. The two toughest parts of mastering (or working toward mastering) my step-back were reminding myself to 1) Stay low and 2) Set my feet before shooting. Too often, strangely enough, it seems like we treat the step-back itself as the move, then everything that comes next as merely an after thought. After a step-back dribble, I think:

1) Stay Low
    2) Regain Balance
    3) Set Feet/Get to Shooting Pocket

Further, I find the best time to use a variable form of a step back is when I have a defender leaning rather heavily on the dribble drive. From there, if I execute some sort of primary move toward the basket, I'll react to my defender's response. If he dropped toward the paint in hopes of beating me to a spot (or even if his body weight is shifted backward), I may look into a pull up or step-back. If the defense recovers especially quickly, it's a good idea to keep the drive-to step-back-back to drive move in the back of your head. Basically, there's a ton of options.

Cool advice damn that chauncey hesitation looks nice! So he moved forward with his right foot first..

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Jyap9675
    Cool advice damn that chauncey hesitation looks nice! So he moved forward with his right foot first..
    Yeah, but I think the first forward step is going to depend which hand the ball is in. I didn't really concentrate on which foot was hitting first. I just sort of stuttered and let my feet play out. It's a little shuffle of the feet on a live dribble. Just something to vaguely mask the thought of a pull-up.

Sam Cassell explains his version of pull up jumpers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PLWvSqkDAU

So simple and yet he's been effective for those moves for many years in the league.

the video below also shows a nice pull up jumper set up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWBvsWPwAJw

Serious playground baller

Nash looks so smooth in that warmup video. It was trying today and its much harder than it looks, at least it is when trying to do it that smooth

Practice doing a hesitation into a dribble-drive. Then try to do a hesitation into a jumper and make it look the same. Don't try to move in a certain direction.

It's all about your vertical on the jumper.

If you do it fast and high enough, you are able to shoot without being disrupted by your defender when he reacts.

I rule the local playground

This type of move is good only against defense that's not so tight, like when you're running or coming out from half court, or just picked up a new defender from a screen.

If you're guarded tightly and well you need a step-back, it's more reliable in general, but it's harder to execute in terms of balance, and etc. Especially if it's a step-back when you gather after the actual step, and not during, that leaves you with a lot of options.

Really great tips, cheers.

o()xxx[{::::::::::::> SourPatchKids's Avatar

Any tips on really disguising this move so you can catch your defender off guard?

this works because they are good ball handlers.

good defenders will block you unless you are ACTUALLY a threat to get by them.

if you are, this move can be DEADLY

Quote Originally Posted by SourPatchKids
    Any tips on really disguising this move so you can catch your defender off guard?
    1) make them bite on a hard dribble

2) hesitate as if you are gonna change speeds and change direction

3) pull up

after step 2 you have to already have convinced the defender that you are about to blow by them the other way.

once you see the fear of god in their eyes, it is time to strike.

Just an update, I normally use the hesitation pull up by CP3 where its between the legs cross from right hand to left hand with a bit of step back and then shoot. As people said before this move is mostly effective if the defender is giving you space. The only advantage of this move over the stepback is that you don't have to use as much energy.

Even then, on organised 5 on 5 basketball I seldom use this move since there are just better ways of scoring.

If I have a good defender on me, I usually ask for picks or just drive and dish. And usually I'll just wait for catch and shoot with my feet set and just follow through upon receiving the ball, much higher percentage shot for me.