Page 71 of 80 FirstFirst ... 216168697071727374 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,065 of 1196
    College star

Default Re: Lebron James vs Kobe Bryant, in the season, in MVP talk, more

Kobe groupies are hysterical. Kobe on the decline? He's playing his best defense ever, distributes the ball like in the early 3peat years, and though his scoring is down to 28 ppg, it's on improved efficiency.

Don't sh!t your pants because he's not scoring 40+ regularly anymore. He's playing better overall basketball now.

Good High School Starter

Quote Originally Posted by Brunch@Five
    Kobe groupies are hysterical. Kobe on the decline? He's playing his best defense ever, distributes the ball like in the early 3peat years, and though his scoring is down to 28 ppg, it's on improved efficiency.

Don't sh!t your pants because he's not scoring 40+ regularly anymore. He's playing better overall basketball now.
    Don't be a fool. He's still great but his elavation/speed/quickness are clearly not the same. I think anybody whose watched Laker games this year knows Kobe is'nt finding things quite as easily.But agree to disagree.

College star

Quote Originally Posted by KINGD
    Don't be a fool. He's still great but his elavation/speed/quickness are clearly not the same. I think anybody whose watched Laker games this year knows Kobe is'nt finding things quite as easily.But agree to disagree.
    I agree he's beyond his peak athletically, but not overall. He's defending, distributing, rebounding and leading better than in past years. Only thing he's doing worse is scoring.

Good High School Starter

Quote Originally Posted by Brunch@Five
    I agree he's beyond his peak athletically, but not overall. He's defending, distributing, rebounding and leading better than in past years. Only thing he's doing worse is scoring.
    Indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by KINGD
    BTW Kobe is clearly on the decline. His jumper has been off all year because he's not getting the same lift/seperation anymore.It sucks too see but its true. I mean friggin Azubike(who?) was damn near blocking/heavily contesting his shot all night.
    I don't think it was off all year. It looked pretty during that time when Kwame was traded and when he hurt his finger. He shot 51% through February.

I think his finger is what's affecting him most. This free throw shooting has been on the decline lately. Also remember that it's the end of the season. His legs are probably pretty tired.

While he's past his peak athletically, I think he actually looks a bit quicker this year on offense and defense. His jumping ability has decreased though.

Local High School Star

lebron can forget about it after tonight. What a coldblooded dominate performance in the 4th by Kobe. If they don't give it to Kobe I'm done following the NBA

Saw a basketball once

Quote Originally Posted by demons2005
    lebron can forget about it after tonight. What a coldblooded dominate performance in the 4th by Kobe. If they don't give it to Kobe I'm done following the NBA
    Kobe almost lost the game for us in the end with poor shot selection. Lamar Odom won the game for the Lakers with 23 points 21 rebounds. This game didn't help Kobe's mvp chances at all.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by Justinxpx109
    Kobe almost lost the game for us in the end with poor shot selection. Lamar Odom won the game for the Lakers with 23 points 21 rebounds. This game didn't help Kobe's mvp chances at all.
    i wrote this in the 4th when he was bringing them back in the game. look at the timestamp

Saw a basketball once

Oh my bad, but still playing horrible all game and then finally making a few shots doesn't mean Kobe deserves mvp.

Banned

Kobe has been playing non-MVP basketball the past week or so. I don't know IF he's tired, IF his pinky is hurting him more than he is letting be known, IF he's suffering from another undisclosed injury.....or the fact that he's getting older and his game is regressing in the process?

Whatever it is, Kobe Bean Bryant looks like a shell of his former self. He's getting ZERO seperation and elevation from his defender on his jumpshot. His shot selection is absolutely horrific. He's unable to drive to the hoop when his jumper is not falling. This is NOT the Kobe Bryant I'm used to watching the past few years.

He went 24-60 against one of the weakest defensive teams in the league (Golden State) the past 2 games. His jumper is flat and his legs look extremely fatigued.

The MVP race is going to come down to Chris Paul and LeBron James (I give LeBron the edge right now).

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon
    Kobe has been playing non-MVP basketball the past week or so. I don't know IF he's tired, IF his pinky is hurting him more than he is letting be known, IF he's suffering from another undisclosed injury.....or the fact that he's getting older and his game is regressing in the process?

Whatever it is, Kobe Bean Bryant looks like a shell of his former self. He's getting ZERO seperation and elevation from his defender on his jumpshot. His shot selection is absolutely horrific. He's unable to drive to the hoop when his jumper is not falling. This is NOT the Kobe Bryant I'm used to watching the past few years.

He went 24-60 against one of the weakest defensive teams in the league (Golden State) the past 2 games. His jumper is flat and his legs look extremely fatigued.

The MVP race is going to come down to Chris Paul and LeBron James (I give LeBron the edge right now).
    Wow.... Shocking to hear you say that.

Not to try to put fuel on this fire, but I have noticed a major decline in Kobe's explosiveness the second half of the season. Like I noted in a game thread many months ago...

There was a time when defenses had to guard against Kobe's dribble drive as his main weapon. The jumpshot, while good, was there as a backup if he didn't have a driving lane or the defense was playing off of him.

Now, it seems as though he has to consciously make a decision to go to the basket. It doesn't come as naturally to him as it once did. His natural inclination is to shoot the jumper and, if that isn't there, he either passes off or OCCASIONALLY drives to the basket... and his first step and explosiveness at the hoop are not the same as they were a couple of years ago.

Kobe is having a terrific season, but I can see what Poseidon is saying. I'm starting to wonder whether Kobe has already reached his peak and is now on the other side of the 'mountain,' so to speak... on the decline.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
    Wow.... Shocking to hear you say that.

Not to try to put fuel on this fire, but I have noticed a major decline in Kobe's explosiveness the second half of the season. Like I noted in a game thread many months ago...

There was a time when defenses had to guard against Kobe's dribble drive as his main weapon. The jumpshot, while good, was there as a backup if he didn't have a driving lane or the defense was playing off of him.

Now, it seems as though he has to consciously make a decision to go to the basket. It doesn't come as naturally to him as it once did. His natural inclination is to shoot the jumper and, if that isn't there, he either passes off or OCCASIONALLY drives to the basket... and his first step and explosiveness at the hoop are not the same as they were a couple of years ago.

Kobe is having a terrific season, but I can see what Poseidon is saying. I'm starting to wonder whether Kobe has already reached his peak and is now on the other side of the 'mountain,' so to speak... on the decline.
    No doubt that Kobe is crawling down the other side of the "mountain" right now.....and you know what, it's expected. I don't know how any Lakers fan can be shocked at the thought of Kobe losing a step or two?

He's towards the end of his 13th year right now and has played a ton of games (including regular season + post season). He's had a few major injuries the past couple of years (shoulder, knee ankle to name a few). Kobe is definitely an OLD "29" in basketball years.

Unlike many here, I'm NOT in denial. I understand the "numbers" of a professional athlete, especially in a physically-dominated sport like professional basketball.

While Kobe is still a Top 5 player in the league, he just simply can not perform to the level he did a couple of years ago or even last season. Kobe's main "bread n' butter" is his jumpshot. He used to kill his opponents whereby he would jump higher and get more separation in the process. This season the defender is right there with Kobe when he goes up for a shot. I can't tell you how many times I've seen the defense stuff Kobe on a fadeaway jumper or simple jumpshot this season. That NEVER happened in the past.

You know what, it's perfectly okay to say that Kobe has "peaked" and his game is starting to decline. No shame in that. It happens to all the great players in EVERY sport. Kobe is no different. In a few years we will see the same thing happen to LeBron James.

Kobe has played extremely well this season, but in my opinion....he's NOT the MVP of the league. Why? Because I think that award should go to the BEST/Most Outstanding player in the league.....not the top dawg on the top team. Kobe should have wion the award the past 2 seasons for the SAME exact reason why I think LeBron should win it THIS season.

Honestly, the MVP award means absolutely NOTHING anymore.....ever since Nash (twice) and Dirk took home the award. It's completely lost it's luster the past 3 seasons.
    Last edited by Poseidon; 03-25-2008 at 04:05 AM.

College star

That discussion is just stupid. Kobe is averaging 31/8/5 for the month of march right now. Yes, he's past his athletic peak, but you gotta be blind not seeing that he's playing better overall basketball this year.

Another Laker Dynasty? bleedinpurpleTwo's Avatar

"He's my vote for MVP," Warriors head coach Don Nelson said. "He's the best of the best and deserves the award more than, I think, anybody else and I hope he gets it. He's a marvelous player, makes everybody else better. There isn't anything that he doesn't do. He's a pretty sensational player."

He's fine. Probably just tired. Kobe also tweaked his ankle in the first Warriors game. You'd also be kidding yourself if you think he's not saving himself somewhat for playoffs.

Once Gasol and/or Bynum get back his minutes will go down and his FG% will go up. I wouldn't worry about him at all.