Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    An uglier Lamar Doom boozehound's Avatar

Default Re: Obama sets a food stamp record...AGAIN.

Quote Originally Posted by Derka
    That part sounds like complete shit to me.

Walmart's no angel, but they're certainly not the devil that organized labor and the media like to make them out to be. Labor's interest in Walmart has exactly squat to do with helping associates and everything to do with one thing only: 1.4 million people in the US forking up union dues; people who are already underpaid and won't be guaranteed any substantial pay raise due to any union effort.
    you say this, but the union workers I know all have very good paychecks and great benefits. Meanwhile, walmart pays it employees substantially less than other similar businesses and there is no denying that its employees are the largest user of federal assistance in every state with data (about 24 IIRC). This isnt about demonizing anyone. Its about the facts behind a labor system that purposefully steers its employees to public assistance (and limits hours, etc) to provide what it wont.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeDelonte13
    You don't know what unions actually do, do you?
    No, because I've been living under a rock for the last 30-odd years and haven't ever read a history book. Please Mr. Condescending Internet Person, tell me what unions do.

No, because I've been living under a rock for the last 30-odd years and haven't ever read a history book. Please Mr. Condescending Internet Person, tell me what unions do.
    uhm, 40 hour work week, child labor laws, OHSA, minimum wages, pensions, overtime laws are just a few of the things you should thank a union member for.

Quote Originally Posted by boozehound
    you say this, but the union workers I know all have very good paychecks and great benefits. Meanwhile, walmart pays it employees substantially less than other similar businesses and there is no denying that its employees are the largest user of federal assistance in every state with data (about 24 IIRC). This isnt about demonizing anyone. Its about the facts behind a labor system that purposefully steers its employees to public assistance (and limits hours, etc) to provide what it wont.
    Walmart does not pay substantially less. At all. Source all the studies you want, I work in the industry and its just not true. I've seen the raw unpublished data with my own eyes year after year since I started working in retail. Compared to other big box retailers, wages are about the same. A person leaving Walmart to go do the same job at Target isn't taking a substantial pay raise to do so. Same situation for benefits and medical.

As for the studies Politifact sources, I'd need to see the raw data before I believe I'm not reading data that was intended to fit a pre-determined conclusion. The article itself says that most of the available data for fact-checking comes from less-than-objective sources. There's Facts and then there's "facts".

Quote Originally Posted by MMM
    Republicans believe in "forcing people to give to other" as well.
    How so.

uhm, 40 hour work week, child labor laws, OHSA, minimum wages, pensions, overtime laws are just a few of the things you should thank a union member for.
    Not all of those are perfectly good.

Personally though, the government shouldn't set laws about whether there can be a union or not. They shouldn't limit their rights (Republicans), or strengthen their rights (Democrats). But they shouldn't complain at all when they get fired for striking. In fact, I enjoy it when they do.

Sarcasm. Seriously.

We're not at the outset of the Industrial Revolution anymore. I say Walmart doesn't need a union and you come at me with child labor and OSHA? There's not a single Walmart associate who can't go to his/her store manager and say "I'm not paid enough to live and this is why I should be getting paid more" and not at the very least have a serious dialogue about the topic. Much like with a union, nothing's guaranteed. But I'll speak for myself over paying someone else to do it for me.

Walmart does not pay substantially less. At all.

complete nonsense. wal mart treats the vast majority of their employees like shit, FACT.

you claim walmarts compensation is the same as most other big box retailers? compare walmart compensation with that of costco. costco is the perfect example of how a giant retailer can be successful and profitable while providing their employees with good health care and a good salary.

http://www.slate.com/articles/busine...e_machine.html
    Last edited by Nanners; 12-11-2012 at 07:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nanners
    complete nonsense. wal mart treats the vast majority of their employees like shit, FACT.

compare walmart compensation with that of a company like costco. costco is the perfect example of how a giant retailer can be successful and profitable while providing their employees with good health care and a good salary.

http://www.slate.com/articles/busine...e_machine.html
    First line of the article. "Nearly everyone who's looked at Wal-Mart's practices as an employer—its union busting, sex discrimination, low wages, and minimal benefits—has concluded that it's America's retail bad guy." Obviously no agenda there whatsoever, amirite??

Every one of those things is provably untrue if you've actually worked for the company. But if random internet articles says its true, it must be. After all, people never lie on the internet or manipulate data to further an agenda or just be outrageous ***** in the name of increasing web traffic.

If you're just gonna cite what other people tell you, keep quiet. You have no idea what you're talking about.

Edit: Article's from 2008. Come on now.
    Last edited by Derka; 12-11-2012 at 07:51 PM.

Gonna duck out of this one before you all get mad or something.

lol, studies you found on the internet. And you people believe them. Classic!

Adios.

First line of the article. "Nearly everyone who's looked at Wal-Mart's practices as an employer—its union busting, sex discrimination, low wages, and minimal benefits—has concluded that it's America's retail bad guy." Obviously no agenda there whatsoever, amirite??

Every one of those things is provably untrue if you've actually worked for the company. But if random internet articles says its true, it must be. After all, people never lie on the internet or manipulate data to further an agenda or just be outrageous ***** in the name of increasing web traffic.

If you're just gonna cite what other people tell you, keep quiet. You have no idea what you're talking about.

lol, are you kidding me? unless i am going to come and spout anecdotal evidence like you i should keep quiet?

news flash:just because you work at walmart doesnt make you any more of an expert on big box retailers than any random scrub who works retail. seriously are you joking with your nonsense? studies on the internet >>>> some moron who claims to have worked at walmart.

The most recent data I can find puts the hourly wage for costco workers at $17 per hour, while the hourly wage for walmart employees is $10 per hour.

NBA rookie of the year

Gonna duck out of this one before you all get mad or something.

lol, studies you found on the internet. And you people believe them. Classic!

Adios.
    Why are published studies less reliable than your anecdotes, which even you are admittedly unsure of?

Every one of those things is provably untrue if you've actually worked for the company.
    Last edited by Scoooter; 12-11-2012 at 08:25 PM.

Sarcasm. Seriously.

We're not at the outset of the Industrial Revolution anymore. I say Walmart doesn't need a union and you come at me with child labor and OSHA? There's not a single Walmart associate who can't go to his/her store manager and say "I'm not paid enough to live and this is why I should be getting paid more" and not at the very least have a serious dialogue about the topic. Much like with a union, nothing's guaranteed. But I'll speak for myself over paying someone else to do it for me.
    you do realize the 40 hour work week is from 1940? This isnt ancient history, but only 2 generations of laborers past. SMFH at you negating the impact of unions for a positive change for laborers.

so your ****ing limited personal experience, with no data on your side at all, is more reliable than study after study showing that walmart employees use public assistance at a much higher rate than any other group (let alone other retail employees)? OK there. Keep defending your overlord.

Quote Originally Posted by longhornfan1234
    LOL, churches and private charities would cover the loss of welfare.

no.

not even close man.