Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345
    Serious playground baller RobertdeMeijer's Avatar

Default Re: The last time I played basketball...

Missed both a left and right handed hookshot, but was still able to do some mean shake and bake post moves that lead to easy layups

Oh, and got tired fast. After ten minutes or so my heart was pumping battery acid.

NBA sixth man of the year Levity's Avatar

For all those saying theyre too old, how old are you?

Im curious because im 26, but besides the occasional achy bones and muscles, i see or feel no signs of slowing down. and thats with league games twice a week.

Last time I played basketball my jumper was pretty wet. First I hit 2 open jumpshots then I got hot and hit 2-3 fadeaway and stepback jumpers (like my boy J.R.Smith does ).

I got a chance to win the game but I missed a game winner.
    My team eventually won though.

The last time I played basketball I realized Im no longer one of the quicker guys out there and am turning into a spot up shooter. Im also realizing that without the speed my handles are alot weaker than I thought they were since I cant just take a couple dribbles to make a move. I still have quick hands and get alot of deflections.

Quote Originally Posted by Levity

Im curious because im 26, but besides the occasional achy bones and muscles, i see or feel no signs of slowing down. and thats with league games twice a week.

Of course you won't feel it at 26, especially playing only twice a week.

League games are lame anyway. I remember i used to play almost the whole game and wasn't even tired. Sometimes i would go play pickup after a league game.

Wait another 10 years (which i passed awhile ago) then you will understand.

NBA sixth man of the year Levity's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tontoz
    Of course you won't feel it at 26, especially playing only twice a week.

League games are lame anyway. I remember i used to play almost the whole game and wasn't even tired. Sometimes i would go play pickup after a league game.

Wait another 10 years (which i passed awhile ago) then you will understand.
    thats why i wanted to see how old everyone was. Wasnt sure if it was people in their late 20's complaining the games take a toll on their body or if it was older posters. And I completely agree about league games. Every game feels like a warm up, and i always find myself wanting to go back to back games after. Thats why you can find me at the gym or parks playing pick up games 3-5 days a week. But seeing as I should have at least 10 more good years left in my legs, im not complaining.

I can count on 1 hand how many times I dribbled a basketball with fingers to spare. I'll stick to video games.

thats why i wanted to see how old everyone was. Wasnt sure if it was people in their late 20's complaining the games take a toll on their body or if it was older posters. And I completely agree about league games. Every game feels like a warm up, and i always find myself wanting to go back to back games after. Thats why you can find me at the gym or parks playing pick up games 3-5 days a week. But seeing as I should have at least 10 more good years left in my legs, im not complaining.

I stopped at 40 but i probably could have kept going. I just couldn't play at the level i wanted to play so i stopped. Plus i would have been sore all the time. It takes forever to recover from those routine aches when you get older.

I never had any major foot/leg injuries and I'm a runner so i lasted longer than a lot of guys. I can still beat my younger cousins 1 on 1 and they are playing college ball (Div 3).

I have seen some pretty ugly injuries happen to other guys. A major injury really takes a toll.

NBA Superstar

I was wondering the same thing. I'm 28 and still making it happen. I know a lot of folks my age and younger though who play the "I'm too old" card. I was curious if there were 20 year olds making that same declaration here.

Quote Originally Posted by tontoz
    I stopped at 40 but i probably could have kept going. I just couldn't play at the level i wanted to play so i stopped. Plus i would have been sore all the time. It takes forever to recover from those routine aches when you get older.

I never had any major foot/leg injuries and I'm a runner so i lasted longer than a lot of guys. I can still beat my younger cousins 1 on 1 and they are playing college ball (Div 3).

I have seen some pretty ugly injuries happen to other guys. A major injury really takes a toll.
    Are you still a runner? Did running take the place of basketball? I know I won't be able to play basketball like I do now until the end of time, so I've been trying to pre-plan and figure out what kind of exercise can take its place full-time once I'm through. I mountain bike, kayak, hike, etc. but I'm wondering if I could successfully turn all those into my primary physical activities instead of secondary (to basketball) as they are now.
    Last edited by Rake2204; 12-10-2012 at 05:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    I was wondering the same thing. I'm 28 and still making it happen. I know a lot of folks my age and younger though who play the "I'm too old" card. I was curious if there were 20 year olds making that same declaration here.

Are you still a runner? Did running take the place of basketball? I know I won't be able to play basketball like I do now until the end of time, so I've been trying to pre-plan and figure out what kind of exercise can take its place full-time once I'm through. I mountain bike, kayak, hike, etc. but I'm wondering if I could successfully turn all those into my primary physical activities instead of secondary (to basketball) as they are now.

Running didn't take the place of basketball. I ran so i could play basketball. If i had stopped running i would have ended up giving up basketball much sooner. I only run 3 miles roughly 4 times a week which is enough to keep me in decent shape without putting too much stress on my knees.

Competitively my main sport is golf now lol.