Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789
    Local High School Star DirtySanchez's Avatar

Default Re: David Stern to Jim Rome: "Do you still beat your wife?"

Crazy exchange...

But more then anything Stern sounds like he is hiding something.
    It's obvious right? Stern is a c0ck blocking mofo...touche Stern touche.

TheBluest
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Default Re: Stern: "Do you still beat your wife?"

Quote Originally Posted by dunksby
    Damn too many idiots here supporting another idiot. Asking if the lottery was rigged undermines the integrity of the ENTIRE NBA including your favorite teams and their management and their players and anyone who is involved in this. This Rome moron has no evidence to support this serious accusation and Stern could easily haul his ass to a court and sue the living **** out of him.

Without fans there is no NBA

Without the media there is no NBA

Both work hand in hand with each other to a large degree. The media is the extension of the fan base. If Stern was at a summit Q&A open to the public he would have had an unspecified number of fans wanting to ask him the same question or close to it

Let's use a more mature mind here.

Rome wasn't asking him so much to answer the question Yes or No. What he was asking Stern is to use the platform he had at the moment to ease a conspiracy theory fan base as much as possible with the results from the lottery and the process in general.

Stern once again could have responded and told him the question at it's face value wasn't fair....then go on to answer NO but then review some finer details of the lottery process again to quell some of the skepticism.

Any professional in such an environment that is broad and vast with customers from all walks of life like the NBA, must conduct themselves professionally because not all are astute in mind nor reasoning. Not to mention his response no matter how common or uncommon it is was insensitive to those who are ignorant to the meaning primarily those of the NBA fan base who been involved in domestic violence issues.

Stern got pushed in the back by Rome..... due to his brass and pompous persona Stern proceeded to elbow Rome in the back of the neck temple area Ron Artest style retaliation....therefore automatic suspension for Stern according to Stern's way of doing things

Saw a basketball once

Stern has been on Rome's shows for years and they've always had a bit of a contentious relationship, but it's usually playful banter abou the WNBA and sh!t like that... bottom-line here is that Stern came off as a major league assshat ... just shows what an egomaniacal bully he has become... dood used to be the greatest commissioner in the history of sports but is now basically a cartoonish mockery of his former self... maybe 28 years is just too long to have that much power without becoming a complete prick.

the other thing, i think rome knew what the "are you still beating your wife" comment meant, i knew what it meant, but it's clear from prior posts here that a LOT of folks took it as rome actually used to beat his wife and stern knew that a significant segment of rome's audience wouldn't be aware of using a loaded question as a rhetorical tool...

Quote Originally Posted by TheBluest
    Without fans there is no NBA

Without the media there is no NBA

Both work hand in hand with each other to a large degree. The media is the extension of the fan base. If Stern was at a summit Q&A open to the public he would have had an unspecified number of fans wanting to ask him the same question or close to it

Let's use a more mature mind here.

Rome wasn't asking him so much to answer the question Yes or No. What he was asking Stern is to use the platform he had at the moment to ease a conspiracy theory fan base as much as possible with the results from the lottery and the process in general.

Stern once again could have responded and told him the question at it's face value wasn't fair....then go on to answer NO but then review some finer details of the lottery process again to quell some of the skepticism.

Any professional in such an environment that is broad and vast with customers from all walks of life like the NBA, must conduct themselves professionally because not all are astute in mind nor reasoning. Not to mention his response no matter how common or uncommon it is was insensitive to those who are ignorant to the meaning primarily those of the NBA fan base who been involved in domestic violence issues.

Stern got pushed in the back by Rome..... due to his brass and pompous persona Stern proceeded to elbow Rome in the back of the neck temple area Ron Artest style retaliation....therefore automatic suspension for Stern according to Stern's way of doing things

Mozart Basketball no pun intended's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by YAWN
    stern sounds like such a douche there. hope the next guy is a bit more likable.
    Adam Silver? He sucks too.

NBA Superstar

I don't care much to deconstruct this exchange. I don't particularly think there's a ton to be read into things, in regards to the folks who believe Stern's annoyance insinuates a conspiracy and whatnot. I just thought the interview was flat out entertaining. Of all the athletic commissioners I've watched or listened to throughout my life, David Stern is my favorite. Many of his moves are not popular, though often they are moves that are agreeable with me in terms of logic. On top of that, his wit appears to be dry, and I enjoy that.

Quote Originally Posted by no pun intended
    Adam Silver? He sucks too.
    Yep. All of these guys are twisted crooks and should never be trusted.

I don't get picked last at the park anymore Troutfisch's Avatar

I am both shocked and humored by this exchange, especially towards the end where Rome got offended...

Quote Originally Posted by TheBluest

Excellent post.

Mozart Basketball no pun intended's Avatar

Rome- That was not a cheap thrill. We are all just wondering about it.

Stern- Well, it's a cheap trick.

Rome- No, flopping is a cheap trick.

THIS GUY IS A JOKER.

Very good NBA starter

Wow Emperor Stern strikes again. This guy is a complete ass-hole. I do like how he used his lawyer tricks to turn the conversation back onto Rome But this guy was way out of line at some points in the interview.

College star

Stern should get in trouble for that Wife beating comment. He needs to come out and apologize for that comment and something needs to be done.

the guy rules over the league and the players with an iron fist and suspends and/or fines everyone on will. Players are not allowed to make such comments yet he goes out and says it? The guy truly acted as an a-hole.

Jim Rome is a true a$$ and this is what he does. Stern should have known this and behaved like a commissioner and not Ron Artest.

Good High School Starter

Quote Originally Posted by NobleDrewAli
    Stern has been on Rome's shows for years and they've always had a bit of a contentious relationship, but it's usually playful banter abou the WNBA and sh!t like that... bottom-line here is that Stern came off as a major league assshat ... just shows what an egomaniacal bully he has become... dood used to be the greatest commissioner in the history of sports but is now basically a cartoonish mockery of his former self... maybe 28 years is just too long to have that much power without becoming a complete prick.

the other thing, i think rome knew what the "are you still beating your wife" comment meant, i knew what it meant, but it's clear from prior posts here that a LOT of folks took it as rome actually used to beat his wife and stern knew that a significant segment of rome's audience wouldn't be aware of using a loaded question as a rhetorical tool...
    Then what did it mean exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by L8k3r5
    Then what did it mean exactly?
    A loaded question is a question which contains a controversial or unjustified assumption, e.g., a presumption of guilt.[1]
    Aside from being a logical fallacy, such questions may be used as a rhetorical tool: the question attempts to limit direct replies to be those that serve the questioner's agenda.[2] The traditional example is the question "Have you stopped beating your wife?" Whether the respondent answers yes or no, he will admit to having a wife, and having beaten her at some time in the past. Thus, these facts are presupposed by the question, and in this case an entrapment, because it narrows the respondent to a single answer, and the fallacy of many questions has been committed.[2]
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loaded_question