Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    National High School Star

Default Why is bball so fake/bad in shows and movies

I swear like every show has at least one scene at some point of some of the cast playing hoops. They always look so ridiculous awful and fake. Always talking trash...like that is what really happens when two work people go out to shoot around for fun. Just OD OD OD always. Even when the show, like CSI, is about a basketball star...the scenes for hoops of the "star players" are just cringe worthy bad. Anybody else get annoyed by this?

NBA sixth man of the year miller-time's Avatar

Default Re: Why is bball so fake/bad in shows and movies

Even the one in The Amazing Spiderman looked stupid. I know he is Spiderman but that dunk just sucked.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMElfNC4_oo

Quote Originally Posted by moe94
    What really pisses me off is that they tried playing off the idea that anyone would buy Efron even making any basketball team, let alone the damn star of a successful varsity team. The guy could not dribble whatsoever and his shot was hilariously awkward. The people into those films have no idea about basketball nor do they care so they can get away with it.

High School Musical is a great trilogy. Just STFU.

I'm sure someone who jams to Hannah Montana is qualified to speak on this matter.
    *crickets*

Let me guess.. you weren't able to live vicariously through said Efron because he's a lot better looking than you, so you come on here discrediting good films like a bitter drunk. Thing is, basketball wasn't the main aspect of the film. It was the choreographed music scenes and dialogue that put it over the top.

You're attacking me personally because I clowned HSM? Were you in the crew?

Those films are complete trash and are made solely for preteen girls. I have no idea what you're trying to prove here.
    You're attacking High School Musical 'personally' and discrediting the actors, writers, directors, etc.

Really? A lot of those actors got their big break from that film. It was a stacked lineup. It's obviously movie for younger folks.

Here, let me discredit Lion King cuz it's made for kids.

God damn dude. Just admit they were good films that did what they were supposed to do. LOL @ you calling it out for not having realistic basketball scenes. I mean, really? Do you understand how ****ing ridiculous that is?

These are Disney films, buddy. Go watch White Men Can't Jump for some quality basketball cinema, asshole.

Banned

Moe and Budda act like a married couple on ISH

Is this guy really posting paragraphs about High School Musical? It's expected of me, but damn, you've hit a new low. Dissapointed.

Quote Originally Posted by zoom17
    Moe and Budda act like a married couple on ISH
    They're alts.

Backpedal much? I like film and you acted like you knew what you were talking about. Sorry, sometimes I call your BS.
    Nothing you said was true at all. Poorly acted? Lazy production?

No you don't know what you're talking about. So you like rotten tomatoes, congrats. Doesn't mean you know shit about good cinema, you POS. :)

Mozart Basketball no pun intended's Avatar

NBA Superstar

I've thought about this for a while. I think the basketball is so fake because in many cases, the only folks who'll object will be those who specialize in the game. There's been a lot of basketball scenes that have stuck out to me like a sore thumb, but then non-basketball playing female friends would just readily accept them as a part of the movie.

My feelings on fake basketball scenes has now always made me wonder about authenticity whenever any type of skill is shown on TV or cinema. For instance, I used to just accept this scene as a funny climax to an episode of the Fresh Prince, but are there any pool sharks who get seriously annoyed at scenes like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7u1SGsT51w?

I mean, are there forums where folks are like, "What's the story with the camera filming Uncle Phil hitting the ball then cutting away to four balls going in at once?" That'd be the equivalent of an awful looking jump shot from the right wing cutting to a close up of the rim and the ball swishing through with trajectory coming from the left, yeah?

Sidenote, nice collection of the worst basketball scenes in TV and film history: http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=214011
    Last edited by Rake2204; 01-19-2014 at 11:26 AM.

Banned

Most of the films are not about basketball. They are just a scene

Probably because a movie/tv show takes a long ass time to shoot on its own, and in the grand scheme of things the realistic intensity of a basketball game in the middle of that shooting is very low on their list of priorities.

The game is usually just used to move the plot along or set something else up, so they want you to focus more on the plot than the actual game. Plus like Rake said, the only people who are gonna care or notice are basketball fans

I mean look at any scene where people are driving and having a conversation. Are we pointing out their unrealistic driving patterns? The fact that nobody ever turns corners, merges into another lane or even stops casually moving the steering wheel back and forth like a baby with a fake car toy. But people don't really point it out because realistic driving isn't the focal point. They want you to focus on what the characters are talking about, just like in a basketball scene they want you to focus on the main characters rather than whether or not #12 on the other team should be called for defensive 3-seconds

Boxing is even worse. Who can take 5 straight power shots from a heavyweight fighter?

It's also very rare to get actors who can play basketball. Or basketball players who can act. And neither is a skill you can pick up really quickly in time to make a movie. You

Jimmy Chitwood in Hoosiers, has got real good form on his shot. You know what he doesn't have is an acting career.